I Grew My Hair Back And I Have Taken A Lot Of Pics

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I am 32 years old. I decided to start my own thread after another user on here made a post about my results on Reddit. I have no problem whatsoever with the other user doing that and I'm glad he did...so here I am.

I'll try to keep this simple:
  • I had VERY thick hair when I was younger but knew I'd lose it, just like my dad and his dad
  • I started using minoxidil but NOTHING else when my temples started going when I was 26 (2012)
  • Minoxidil made no difference; not did it slow down hair loss.
  • I stopped using minoxidil after 2 years, when I was 28 (2014).
  • My hair loss was only at my temples for now, so I gave up and stopped trying to grow my hair back at all
FAST FORWARD 3 YEARS (2017)...
  • I got to 31 and I began to diffuse thin on top
  • I used Toppik but it got worse and worse
NOW GO TO MARCH 2018 (yes, only 7 months ago)...
  • I was still using Toppik but it was becoming obvious
  • My hair was so thin that I had to shave or get a transplant
  • I went online for 20 mins and found a study about dermarolling
  • I started dermarolling once a week and using minoxidil again.
MY REGIMEN:
  • I started with a 1.5mm dermaroller 1x a week -
  • Now I use a 2.0mm dermapen 1x a week -
  • I apply minoxidil 2x daily but NOT on the day I use the dermapan -
  • That is all - I do not take supplements and my diet is absolutely terrible.
  • I DO NOT TAKE finasteride. I get asked this a lot so please try to avoid asking.

Last edited by a moderator:

thiswomps

Reaction score
But how is the hairline? Cant seem to tell from the pics. And did you begin losing hair at the temples?

thiswomps

Reaction score
I'll upload more pics but I thought what I'd shown already was pretty miraculous lol. The hairline is way better. Temples are coming in more and more.

EDIT: Watch the videos because my hair is soaking in both of them and I pull my hair all the way back, exposing the hairline.

That's pretty crazy. I want to get off finasteride pretty badly, but dont know if trying this is worth the risk.

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's pretty interesting. Do you happen to know what the rationale is to not apply min after microneedling? Perhaps the growth would be better with dermarolling and applying min?

bigjimmy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's pretty interesting. Do you happen to know what the rationale is to not apply min after microneedling? Perhaps the growth would be better with dermarolling and applying min?

because you can absorb too much and cause side effects

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Chris and I am 32 years old. I decided to start my own thread after another user on here made a post about my results on Reddit. I have no problem whatsoever with the other user doing that and I'm glad he did...so here I am.

I'll try to keep this simple:
  • I had VERY thick hair when I was younger but knew I'd lose it, just like my dad and his dad
  • I started using minoxidil but NOTHING else when my temples started going when I was 26 (2012)
  • Minoxidil made no difference; not did it slow down hair loss.
  • I stopped using minoxidil after 2 years, when I was 28 (2014).
  • My hair loss was only at my temples for now, so I gave up and stopped trying to grow my hair back at all
FAST FORWARD 3 YEARS (2017)...
  • I got to 31 and I began to diffuse thin on top
  • I used Toppik but it got worse and worse
NOW GO TO MARCH 2018 (yes, only 7 months ago)...
  • I was still using Toppik but it was becoming obvious
  • My hair was so thin that I had to shave or get a transplant
  • I went online for 20 mins and found a study about dermarolling
  • I started dermarolling once a week and using minoxidil again.
MY REGIMEN:
  • I started with a 1.5mm dermaroller 1x a week - https://amzn.to/2q3qjsq
  • Now I use a 2.0mm dermapen 1x a week - https://amzn.to/2CO31zh
  • I apply minoxidil 2x daily but NOT on the day I use the dermapan - https://amzn.to/2CZgrZt
  • That is all - I do not take supplements and my diet is absolutely terrible.
  • I DO NOT TAKE finasteride. I get asked this a lot so please try to avoid asking.
HOW TO VIDEOS:

This is for the cheaper dermaroller:

And this is for the dermapen I use:

For those of you interested, this is the study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746236/
As you can see, my results are not dissimilar.

LINKS:

Yes I have added affiliate links but I only get 5% or something. I do prefer the dermapen but I do think you'll get the same results with the cheap roller. I'm 32 and have an OK-ish job, so spending £45 on a pen or whatever wasn't a big deal for me - especially when I was considering a transplant - but it would have been 5 or 6 years ago, so I would like to emphasise that I did have VERY good results with the cheap roller. They do the same thing and more expensive doesn't mean better.
Thanks for the thread. How did you feel right before you started derma-rolling ? Was That your lowest point? How does it feel now to have gained your hair back? Do you have to pinch yourself?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
How fast did you go from having a seemingly full head of hair to your lowest point? Disregarding recession, just when you were starting to have visible diffusing

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great progress man!

You should use Toppik closer to your natural hair color, not as dark as you use in some of those pictures. If the choice is between lighter or darker than your hair color, use lighter. Toppik are generally darker than advertised too. I use Toppik medium brown, it's very very dark and is almost darker than my dark brown hair.

keepit

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great progress man!

You should use Toppik closer to your natural hair color, not as dark as you use in some of those pictures. If the choice is between lighter or darker than your hair color, use lighter. Toppik are generally darker than advertised too. I use Toppik medium brown, it's very very dark and is almost darker than my dark brown hair.
Hair growth(wet) is pretty impressive in his dermarolling videos it can't be topic .I just ordered the dermapen i would say it's the main reason behind the regrowth

Trying2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow these results are amazing! Good work mate! Do you get any sides from the minoxidil?

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Concealers like dermmatch aren't removed just by a simple wash. Wetting your hair would still leave dermmatch in there. Not that I'm saying OP is necessarily using a concealer. End of the day, there are studies to back up the use of dermarolling, and you will benefit buying a dermaroller or a dermapen like in the OP's link, or whatever other wounding device that's suitable.