i found this on yahoo-news

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
Tiny Hair Creatures! - Demodex Folliculorum

There are creatures, mites to be exact, called demodex folliculorum that may be living in your pores and hair follicles! If your scalp has an excessive amount of sebum (oil) and you have thinning hair, you are likely to have colonies of these pesky things. The demodex folliculorum feeds on sebum produced by the sebaceous gland (also called oil gland). Sebum consists chiefly of fat, keratin, and cellular material. The sebaceous glands are in the dermis of the skin and open into a hair follicle, secreting sebum.
See a diagram of the hair here.

Demodex follicullorum are worm-like mites with short legs, tiny claws and are layered with scales. They live head-down in the follicle. Before you grab the mirror to look for them, they are less than 0.4 mm long, so tiny that several can get into the hair follicle along with the hair. They can even live in your eyelashes.

Large colonies of them have been known to cause abnormal hair loss. When there are too many Demodex buried in the follicle of a hair they can consume so much of the sebum, robbing the hair of essential nourishment, that the hair will fall out. These mites are harmless and do not transmit disease, but when there is a large number of Demodex on the scalp, they can cause itching and skin disorders called Demodicosis. Demodex are not found in everyone’s hair. They are not found in the majority of men and women who do not have hair loss but they are found in 88 percent of those with thinning hair.

marsbtchsx

Established Member
Reaction score
u figure that theyd put some solution or way to get rid of them at the end of the article or something...

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
damn! how do I know if I have Demodex Folliculorum??? :crazy:

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 1%26sa%3DG

Not for the squeamish... Dont itch your scalp, it makes them mad. And sleep with your mouth closed. Sleep well : )

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would hope using Nizoral (anti-fungal) Minoxidil (with alcohol) Salicylic acid, azelaic acid and the occasional shot of Retinoic acid nothing could live 'upstairs'.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Well, before you pussies go down to the chem plant to soak in acid to get these poor buggers off you, perhaps you should consider the fact that we need them on us.

Think about it, they EAT sebum. That should be GOOD for fighting male pattern baldness? And, I hate to tell you all but our bodies are COVERED with parasites that live on our skin, in our GI tract, etc, and no matter what we do they will always be there. They are part of a system. The bugs on our skin that eat our dead skin flakes might actually be helping our skin? These host-parasite relations have evolved over time to, most of the time, be mutually beneficial arrangements, from a biological point of view.

It is in the parasite's interest to keep the host alive...

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks to The Gardener for common sense advice about Demodex.
Everything in balance. Did you know that bread and flour products contain insects, mouse droppings and other pollutants?
We survive. Insect chitin is a natural part of our diet. We could live on worms, but we don't have to.
Loosing hair can make the young man paranoid about any possible cause, especially the unknown. My scalp started to itch when I viewed the images of Demodex. I have decided to work with all the little critters who live on my beautiful body.
Encouraging the good flora in the digestive tract with a balanced diet is an essential way to achieve inner health. I know that you can have good hair even if you live on junk food, but it will probably be greasy hair.
If any of you want to know, try food combining, basically don't eat starch with protein, and cut down on bread, tea and coffee, I lost 3 stone in weight by this method, while my hair has been growing back. Good food for health encourages the beneficial creatures in us and within us, and discourage the yeast and other infections etc..
Each of us is a fascinating colony.
Boru

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
here here!

right now I have a rat up my arse, and it's done me no harm.

god bless de animals

Petchsky

Reaction score
jfrank said:
they did....

Nioxin Bionutrient

what do you guys think?

Erm...That they are trying to scare you into buying Nioxin and that you probably already have a bottle?