I Find People Keep Repeating In This Forum Between Now And Ten Years Ago

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But there is a catch in the Rossi study, most men who lose hair will quit in a years long span so of course 80%+ after a long term will benefit or maintain. There is no mention to of whether that was accounted for in some way.

I always feel really good about finasteride and my chances until I start wondering about these things.

The anecdotes here and on other forums seem to indicate a 50/50 efficacy rate, of course that doesn't match up with the science, but going back to the five year study I mentioned earlier where about half receiving Propecia dropped out, you account for the dropouts and suddenly the discrepancy makes sense.

And I'll admit I'm a pessimist too.

This is outrageous.

HLV

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bear in mind Hairicane, millions of men take finasteride. They don’t go on Forums. The forums while seeming to reflect all men’s experiences reflect only a tiny amount of men’s experiences taking finasteride 1MG and usually, they are not objective and usually negative because people don’t usually come on forums with good news.

It is outrageous that the forums have presented a 50% success rate. No wonder even more people just starting out are so worried. This is unacceptable.

HLV

INT

Reaction score
The forums are a great place for information but they do not agree with the real world, where people take Finasteride 1MG and keep most of what they have.

HLV

Again, this is not the case for everyone. Long term successful finasteride users tend to generalize their own positive experiences as reality for everyone, which is understandable, but also often not accurate.

Last edited:

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Again, this is not the case for everyone. Long term successful finasteride users tend to generalize their own positive experiences as reality for everyone, which is understandable, but also often not accurate.

I would like to clarify that I do not currently use Finasteride 1 MG. As stated previously, I try to be as objective as possible, and draw attention to the long term studies which do in fact confirm success in the majority of the people who take finasteride 1MG.

The numerous objective studies on finasteride 1MG in general show success in the majority of people taking it. I have also stated that a minority will not experience the same success but I have yet to see documented evidence of this in 13 years. It is simply not possible for me to be any more objective about it.

HLV

Last edited:

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think while a lot of people think the treatments that are able now are useless, which they are most definitely not, it might perhaps be better for people now to appreciate that they live in the age where you actually have treatments for hairloss. While there is more improvement needed in treating hairloss, had you been losing hair about 30 years ago you would have actually had nothing. No finasteride, no minoxidil, no dutasteride, no experimental treatments like RU, SMP , very unacceptable transplant results, no support forums, nothing. You either wore a wig or that is it. While people are talking about how desperate they are these days that there is nothing, maybe it’s not a bad idea to take a step back appreciate that there are treatments now, and take a moment to think about those who actually had nothing not too long ago.

HLV

Losing your hair in the 70s and 80s was an inconvenience. Losing your hair in 2019, the age of social media, as a young man can be critical akin to a life threatening disease. I think this is the reason why a lot of men on these forums act so desperate. You see the same things on forums for short guys, etc. The technology has improved yes, but its just has not kept up.

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss causes diseases of the mental health variety. That’s enough of a disease to have. Hair loss also ruins dating for young people, so it ruins social life and leads to depression, avoidance of social life. The younger you are, the worse it is.

otis mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would like to clarify that I do not currently use Finasteride 1 MG. As stated previously, I try to be as objective as possible, and draw attention to the long term studies which do in fact confirm success in the majority of the people who take finasteride 1MG.

The numerous objective studies on finasteride 1MG in general show success in the majority of people taking it. I have also stated that a minority will not experience the same success but I have yet to see documented evidence of this in 13 years. It is simply not possible for me to be any more objective about it.

HLV

You seem very knowledgeable so what is your opinion on minoxidil? I’m currently a Norwood 2.5 (with thinning in a Norwood 3-) 3.5 pattern) I’m 32 and have been taking 1mg finasteride for about 8 months. Can’t decide whether I should jump on minoxidil or not

lbrobinho

My Regimen
Reaction score
You seem very knowledgeable so what is your opinion on minoxidil? I’m currently a Norwood 2.5 (with thinning in a Norwood 3-) 3.5 pattern) I’m 32 and have been taking 1mg finasteride for about 8 months. Can’t decide whether I should jump on minoxidil or not

I know there is a check for minoxidil effective, which will check if you have enzymes for minoxidil, but if finasteride works very well for you, I don't think you need to, because I know minoxidil might lose work after several years based on some people's experience. Finasteride is already most powerful weapon for hair loss.

otis mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know there is a check for minoxidil effective, which will check if you have enzymes for minoxidil, but if finasteride works very well for you, I don't think you need to, because I know minoxidil might lose work after several years based on some people's experience. Finasteride is already most powerful weapon for hair loss.

Seriously? I’ve never heard of a test before. It’s hard to tell if finasteride is working tbh I guess I haven’t had any significant hair loss but at the same time things don’t look improved

lbrobinho

My Regimen
Reaction score
Seriously? I’ve never heard of a test before. It’s hard to tell if finasteride is working tbh I guess I haven’t had any significant hair loss but at the same time things don’t look improved

Sorry, my bad, I just google it, this test is very complicated and hard, they need to get your The scalp tissue by trepan,and will take long time to receive it. So that might be reason no many people hear it.

And why minoxidil does not work for someone is because their scalp lack of sulfratrasferas, which transfer minoxidil to Minoxidil sulfate, so I think easy way to test it is to use it for 3 month and see what happens.

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

There is indeed a test you can do for minoxidil sulphate to determine if you will likely respond to the treatment.

Minoxidil apart from Finasteride is currently the only FDA approved treatment that stimulates growth and it works in individuals to varying degrees.

There have been individuals reporting great results with minoxidil, and others who have had very little effect. In my personal case I used minoxidil by itself and went from having very little hair on top to a full head of hair within four months.

The issue with minoxidil however,
Is that it does not tackle the root cause of hairloss which is DHT. Therefore if used by itself the initial growth from minoxidil will tend to decline within months or years.

Personally when I used minoxidil I regrew all my hair at month 4, and after year one or year two, my hair started to decline until year five when I was more or less back at baseline.

There was a study on minoxidil done by Olsen in the nineties which you are welcome to search for which showed that generally after five years participants were back at baseline. This is also what I experienced when i used it. However, there will be individuals with less aggressive hairloss who can maintain on minoxidil indefinitely.

I would recommend staying on finasteride for the full year and hold back on minoxidil as when you start Minoxidil you are likely to start shedding hair and your hair will at first appear thinner before growing back later on. This may cause you further distress so you need to be aware of this.

it is also time consuming to apply minoxidil twice a day.

As long as you are taking Finasteride 1MG, there is no rush to add minoxidil as you are dealing with the main cause of hairloss. Wait until the full year and if you are not happy with the results from Finasteride 1MG then add minoxidil to stimulate hair regrowth.

At 32 with Norwood 2.5 -3.5 My personal opinion is that at the two year mark on finasteride 1MG and minoxidil 5% combined you will have good results.

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

HLV

Last edited:

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Losing your hair in the 70s and 80s was an inconvenience. Losing your hair in 2019, the age of social media, as a young man can be critical akin to a life threatening disease. I think this is the reason why a lot of men on these forums act so desperate. You see the same things on forums for short guys, etc. The technology has improved yes, but its just has not kept up.

I appreciate your opinion and mean no offence in my reply to you, but I personally cannot agree with some of your statements. Losing hair at any period in time is traumatic. Even worse is when there was absolutely zero treatment like there was back then. It doesn’t seem right to me to downplay hairloss just because of the decade.

When I started losing hair I thought it was the most traumatic thing that could occur. And while it is traumatic and should not be overlooked without a doubt, having experienced a serious health scare the former just did not compare. Of course, that is only my opinion and people are welcome to disagree.

However the threat of a serious life threatening disease caused me fear to a level beyond looking great on pictures on social media. Of
Course, people react differently and that is understandable, but most people I know who have gone through cancer say it is absolutely on a whole other level.

I do not judge anyone’s opinion unless I have personally gone through what they are going through. Imagining what it is like to be in someone’s position and actually being in that position are two completely different things.

HLV

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

In the 70s and 80s you had no options other than watch your hair vanish. Today you might have a shot with finasteride, a better shot with dutasteride but sadly that's tough to get.

lbrobinho

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is indeed a test you can do for minoxidil sulphate to determine if you will likely respond to the treatment.

Minoxidil apart from Finasteride is currently the only FDA approved treatment that stimulates growth and it works in individuals to varying degrees.

There have been individuals reporting great results with minoxidil, and others who have had very little effect. In my personal case I used minoxidil by itself and went from having very little hair on top to a full head of hair within four months.

The issue with minoxidil however,
Is that it does not tackle the root cause of hairloss which is DHT. Therefore if used by itself the initial growth from minoxidil will tend to decline within months or years.

Personally when I used minoxidil I regrew all my hair at month 4, and after year one or year two, my hair started to decline until year five when I was more or less back at baseline.

There was a study on minoxidil done by Olsen in the nineties which you are welcome to search for which showed that generally after five years participants were back at baseline. This is also what I experienced when i used it. However, there will be individuals with less aggressive hairloss who can maintain on minoxidil indefinitely.

I would recommend staying on finasteride for the full year and hold back on minoxidil as when you start Minoxidil you are likely to start shedding hair and your hair will at first appear thinner before growing back later on. This may cause you further distress so you need to be aware of this.

it is also time consuming to apply minoxidil twice a day.

As long as you are taking Finasteride 1MG, there is no rush to add minoxidil as you are dealing with the main cause of hairloss. Wait until the full year and if you are not happy with the results from Finasteride 1MG then add minoxidil to stimulate hair regrowth.

At 32 with Norwood 2.5 -3.5 My personal opinion is that at the two year mark on finasteride 1MG and minoxidil 5% combined you will have good results.

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

HLV
I google that test is very painful and tough, is it?

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss causes diseases of the mental health variety. That’s enough of a disease to have. Hair loss also ruins dating for young people, so it ruins social life and leads to depression, avoidance of social life. The younger you are, the worse it is.

It’s difficult not to agree with this.