I Don't Have Signs Of High Dht Still Losing Hair?

Alex95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all just wanted to discuss something I think is weird in my situation. I don't really have signs of having high DHT levels, almost zero body hair, beard is not that thick either still I'm losing hair. What seems to be the connection?

ljb118

Reaction score
Hey all just wanted to discuss something I think is weird in my situation. I don't really have signs of having high DHT levels, almost zero body hair, beard is not that thick either still I'm losing hair. What seems to be the connection?

Hairloss is more complicated than that - though people with higher DHT would be more susceptible to it on average.

Interestingly enough, I'm the exact same way, but probably even MORE extreme than you. I have zero body hair, aside from a little bit on my forearms and lower legs (which everyone has...). I can't grow a beard whatsoever. I also have a bunch of other low-T symptoms which would imply low DHT. I got my hormones taken the other day (Testosterone, FSH, LH and Prolactin) and my testosterone actually came back high! Outside of the normal range (31.3nmol/L - range is 9.9-27.8). I'm just waiting for my results for a much more comprehensive hormone test, one of which is DHT. I say this because it is worth getting your hormones tested. My case is peculiar but yours may well be similar!

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey man, i think its rather about how sensitive u are to dht rather than how much dht you have

INT

Reaction score
Research has shown NO relationship between levels of DHT and likelihood of going bald.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Research has shown NO relationship between levels of DHT and likelihood of going bald.
That can't be right, when people use finasteride it lowers DHT and stops/reverses hair loss in some people.. That would imply if the person taking finasteride has the same DHT left over from finasteride naturally they would have more hair. Its the same when bodybuilders use roids, they have more testosterone and DHT which increases the likelihood of going bald. There is a definite relationship between DHT levels and the likelihood of going bald.

abcdefg

Reaction score

It seems a bit odd, but we know sensivity or maybe inflammation related to androgens is what causes male pattern baldness. Its never been about androgen levels. Every man on earth has androgens probably a good amount of them.
It still seems like the higher your androgen levels the more likely you would be to go bald though.

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing with high levels of DHT = Hairloss and vice versa is bullshit. It is more complicated than that. Havent you seen these middle easteners or italians age 40+ with lots and lots of body hair, even on their back, and they are still the perfect nw1?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
BLOOD levels of DHT have very little correlation to hair loss--unless it is very excessive (like high amounts of Testosterone replacement converting to DHT or anabolics that are DHT based for example). In fact, most men that lose their hair or even get prostate issues rarely suffer from high T or DHT but it is opposite (teen boys have great hair and usually high testosterone---50yr old men usually thin and have prostate issues and have lower T).

It is fully a dysfunction in the follicle itself. For some reason there is androgen dysfunction in balding scalps/follicles. Finasteride works because it inhibits the enzyme that converts testosterone INSIDE the follicle to DHT which is the acting androgen in this tissue/follicle. Testosterone itself really does not act inside the follicle which is why it is converted to DHT. Higher conversion to DHT--higher androgen activation and more oxidative stress due to higher enzyme activity leading to immune reactions.

Finasteride inhibiting DHT in other regions, like the prostate, which further decreases blood DHT really does nothing for hair loss and contributes to side effects.