I Am Thinning All Over, And Recently Got A Hair System. Should I Bother Keeping It?

Frank42

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I have a weird and rare(?) type of hairloss which caused my hair to become very thin pretty much all over, except for a small patch at the back.

Due to this, I wasn't sure if a hair system would work for me, since it would still leave me with thin sides and back. But I was desperate, and decided to give it a try anyway. (The guy at the salon said it would still work. Was I lied to and scammed?)

I've been wearing it for a few weeks now and still haven't showed it to anyone I know.

I think it looks pretty bad and unnatural, unless I use toppik on the sides and back which makes it look... less bad. Idk guys, what do you think? Brutally honest answers only please. Was I scammed? If I have to throw away like $500+ away or whatever and just shave my head and continue wearing hats all the time, then so be it. :(

Here are the pics. I took 2 sets, one before and after applying Toppik. Please forgive the terrible photos, I suck with phone cameras. Also forgive the bad hair styling and toppik dust :p It was a bit of a rushed job haha

INDOORS
IMG_20191105_142648441.jpg

IMG_20191105_142812967.jpg

IMG_20191105_142344193.jpg

OUTDOORS
IMG_20191105_142955908.jpg

IMG_20191105_143007129.jpg

INDOORS (WITH TOPPIK)
IMG_20191105_145016095.jpg

IMG_20191105_145125654.jpg

IMG_20191105_145222652.jpg

OUTDOORS(WITH TOPPIK)
IMG_20191105_145424640.jpg

IMG_20191105_145448130.jpg

IMG_20191105_145552936.jpg

So yeah, pretty bad hey? Should I just give up and embrace hat wearing 24/7? Or should I keep it and just apply toppik anytime I need to go out? But then who knows how much that will cost? Toppik aint exactly cheap. Not to mention all the time it would take to apply it.

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
You already know. I'm sorry to say, but it doesn't work at all.

Have you tried using JAK inhibitors? It looks like you have DUPA. I'm not sure if they work on that or not, they work great for alopecia areata.

smoothieoperator

My Regimen
Reaction score
Before you give up, I'd try buzzing the sides and go for a french crop. Based on my understanding, that look is pretty forgiving for people with thin sides. Your system hair is a little long, but what you could do is request your salon to cut your system and biohair; they're the ones who said a system could work for you, and they should prove it if they want a repeat customer.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
In order to rescue the current situation, I would go back to your stylist and have them buzz the back and sides, and then cut the entire system a bit shorter to give you an undercut. Although I wonder if it is possible to find another stylist, the cut that was done is not a very good one, I am afraid.

In retrospect, with your type of hair loss, I would have gone with a full-cap, a system that covers your entire scalp, using none of your bio hair, which will be shaved.

Personally, this is NOT what I would do for one of my clients. Sorry that you have to deal with this, hoping you find a way through it.

Noah

Reaction score
I agree, a full cap would work better, or a very trendy extreme undercut style with completely buzzed sides.

8F485B69-FBCD-458F-92E5-1C53BF4AD0DD-187-00000027CBE89499.jpg

If your hairloss is stable (i.e. you are confident it is not going to get any worse) this is one of the circumstances when tattooing might also work, to fill in the colour gaps in your sidehair, which would enable you to continue using a topper.

Aside from the problem of your thin sides, the hairpiece is not a fantastic job either. There is a texture and slight colour mismatch, and the cut looks very uninspired. It's fair to say the stylist had quite a difficult problem to work around, but I think a more experienced person could have achieved a better outcome for you. Don't give up though - you can definitely get a good hair replacement solution.

Frank42

My Regimen
Reaction score
You already know. I'm sorry to say, but it doesn't work at all.

Have you tried using JAK inhibitors? It looks like you have DUPA. I'm not sure if they work on that or not, they work great for alopecia areata.
Never heard of JAK inhibitors. Looks like there isn't much information on it. Is it safe? I'm very anti-medication.

Wow I just looked up DUPA and that looks like exactly what I have. Glad to finally have a name for it. Previously the closest conditions I could find were Retrograde Alopecia and Telogen Effluvium, but this looks much closer to what I have.

Frank42

My Regimen
Reaction score
Before you give up, I'd try buzzing the sides and go for a french crop. Based on my understanding, that look is pretty forgiving for people with thin sides. Your system hair is a little long, but what you could do is request your salon to cut your system and biohair; they're the ones who said a system could work for you, and they should prove it if they want a repeat customer.
Yeah maybe I'll try buzz the sides and see how it looks. I don't know if it will look good though. I'd imagine when it's that short, the lack of pigmentation would be too noticeable.

I don't think I'll be returning to that salon. I was not pleased with the service at all. They did not seem very knowledgeable in what they were doing, or very helpful when I was asking questions or wanting advice. If I try the french crop look, I'll probably just buzz and cut it myself.

Frank42

My Regimen
Reaction score
In order to rescue the current situation, I would go back to your stylist and have them buzz the back and sides, and then cut the entire system a bit shorter to give you an undercut. Although I wonder if it is possible to find another stylist, the cut that was done is not a very good one, I am afraid.
Yeah, I don't think I'll go back. The cut they gave me never looked quite right. I think they took too much off maybe. I may try go for the buzzed sides and back look but I'll probably just do it myself. I really don't want to give more money to those crooks.

In retrospect, with your type of hair loss, I would have gone with a full-cap, a system that covers your entire scalp, using none of your bio hair, which will be shaved.
Yeah, a full-cap would be good but I have no idea where to get one. They don't seem very common. If HairByMHE sold them I would get one.

Personally, this is NOT what I would do for one of my clients. Sorry that you have to deal with this, hoping you find a way through it.
Yeah after coming home and looked in the mirror I really felt taken advantage of. They shouldn't have agreed to do this if they knew it wouldn't work. They probably just wanted my money :( $500+ down the drain

Frank42

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree, a full cap would work better, or a very trendy extreme undercut style with completely buzzed sides.

View attachment 131707

If your hairloss is stable (i.e. you are confident it is not going to get any worse) this is one of the circumstances when tattooing might also work, to fill in the colour gaps in your sidehair, which would enable you to continue using a topper.
Yeah the pigmentation tattooing is something I've though about. No idea if my hair loss has stabilized, but it's definitely slowed down I think. Think I'll just wait a while still to see if it gets even worse.

Aside from the problem of your thin sides, the hairpiece is not a fantastic job either. There is a texture and slight colour mismatch, and the cut looks very uninspired. It's fair to say the stylist had quite a difficult problem to work around, but I think a more experienced person could have achieved a better outcome for you. Don't give up though - you can definitely get a good hair replacement solution.
Hmm yeah I guess there's a very subtle color difference, but I think it's pretty dang close. The texture is definitely different though, you're right. The wig hair is much smoother, whereas my natural hair is more dry I guess.

I've probably given up on a crown hair system, unless by some miracle my sides and back improve, or can be fixed with microneedling which I've yet to try but am considering. But other than that, if I try again for a hair system it will have to be a full cap one I guess. Just need to find out where to get one.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am very sorry that you are going through this. This is a BAD introduction to wearing hair.

I believe your current situation IS salvageable.

You can take the unit off, and buzz the back and sides down to a #1 on the clippers (3mm). I would re-attach if you can do it yourself, and go to a good barber and have them cut the system down to a french crop, making sure NOT to try and fade the sides, leave it as an undercut. The color won't matter since your bio hair will be buzzed down tight. It doesn't even need to be faded. I did this for more than a year when I had really long hair, it's fine.

Once that is done... wear it, get used to it... and then when you feel more comfortable, review your options. And obviously, reach out to us, we are here for you.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
TBH if you can live without a hair system, then that is always the best option. Why put up with the stress and the hassle if you can live without it?

I have thinning sides and I use either Dermmatch or Mane to make them look thicker. Topik/fibres are very good for sides/back.

Frank42

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am very sorry that you are going through this. This is a BAD introduction to wearing hair.

I believe your current situation IS salvageable.

You can take the unit off, and buzz the back and sides down to a #1 on the clippers (3mm). I would re-attach if you can do it yourself, and go to a good barber and have them cut the system down to a french crop, making sure NOT to try and fade the sides, leave it as an undercut. The color won't matter since your bio hair will be buzzed down tight. It doesn't even need to be faded. I did this for more than a year when I had really long hair, it's fine.

Once that is done... wear it, get used to it... and then when you feel more comfortable, review your options. And obviously, reach out to us, we are here for you.
Thanks. I will try the french crop look, but I have my doubts it will work with my hair, due to the lack of short hairs that might give it away.

What if I just keep growing out my bio hair and then apply toppik. Do you think that would be passable?

Frank42

My Regimen
Reaction score
TBH if you can live without a hair system, then that is always the best option. Why put up with the stress and the hassle if you can live without it?

I have thinning sides and I use either Dermmatch or Mane to make them look thicker. Topik/fibres are very good for sides/back.
Well I can live without one. By wearing a hat/beanie/hoodie etc wherever I go. I like hats, but is that really a good way to live? Not to mention the constant anxiety of wondering what coworkers etc think I am hiding, or the chance that wind might blow my hat of or something.

But hey, maybe that's better than this. This system might be giving me more anxiety and depression than I had before. So maybe I should just go back to my bio hair + hats. At least until I regroup and decide on a better solution like a full cap, or I try microneedling.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hi Frank
my opinion only ( but honest, as requested)
good news, I believe your piece is salvageable as it was not cut too short.
reading your post- threads, i gather you are not ready to shave it all and be a proud bald guy. You would hide baldness by wearing hats, etc..So I think a hair system is a solution for you and your self esteem.
As suggested by others, If you have confidence in your barber, i would infor him that you are not satisfied and request other style as this does not work out.( difference in density too noticeable)
Also , I would drop the concealers, too messy and unnatural look.
I would shave sides and back, and have the piece restyled, and I would use a professional stylist instead of risking it on your own. Attached are examples of styles which could work and hide hairline ( so you dont have to fuss over that too much)
541718b406e35c7630bc5fe5b74daa19.jpg
mens-crop-top-haircut-new-french-crop-haircut-of-mens-crop-top-haircut.jpg

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you try to save your hair with minoxidil before it got that bad?

When I grew out my side hair for the first time in years after getting a system I've noticed DUPA-like hairloss on my sides (luckily not the back yet). I'm using minoxidil now and hope it will help. I'm only about a month in so it's too early to tell. Currently I use eyeliner every morning to fill in the gaps but I'm worried that if it keeps getting worse then even the eyeliner won't help.