I am thinking about a future transplant

G

Will probably be FUSS because a) FUE is friggin expensive and b) I want a high yield, and I hear that FUSS typically gives a higher yield.

Norwood 1.5diffuse, yada yada, you know my situation:

Pics:

Buzzed front and top:
http://img103.imageshack.us/my.php?image=buzz005oa0.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=buzz012kd9.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=buzz015nk9.jpg

Crown thinning:

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pics019nc8.jpg

Basically my hairline center is about 2.5 inches right now, and I'd like to lower it about a third of an inch in the center, and close in the temples by moving the left one(the better one) down and in about a quarter of an inch, and the right one(the worse one) down and in about four tenths of an inch. And maybe put 100 grafts to fill in that crown as well.

How many grafts are we looking at? Also would it be possible to fill in the diffused area on top as well without shock loss?

This transplant would probably not happen for at least a year, because I'm going to give Avodart 8 more months to give it the full year, then probably give Rogaine 6 months, but I'm planning for the future. Docj and other knowledgeable posters on Bryan here say that by taking Avodart every day I am likely to get no worse than NW3, so depleting the donor area is probably not a concern. Avodart will also keep my sides and back nice and thick, because although these hairs are less sensitive to DHT than the hairs on top and in the front, they are still a bit sensitive so it is important to keep them thick.

Any comments appreciated. Also, I will only go to a TOP Doctor, ie someone like H&W or Armani. There are others but those are the two that I am familiar with. I'm not going to go to some local Doctor who will ruin my hair.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I'm visiting some Armani patients this Spring or Summer. I'm definitely considering Armani's FUE, which Armani is claiming to extract 10-15k from an average donor (all FUE) with a 95% yield rate.

G

Aplunk1 said:
I'm visiting some Armani patients this Spring or Summer. I'm definitely considering Armani's FUE, which Armani is claiming to extract 10-15k from an average donor (all FUE) with a 95% yield rate.

Does the $12 per graft price bother you? have you considered armani strip? It just seems like you could get a lot more bang for your buck and since you're on Avodart and don't have super strong balding genetics if i remember, you don't have to worry about people seeing your scar. just my $.02.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Not so much the price... I'd give any amount of money for a nice result.

The reason I'd prefer FUE is because I enjoy the buzzed, possibly the shaved look. I like having short sides and stuff. It's really just a preference.

Plus, Armani's scaring is extremely limited in the donor area with FUE. His tricho procedure is pretty good, too.

I just don't need that many grafts to warrant a FUSS operation.

G

yeah as you know i have recently buzzed my hair and i think that with my facial features, i look much better with hair that is 1.5 inches+, so the scar will not be a concern for me. but i agree for people that like keeping their hair really short, fue is better. buzz cuts may be the style now and it may become the dominant haircut in the future, but i've never been one to follow trends.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely a preference thing. Armani's scars are nice, always, IMO.

I think you do look good with long hair on, so the FUSS might be something for you.

I'm excited to save up for this procedure. I'm getting lots of opinions. Dr. Feller personally invited me to his open-house, where he could give me an FUE estimate. I'm pretty close to his office, which is close to Queens. (He charges $10/graft, but I think his lack of scaring on the donor is the BEST)

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
hey wow thats cool both of are are into DR armani. BUt i just read on the hairsite forum according to one poaster dr armani screwed up his procedure? ?? I dont know if the person is a troll or not... :freaked2: :freaked:

s.a.f

Reaction score
Link?

haleystudios

Reaction score
dont worry cateye81, jayman and others....

his screen name is parable... and Dr. Armani warned him that....
he already had fue removed from the front of his head that affected about 10-15% of the area where Dr. Armani transplanted and already had scar tissue.... Armani told him he could transplant at 70 grafts cm/2 as request from parable, but Armani told him that his yield will proabably be alot lower because of the scar tissue.... but that he would have a good result if all goes well.... here is the case closed....
Armani made him sign in writing that he understand Armani's explanation..
Hell, there is a guy on another site recently who had a terrible result from Dr. Hasson and Wong and he complained and Dr. Hasson had to defend himself on the HLH site stating that he warned the patient because of his medical report and charts (which i dont know of) would effect his yield, and sure enough it did, and he complained.....

thats why i am going to get in writing from Armani that i will get a free procedure if i dont get the results promise....... . For instance, whoever you go to, make sure that when he or she diagnosis's your head and if he or she says.... NOPE, NOTHING SHOWS ME FROM YOUR REPORTS, HISTORY, AND YOUR HEAD THAT WOULD LEAD YOU TO A BAD RESULT, AND NO RECEIPENT SCARRING ... SO... YOU SHOULD HAVE A 95% OR GREATER RESULT..... then i would say... OK GREAT DOCTOR, NOW LETS PUT THIS IN WRITING THAT I WILL GET A FREE TOUCH UP OR PROCEDURE.......
ARMANI will give you what he promises... and if he doesnt... then he will fix it... but if he tells you that something might effect your yield because of your head or whatever... THEN DONT DO IT............
i think what parable was upset is that he took them a long time to get Armani to talk to him or something... i could be wrong...

i love you all

G

haley,

i'm very familiar with the parable saga by reading hlh. i only hope that you bringing it up will not result in a flame fest between others and derail my thread. thanks though for the explanation.

now back to my situation. any comments?

DaveOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Jayman,

You post a lot, and probably have read a lot on this and other forums, so if I'm covering old ground I apologize. I just want to make sure you've read the cases of DHTassassin and bigKaush over at hlh, as they had similar diffuse balding situations, and both had less than satisfactory results. As you know, diffuse thinning on the younger patient can be the most difficult to work with for various reasons. Anyway, try to hit them up on the other forum, they're usually around, and will give you the straight scoop. You're smart to give the meds some more time.

As far as FUE, I feel it's important to note that Armani has shown maybe 1 fully grown out fue result. That would concern me. And this quote:

"I'm visiting some Armani patients this Spring or Summer. I'm definitely considering Armani's FUE, which Armani is claiming to extract 10-15k from an average donor (all FUE) with a 95% yield rate."

This to me is an outrageous statement, considering that the most strip grafts to date have been in the 8k range or so (jotronic, bobman). 10-15k FUE? To get that amount you'd have to go way outside of the *safe* zone, and you'd be thinning out the donor tremendously. Docs who have been doing fue for 3-4 5 or more years are not claming this, so I wouldn't believe Armani, who has shown no evidence that this is possible.

You know the drill...the grown out FUE results are out there, so look for the docs who have consistently proven that they can achieve good results with this technique.

If you decide strip then it's a different story.

G

Dave thanks.

I'm pretty close to sure that I want strip, just because of the expense and that I will never want to wear my hair short. I dont like my buzz now so I've been growing it out and plan to grow it out to at least 3 inches.

I've seen BigKaush and DHT assassin's pics. They both looked worse off than I am, no offense to them, so is it really comparable? I would probably not want a lot of transplants in the diffuse areas, Dave, probably just a few in the crown and some to lower the hairline and bring the temples in, so shock loss may not be an issue here?

thanks.

DaveOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Jayman,

IF you plan on sticking w/ the Avodart, that will work in your favor as far as shockloss, but it is still a real possibility that you might still undergo some permanent shockloss. What is your age btw?

And if you are considering H&W or Armani, I would go with H&W, as I think they do good temple and crown work comparatively speaking. And I think their hairlines are softer. This is just opinion of course. Not talking about shape here, as that can be a personal aesthetic choice, but softness, which is the most critical aspect of an hair transplant. This cannot be conveyed in pics, so try to see a few patients in person of the docs you are considering and look close, and in different lighting. You will see what I mean. Good thing is the longer you wait, the more time you have to research and see different patients, etc.

G

DaveOne said:
Jayman,

IF you plan on sticking w/ the Avodart, that will work in your favor as far as shockloss, but it is still a real possibility that you might still undergo some permanent shockloss. What is your age btw?

And if you are considering H&W or Armani, I would go with H&W, as I think they do good temple and crown work comparatively speaking. And I think their hairlines are softer. This is just opinion of course. Not talking about shape here, as that can be a personal aesthetic choice, but softness, which is the most critical aspect of an hair transplant. This cannot be conveyed in pics, so try to see a few patients in person of the docs you are considering and look close, and in different lighting. You will see what I mean. Good thing is the longer you wait, the more time you have to research and see different patients, etc.

Dave, thanks for the response. I am 22. I must be misunderstanding shock loss then because I thought that if hair is placed on bald areas like my temples that I won't have shock loss? Do you agree with the other posters that donor density isn't really a huge concern since I'm staying on Avodart forever or until something better comes out? I am patterning my dad and grandpa who both stabilized at NW5, and of course they weren't on hair loss drogs and certainly not a powerful drug like Avodart.

Thanks.

DaveOne

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm referring to transplanting in diffuse areas. If Armani recommends 3k grafts as you mentioned in the other forum, where is he going to transplant them? I would imagine they would be transplanting into diffuse areas, which will be a risk. Basically you risk shockloss when you transplant around existing hairs. And as the Fittest wisely pointed out, you really risk a lot of those fine, wispy hairs that help make up the hairline and temples that you might not get back. And those very fine, natural hairs are very hard to mimic.

As far as family history, you still have a lot of years in front of you, so you take the risk there. Best to give the meds some time to stabilize things first before considering hair transplant. Most clinics will likely tell you this. I'm not talking about on line consults, but rather in-office consults. An online or email consult is different. A clinic will usually throw a number out at you just to give you an idea, but they can't really tell until they get you in the office and look at your density and other factors, so take the numbers the clinics throw at you with a grain of salt, as that will change once they see you in person and take a closer look.

just be patient and take the time to do your research. hair transplant should always be the last option. And thanks for the pics...IMO, you would not benefit very much at all from a transplant right now, and have more to lose at this stage. Down the road if you've stabilized things pretty well it might be a different story.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
cateyes81 said:
hey wow thats cool both of are are into DR armani. BUt i just read on the hairsite forum according to one poaster dr armani screwed up his procedure? ?? I dont know if the person is a troll or not... :freaked2: :freaked:

Probably a troll. Hairsite and HLH are NOTORIOUS for their anti Armani campaigns. I say do ur own research and meet with armani pts and meet Armani also. He stands behind his product and will make it right if the patient is not happy.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DaveOne said:
I'm referring to transplanting in diffuse areas. If Armani recommends 3k grafts as you mentioned in the other forum, where is he going to transplant them? I would imagine they would be transplanting into diffuse areas, which will be a risk. Basically you risk shockloss when you transplant around existing hairs. And as the Fittest wisely pointed out, you really risk a lot of those fine, wispy hairs that help make up the hairline and temples that you might not get back. And those very fine, natural hairs are very hard to mimic.

As far as family history, you still have a lot of years in front of you, so you take the risk there. Best to give the meds some time to stabilize things first before considering hair transplant. Most clinics will likely tell you this. I'm not talking about on line consults, but rather in-office consults. An online or email consult is different. A clinic will usually throw a number out at you just to give you an idea, but they can't really tell until they get you in the office and look at your density and other factors, so take the numbers the clinics throw at you with a grain of salt, as that will change once they see you in person and take a closer look.

just be patient and take the time to do your research. hair transplant should always be the last option. And thanks for the pics...IMO, you would not benefit very much at all from a transplant right now, and have more to lose at this stage. Down the road if you've stabilized things pretty well it might be a different story.

Great advice. I totally agree.

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
dave why wont you answer my question?? If you dont know the answer the least you could say is "I do not know" :roll: :roll: :roll: u suck

Wonko

Reaction score
Jayman,

Have you given minoxidil a shot? There's a good chance it could really help you out and stave off a hair transplant for quite awhile. It's a LOT cheaper too!

:D