I am not making progress with weights

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Milk is the greatest substance on earth. IIRC, it's one of the very few complete foods out there.

CCS

Reaction score
Harie said:
Milk is the greatest substance on earth. IIRC, it's one of the very few complete foods out there.

does it have vitamin C? I thought they fortify it with vitamin A for a reason. Good stuff, but I would not call it complete. No vitamin K either. I'm sure there is lots more it is missing.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
Harie said:

does it have vitamin C? I thought they fortify it with vitamin A for a reason. Good stuff, but I would not call it complete. No vitamin K either. I'm sure there is lots more it is missing.

Complete means it has carbs and protein in nearly the correct ratios.

G

Harie said:
Harie said:

You wouldn't believe how much milk I've drank all my life... like 1 liter per day. I think we have vitamin D added in milk here in Finland.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Harie said:

The ratio of calcium to phosphorus isn't nearly as great though. No vitamin C or iron either. "Complete" to me would mean naturally occurring whole elements with an ability to stave off and prevent every/any nutritional deficiency. Like you could drink and subsist on just milk alone, at any stage of your life, and live long in total health. While milk is pretty great, it's not a perfect food in that sense, especially after pasteurization.

Sean68

Reaction score
GrowHairGrow! said:
I have another question for you fitness fanatics... I have noticed that I get a lot more fat (and muscle for that is) on the left side of my body, and that includes face! Is there any way to balance things out or is it just in my genes or something?

absolutely mate. ive always noticed that its not in your head. i wonder why? i always end up doing a few more on my right side to compensate.

CCS

Reaction score
Harie said:
Harie said:

well then that would depend on what the fat percent is too. If not, I think oats are up there. They don't have much fat at all though.

CCS

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
Harie said:

The ratio of calcium to phosphorus isn't nearly as great though. No vitamin C or iron either. "Complete" to me would mean naturally occurring whole elements with an ability to stave off and prevent every/any nutritional deficiency. Like you could drink and subsist on just milk alone, at any stage of your life, and live long in total health. While milk is pretty great, it's not a perfect food in that sense, especially after pasteurization.

I don't think you should have to live a long, heathy life to call it whole. But you should be able to live a year on it without extreme deficiencies popping up.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
Harie said:

I don't think you should have to live a long, heathy life to call it whole. But you should be able to live a year on it without extreme deficiencies popping up.

If you're looking for a food that has the correct ratio or protein/carbs/fats and has most vitamins and minerals, it doesn't exist. Complete just means it mas protein, carbs and fat in nearly the correct ratios.

You could survive on whole milk for quite a while. Yes, pasteurization & homogenazation ruins a lot of the benefits of Milk, but Milk is still good for you and you could still live on it if you had to.

s.a.f

Reaction score
GrowHairGrow! said:
I have another question for you fitness fanatics... I have noticed that I get a lot more fat (and muscle for that is) on the left side of my body, and that includes face! Is there any way to balance things out or is it just in my genes or something?

It makes sense that if you are right handed and have spent your whole life picking up and carrying things predominatly in the right hand then maybe the right side of your body would get slighty stronger. Or vise versa if you are left handed.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
GrowHairGrow! said:

Try wanking with your right hand, instead of using your left.

G

Aplunk1 said:
GrowHairGrow! said:

Try wanking with your right hand, instead of using your left.

Damn you're funny, ever considered doing stand-up?

s.a.f said:
[quote="GrowHairGrow!":c05a0]I have another question for you fitness fanatics... I have noticed that I get a lot more fat (and muscle for that is) on the left side of my body, and that includes face! Is there any way to balance things out or is it just in my genes or something?

It makes sense that if you are right handed and have spent your whole life picking up and carrying things predominatly in the right hand then maybe the right side of your body would get slighty stronger. Or vise versa if you are left handed.[/quote:c05a0]

I am left-handed, yes... very much so.

CCS

Reaction score
Only do independent handed free weights. Those machines that combine your arm power let one of them help the other. And make sure you life the same weight with both. Maybe even back off on the bigger side for a while, but don't over train the smaller side.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Only do independent handed free weights. Those machines that combine your arm power let one of them help the other. And make sure you life the same weight with both. Maybe even back off on the bigger side for a while, but don't over train the smaller side.

I agree with you there, man. The free weights are much better to use, given the direction of the lift, muscles used, etc.. The machines, in my opinion, are pretty much junk. They give me little to no results.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm not making much progress either. But I know that since I'm not putting on any fat, I could be eating more. Maybe I'm not getting stronger because I'm not putting on muscle, which takes food.

If you are putting on fat and you are not getting stronger, then something else is wrong. Maybe your workout, maybe the kind of food you are eating, maybe even your sleep.

I'm also not drinking enough water. I even get head aches if I go a day without drinking much. I workout very hard in the gym though. I do my 18 sets in 40 minutes.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you're not progressing in strength and muscle mass, you're not eating enough, and aren't training correctly.

The only way to grow is to eat.
The only way to get stronger is to ask your muscles to do more work. If you bench 200lbs on Monday, the next Monday try to bench 205. You should be able to add strength very quickly as a beginner.

All those people you see in the gym that lift 200lbs last year and still lift 200lbs this year...Guess what, next year they'll lift 200lbs. Your muscles adapt to whatever stress you put them under. If you never ask more of them, how are they going to grow and get stronger?

G

It's easier to just artifically activate your testosterone if you are willing to pay $50 a month on hap insurance.

When I start working out, I'll get the doctor to up the dosage.

CCS

Reaction score
you still need to eat a lot of the right stuff at the right time. And your workouts stimulate HGH, not just testosterone. You also need to make your muscles sensitive to testosterone. Steroids help, but you still have to do stuff right or they won't do anything for you except help you keep what you have.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Rambo said:
Harie at what rate do you recommend for begginer/intermediates to add more poundage? every month?

Beginner = Every workout
Intermediate = Every week

As a beginner, you can add weight very quickly since your body adapts so well. Beginner gains, in both size and strength, rival steroid gains...And sometimes are better.

Intermediate, you've reached a level where your body can not recover quick enough to go heavier every consecutive workout. You need to start a bit of planning, but you can increase the weight every week.

Both examples assume your diet and sleep is right. With poor diet and poor sleep, you're screwed.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
Use Creatine, it help with building lean body mass, and havin protien with every meal during the day is key ..