I am not making progress with weights

G

I'm kinda skinny and really weak... I have started to lift some weights, however. I would like to know what is the best way to make progress. I have exercised regularly since the beginning of this year yet I'm not making any kind of progress. Could someone please post some kinda basic rules for gaining a bit of muscle (what to eat, when to eat, the off-days etc, how many repeats to do, how often to increase weights)? I would like to achieve the slim and fit look. If someone's kind enough, I'd need the same rules for jogging... mostly to burn fat.

Sorry for the bad english, my english vocabulary is really bad when it comes to exercising.

G

Rambo said:
why dont you just search this forum , there is heaps of stuff about training routines and diet.

'Cause I'm f*****g lazy :lol: . But yeah, you're probably right...

CCS

Reaction score
there is a balance between how much you eat, how much you workout, and how much you can recover from, and your goal is to stimulate testosterone and growth hormone production.

If you are not gaining a small amount of fat, then you are not eating enough, and maybe also not doing other stuff right.

If you don't feel a little sore, then you might not be working out enough.

Testosterone and growth hormone are bulk hormones made by single organs. To stimulate their production, you need to work more muscle groups at once, and do a combination of light and heavy lifts.

OK, that is all the info I'm bothering to write for now.

G

collegechemistrystudent said:
there is a balance between how much you eat, how much you workout, and how much you can recover from, and your goal is to stimulate testosterone and growth hormone production.

If you are not gaining a small amount of fat, then you are not eating enough, and maybe also not doing other stuff right.

Testosterone and growth hormone are bulk hormones made by single organs. To stimulate their production, you need to work more muscle groups at once, and do a combination of light and heavy lifts.

Dude, I'm KINDA skinny (well umm, I'm 171 cm (5.7") and weigh around 70 kg so I'm not THAT skinny (as you can see on the pic, I'm not an anorectic :lol:). Anyway, I do have fat especially on my stomach and that's the problem. I need to burn some fat.

CCS

Reaction score
burning fat is easy.

first work every muscle in your body at least once and preferably twice a week so your muscles will sensitive to the testosterone levels. That will reduce the amount of muscle lost during the fat burn.

Some people like to diet their fat off, but doing that means being hungry and weak a lot. I prefer to burn it off in the morning. Before eating breakfast in the morning, you glycogen levels are lowest, so you can actually burn fat. Get on an exercise bike and work out at a constant level that makes your heart rate 120-130 BPM. Jogging is OK to, if you know your heart rate. If your heart rate is under 120, you are not burning as much fat as you could. If it is over 130, then you will start burning a higher ratio of muscle to fat than if you were dieting.

As you cycle up to 1 hour, your testosterone levels will go up a little in the beginning and drop a lot more towards the end. People with more slow twitch muscles fibers produce more testosterone from longer endurance. Anyway, after an hour, your testosterone levels will be low enough that you will burn more muscle instead of fat, though always less than 50%.

Do that every morning, and you burn 1 pound a week. To burn more, you could diet. I suggest skipping dinner so you are weak in your sleep and not when you need energy during the day.

As for me, I take an anabolic steroid before my morning fat burn, so I can cycle for 2 hours instead of one, and I keep that 130-135BPM, and burn less muscle with all that than you would in your 45 minutes.

And if you sip a little protein water, or 20 calories of lean protein before the fat burn, you won't lower your fat burn much, but the extra protein will actually spair some of the protein on your muscle. I take BCAA's and glutamine.

You probably need to loose 10 pounds of fat, so you are looking at 2-3 months.

CCS

Reaction score
when you are done with the fat burn, eat a bowl of oats or something to start recharging your glycogen. 3-400 calories at least. Then 3 hours later, you can do your bulking using Hairy's advice.

You can cut and bulk in the same day, instead of first bulking 2 months and then cutting 2 months. Your skin will be less stretched, and you will be able to see if you can keep up with yourself.

astral week

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to save you a lot of trouble and misinformation and point you to http://forum.bodybuilding.com/. Every question you could ever possibly have towards weight lifting and diet and pretty much every aspect of fitness has been asked and answered here. You really need to educate yourself on doing it properly, or else you won't see gains and can hurt yourself.
This site is to fitness the way this forum is to hairloss. Best info out there, but be wary and read a lot of sources b/c like any other forum there are a lot of idiots who will give you bad information.

CCS

Reaction score
there are 50 different view points for everything on that site, and a lot of misinformation, just like on this site. I think this site is better for hairloss than that site is for body building. Definitely check it out though.

powersam

Reaction score
just eat lots and lift. get more muscle on you and the fat will take care of itself. there are no big secrets, eat and lift.

astral week

Established Member
Reaction score
there are 50 different view points for everything on that site, and a lot of misinformation, just like on this site. I think this site is better for hairloss than that site is for body building. Definitely check it out though.
considering how much you know about lifting (which if like me is next to nothing when i started, and half of my family was into bodybuilding), then it's a great site to get started. Just take the general information for a beginner. Building muscle and losing fat is the absolute same formula for every carbon-based life form that has muscle and fat. It's pretty simple, and if you follow some basic guidelines (that you have to LEARN) you'll be successful. This hairloss site is about 50% concerned with depression and self-confidence, and although I admit I pulled that statistic 100% out of my ***, if anything it underestimates the black hole of self-confidence drainage that this forum perpetuates. Just take the general themes/information of the bodybuilding site, and you can't mess up. There are very basic principles that you just have to learn before you can really cater to your specific goals and physical potential.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score

you are misinformed on a lot of things here CCS

CCS

Reaction score
mind elaborating on that with a few examples?

powersam

Reaction score
powersam said:
just eat lots and lift. get more muscle on you and the fat will take care of itself. there are no big secrets, eat and lift.

oh i forgot the other big secret, leave a rest day between workouts.

there you have it, all else is optional. you will gain muscle if you lift, eat and rest.

you can overthink it all you want, but thats what it comes down to. unless you are a professional athlete, the above is all you need to know.

CCS

Reaction score
it depends how hard you train them and what type of muscle fibers they are.

Reaction score
mind elaborating on that with a few examples?

Sure...

1. Have you ever heard of a thing called clean bulking? Obviously not.

2. This is one of the dumbest misconceptions people have. Soreness is not always a sign that you're muscles are getting bigger/stronger.

3. Oh is that how the IFBB pros, most of which work each body part once a week, got huge and diced?

And I have a comment and a question of my own. I'm probably correct in assuming that you have more knowledge in chemistry and general sciences than I do, but do you actually train the way you suggested to this guy?

To the original poster, rest is also a HUGE part of increasing muscle mass. You need to learn to push yourself 100% but also to know what it cannot handle.

Shoot me a PM with what your current diet, training, and resting regiment looks like. I'm not a certified PT but I do have 6 years of lifting experience and a decent amount of knowledge regarding dieting, training, and rest.

G

I have another question for you fitness fanatics... I have noticed that I get a lot more fat (and muscle for that is) on the left side of my body, and that includes face! Is there any way to balance things out or is it just in my genes or something?

Reaction score
Well I think you're being overly dramatic about that lol. Basically almost everyone is more dominant on one side, thus one side will overpower the other when doing lifts. Like for me my right pec and lat is slightly bigger than my left ones.

Or like you said, maybe it's genetic but I doubt that it's very noticable.

G

GonnaBeatHairLoss said:
Well I think you're being overly dramatic about that lol. Basically almost everyone is more dominant on one side, thus one side will overpower the other when doing lifts. Like for me my right pec and lat is slightly bigger than my left ones.

Or like you said, maybe it's genetic but I doubt that it's very noticable.

Thank god it isn't very noticiable on my face... much more so in the torso and stomach.

CCS

Reaction score
the fat distribution is genetic. You could affect it a little with topical assymetric hormone therapy, but it would be experimenta. You have more control over the muscle though.

MrSuccessful

Reaction score
MILK....its a slow digesting protein and if your not lactose intolerant get on it!

I down a few glasses at night to keep my body feed with protein until morning.