I am going for FUT

yid_1984

Reaction score
NW2-3. Est. 2000 grafts using FUT

Reserved a day with Dr.Pong in Chiang Mai. Opted for FUT as the results are generally better in terms of follicles surviving the transplant and the Doctor has a great rep.
Not too fussed about the donor scar as i have a medium-long hairstyle

Thoughts ?

yid_1984

Reaction score
How can you encourage members to become disfigured by a FUT?

The top surgeons all agree on this now: FUE and FUT have the same yield.

I can't post the link to prove it because links to that website are blocked here (BTT).

One of my sources: http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/fue-hair-transplant/pros-and-cons-fue/

and how bad is "disfigured" ? ... its a linear scar which can have some work done on it at a later date isn't it ? (atleast thats my plan)
from all the doctors i consulted..FUE seems x2 or 3 more expensive overall

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with Fred. If you're losing hair, you need to leave yourself the bail out option of shaving your head if/when things go south.

+1

I got FUE for this reason and honestly the idea of a perfect FUT that has a good scar and matches to existing hair character is difficult.

I had PRP and Acell. My Doctor uses precise depth control that enables minimal depth extraction. Minimal depth extraction leaves stem cells behind. Hair follicle stem cells activated by ACell result in donor follicle regeneration currently averaging approximately 50%. usually 10-70% regeneration. I'm not 100% sold on regeneration but the healing properties are real.

Another plus with FUE is you could pay for 1500 graphs but the doctor might be able to get more depending on schedule and how your doing with the surgery.

Best of luck and keep researching! I choice my Doctor because he does FUE, works with PRP and Acell, and does realistic hairlines. You might have your own issues your trying to deal with so you might be looking for a doctor that does things different.

JimmyJones

Banned
Reaction score
One of my sources: http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/fue-hair-transplant/pros-and-cons-fue/

and how bad is "disfigured" ? ... its a linear scar which can have some work done on it at a later date isn't it ? (atleast thats my plan)
from all the doctors i consulted..FUE seems x2 or 3 more expensive overall

Here is another link which shows the advantages and disadvantages of both techniques. This isDFeriduni is one of the best doctors in Belgium:

http://hairtransplantation.feriduni.com/en/hair-transplant/a-comparison-of-fue-and-fut.html

The best place to go for for advice etc is the hair transplant network forum. I find people on this hair loss site surprisingly misinformed about hair transplants. Both techniques are credible. I would say that if you want to maximize the amount of hair to be transplanted before moving on to body hair both techniques can be used synergistically. One could get FUTs and when that is no longer an option go done the FUE road. One piece of advice that I've found if you decide on FUE - make sure you go with a doctor who does manual FUE not motorized FUT. There are a lot of good FUT doctors who are crap at FUE and a lot of great FUE doctors that are crap at FUT. Choose the surgeon and technique wisely. Good luck.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Spencer Kobren said so and most hair transplant surgeons would advise so. You need to stabilise before doing hair transplant.

But you do. A scar on back of your head looks like you survived an attack with a machete, making you more alpha. It doesn't make you less masculine in any sense. Your face is still intact. Who cares about back of your head?

This is bull****. There is no such thing as donor regeneration.
Great trolling nob

Lollerme

Banned
Reaction score
******** recommends FUTs for higher yield and it doesnt disfigure you. If you think FUE doesn't leave a mark on your head you're wrong and in denial.

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
holy hell don't go with FUT especially for only 2k grafts

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a FUT scar? I know a guy, still bald with the hugest scar from ear to ear. It is so ugly AND he has no hair. Really, I would never consider doing anything than FUE. Even if FUE scarring was visible, nothing is worse than a FUT scar. Don't fool yourselves.

Lollerme

Banned
Reaction score
Stop speading this nonsense.

Here's my donor area after FUE: http://www.fredk.be/fue/6-months-donor-side.jpg

Where do you see "white dots"?

Done by top surgeon and with a small punch, there should never be any visible scarring.

Get your facts straight.

Uhmm I can see them dude, but it's harder to spot when you're inside :) You don't know what people see when they're behind you, imagine on a really sunny day standing in a line ;)

As hard as it is to admit it for you, a surgery will always leave scarring. A top surgeon doesnt magically make scars invinsible and I can see the "empty white" areas where the hair was taken from.
Do you not see them here?
perd.jpg
And about the huge FUT scars, theyre not visible unless they got butchered or wearing their hair really short.

Look at Wayne Rooneys donor area, looks pretty depleted to me and he's probably using dermatch at the back as well on top.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you ever seen a FUT scar? I know a guy, still bald with the hugest scar from ear to ear. It is so ugly AND he has no hair. Really, I would never consider doing anything than FUE. Even if FUE scarring was visible, nothing is worse than a FUT scar. Don't fool yourselves.
That's bad luck. A bad surgeon and he probably didn't use medication prevent a disaster :(

Reaction score
You are making a mistake.

And no the results of a FUT are not better than the results of a FUE.

The yield is the same for both procedures.

If he wears his hair medium-length, and his doctor is good, the scar won't be noticeable at all with his hair length. FUE is much more beneficial for people who wear their hair very short, or shaved - like you. Of course FUE is preferable and I would have liked to do it. It costs thousands of dollars more that I simply didn't have.

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I rather not bother with transplants if FUT was my only option, price is not really a factor there.

shookwun

Reaction score
FYI.

iv'e had a fut done and can cut my hair down to a number #2 clipper. not sure why people think #4 is the minimum.

Nw2-3 will take 2000-2500 grafts

FUE is good for small procedures.

Go with FUT if you're doing a big procedure.

shookwun

Reaction score
FUT in conjunction with FUE is necessary for those with aggressive male pattern baldness(NW5+). To be able to harvest enough grafts for coverage. (5000+)

FUT will always be around due to being more cost friendly, all though more invasive recover wise. It's a trade off.

I was quoted 9800 for 2000 graft FUT, 15800-1600 for FUE (don't remember exact digits but it's around this ball park figure)

shookwun

Reaction score
that's very cheap for 2000 grafts FUE.

Don't act like you would of paid 16,000 for 2000 grafts had you not had the same benefits, and your parents if I'm not mistaken pay for half?

3250 is pocket change:laugh:

Quickstrike

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day. A FUT for a NW5 like I was? I would still look like Frankenstein now more than 7 months after the procedure.

Are you saying that FUE transplants grow quicker?

I thought the only disadvantage to FUT was the scar in the back.