I am going for FUT

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
I think fut hair transplant is wastage of money because fut is surgical technique. Fue is better then fut surgery. because this type of surgery is no cut no scar and no blood.

Are you kidding? FUE means cuts and blood, as well. The cuts are "punctiform", but they are present, so is the blood. You have no idea about hair transplants.
FUE is also a surgical technique.

adamsmith

Reaction score
I've met with 3 top surgeons (bernstein/feller/hasson & wong) - out of those all 3 preferred FUT to FUE (H&W only does FUT). Bernstein was closest to neutral saying that FUE was better if your default hair style is short. The other two said the yield/results were just not as good and left limited options for further surgeries. For someone with a high degree of loss (and will never wear their hair long) I can see an argument for FUE because the FUT scar is very recognizable.

Ryath

Reaction score
FUT does disfigure you. I've seen people who had FUT in person, you can see the scar even with longer hair.

And what happens when you lose more hair? George Costanza hair style mandatory.

How would FUT leave more options for future treatments? Please clarify.

It doesn't get healthier grafts. My surgeon has a yield rate of 99% with FUE. It depends on the skills of the surgeon.

Acell has not been proven to work.

Good FUE surgeon > everything else.

You will be able to see the scar, even with hair.

Shaving your head and having a hair transplant are not mutually exclusive.

Yes of course it's cheaper, the FUT surgeon takes your money and in a few hours he's done disfiguring the back of your head.

How can one defend FUT in 2014? It's beyond me.

I coudnt agree more with with fred on this one, the scar is horrible my surgeons friend prefer to do FUE better long term results and the yield is the same

yid_1984

Reaction score
FUT! Done the deed. nearly 10th day post surgery now

3000 grafts for just over $5K done by Dr.Pong in Chiang Mai, he has reconstructed the hairline as close to an NW1-2 as he naturally could (was at NW3) - an overall great experience as well as brilliant destination to take a break at.

The only negative i would say is the pain threshold needed, it can get quite nasty during the first 2-3 days..now its completely gone apart from a minor tightness in the donor area.

I've responded well to finasteride and rogaine over the past 2 years and intend to carry on for the rest of my life, so no reason for me to worry about the scar at the back, hair would def be longer than an inch.

will post the pics of the scars soon as it heals so you can see how it looks like post surgery and after a few weeks.

cheddar66

Reaction score
Is the one and only reason people are against FUT is because of the scar?? Not that its a small side effect or anything.
Ive done consultations and past patients photos were shown to me with the FUT scar barely noticable when hair was not super short

cheddar66

Reaction score
Dont the pics mean anything?? Also the surgeon showed videos of patients hair as he ran his comb through the hair at the back of the head where the scar is. It was quite difficult to see. He also showed patients photos before and after.

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
FUT is only maybe a good idea if you are desperate for a large amount of grafts (3k+) in one session. I think large sessions where large amounts of grafts are transplanted at once is too risky of a session anyway. In my frame of thought, the only good reason to go FUT is if you exhausted all your FUE donor first. If you need so many grafts to where you need to start getting FUT, maybe it is just best to back off transplants forever or until cloning is an option. In the end, you will just be an insecure person with a giant scar in the back of your head.

Scotstudent89

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but have been in contact with a few hair transplant surgeons in the past 6 months and spent a lotttt of time researching and lurking around different forums.

From what i've been told, FUT might be advisable if you are a younger guy, reason being that you will most likely need a follow up procedure at some point in the future. If the donor area is linear, it means there is a clear area from which future grafts can be taken. Basically, if you opt for an FUE first time round, it rules out ever being able to go for FUT for higher yield in future transplants.

I'm interested to hear from other guys who have had FUT done...i'm considering it with Dr Saifi in Poland, however have heard he is fairly conservative with density, and density is very important to me.

Scotstudent89

Reaction score
^ This makes no sense, why would you opt for a big *** scar in 2015? Especially as a young man?

And if you choose a Polish surgeon, you deserve the butchering you will get.

1) Medical advances also apply to the FUT technique, if you go to the right surgeon, the scars are barely visible.
2) Your second point seems really ill informed...what experience do you possibly have of Polish surgeons? The surgeon I have been in contact with seems very accomplished, well qualified and I have yet to find a negative review or opinion of him or his work thus far. So tell me, what criterion do you judge him upon which makes you thing it's a bad idea? Would love to hear....

One thing I've noticed on hair loss forums is a plethora of guys who make gradiose claims and dismissals without actually knowing what they are talking about. It should be a place for discussion, support and suggestions, not "you deserve the butchering you will get".

resu

Reaction score
With Turkey doing quality FUE with very affordable prices why are you going to do FUT? Who wants such a large scar in their bodies?

JaySizzle

Established Member
Reaction score
Fred,

I get why you don't like FUT, but not all surgeons botch the scar like what happened to you. Yes it is 2015, and that also means because it's 2015, surgeons are able to do strip surgery without leaving a frankenstein scar... the good ones that is.. you get what you pay for. I personally, wouldn't get FUT because I want to leave the option for buzzing my hair down the road, but for people who like to leave their hair relatively long, no 3 or longer), I think would be the option to lean toward. Because I like my hair pretty short, I am going to get FUE. That is the only reason, otherwise I would get FUT. Also, you can always get FUE for touch ups down the road after an FUT.. and use FUE to touch up the scar as well...

yid_1984

Reaction score
5 months in..my scars can barely be felt when i run my fingers through it..my hairdresser cant notice any difference either.(Trichophytic Closure Technique)
I do maintain my hair long though

Its fairly painful during the first few days..other than that, happy with the procedure.

yid_1984

Reaction score
Coping and defense mechanisms are beautiful, aren't they?

You made a mistake, live with it. One day you will become as bald as George Costanza.

And the funny thing about having chosen FUT, is that the only suitable hairstyle for you will be George Costanaza's.

FUT in 2015... Some people will never learn.

I know you've had a rough run...but dude...an open mind can be good sometimes

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score
5 months in..my scars can barely be felt when i run my fingers through it..my hairdresser cant notice any difference either.(Trichophytic Closure Technique)
I do maintain my hair long though

Its fairly painful during the first few days..other than that, happy with the procedure.

Here is Dr. Cole's view on Trichophytic Closure. He knows what's up.

Skip to 3:11.

[video=youtube;zax29LO7Oiw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=208&v=zax29LO7Oiw[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

You should consider yourself lucky if you had a good strip surgery, but noone should consider these days. It's just plain obsolete.

yid_1984

Reaction score
Here is Dr. Cole's view on Trichophytic Closure. He knows what's up.

Skip to 3:11.

[video=youtube;zax29LO7Oiw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=208&v=zax29LO7Oiw[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

You should consider yourself lucky if you had a good strip surgery, but noone should consider these days. It's just plain obsolete.

There is a chance it could go wrong..agree that it is risky. Just saying that a good strip surgeon reduces the risks of it happening purely because of his skill (how your body reacts to it is an unknown anyway... FUE can go wrong as well)

Guys who are exploring hair transplant but are scared away by the costs(or the option of flying to Turkey of all places..) should not completely shy away from FUT

JaySizzle

Established Member
Reaction score
So I guess all Hasson and Wong patients will all look like George Kostanza... The hair transplanted via strip are not going to fall out if a year after the procedure, the hairs are shown to have been viable. So no, they won't look like George..

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will say I personally would never do FUT.
That being said I have also read elsewhere that yield rate is better. Im not sure if Fred is referring to yield total or survival, he may have just found different info as well. The internet is littered with differing facts and opinions.

Anyway, from my research the surgeon is able to actually SEE the entire follicle and graft under the layers of fat and skin and carefully carve out the full undamaged bulb. This in general leads to more surviving, and healthier grafts.
With FUE there is ALWAYS a chance that a graft can be transected. Take the hair of certain nationalities where they say there is a slight curl under the skin. Imagine the loss in FUE on that. That is where FUT might be more beneficial. Now there is the fact that hopefully the grafts wont be transected or even only slightly enough to still be usuable but with FUE if one comes out bad they toss it and pull another. For the sake of pure numbers then they can yeild the same amount if donor amount is no issue.

Either way I would not go FUT only because of the scar and I HEAL GOOD. I rarely scar for some reason but still that is not an odds game I "personally" would want to play. Also its always seemed to me FUT is like increasing forehead size lol. When they pull the pull together to suture that wound you have to almost be forced into a minor face lift.

If you decide to go FUT to save cost and insure 100% great yeilds then I wish you nothing but luck and hope it comes out great.

Scotstudent89

Reaction score
Good beer, chocolate and waffles, why the long face?

I know you've had a rough run...but dude...an open mind can be good sometimes

I laughed when I read his above comment. So this is a young guy who's life was **** because he was balding young, it made him miserable and he took action to correct it. Now, when others who have been in the same boat have taken action, he draws satisfaction from trying to troll them. Now, using the powers of deductive reasoning, my hypothesis is that Fred The Belgian is a generally miserable chap, now all the more unhappy as he cannot put his self disdain down to a lack of follicles. If/When I get a hair transplant done, I will post my results on a forum and offer advice for those who message me, but will not frequent forums again - I will draw a line under it and get on with life. Fred, try the same.

@Yid, glad your FUT turned out well - who did you go with and how many grafts etc?

Scotstudent89

Reaction score
Pathetic guy

Coping and defense mechanisms are beautiful, aren't they?

You made a mistake, live with it. One day you will become as bald as George Costanza.

And the funny thing about having chosen FUT, is that the only suitable hairstyle for you will be George Costanaza's.

FUT in 2015... Some people will never learn.

What a truly sad little man this guy is. Miserable with life while he could use hair as an excuse, after his transplant, still miserable with his pathetic existence so takes to forums to troll people and vote other people down for healthy discussion? Do you see your own hair transplant as a mistake? As in, you thought your life would get better, but it blatantly still sucks....Fred, do yourself a favour and just get a life. You can't get your parents to pay for a personality transplant sadly, but my advice to you is to open up to the world and see if you can regrow the rest of your body, because at the moment, you are just an a§§hole!