Hypotension From Oral Minoxidil (urgent)

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ohh so one anecdotal report from a dermatologist that was prescribing it for 16 years for hairloss without really knowing how the treatment went for his patients or what sides did they get or who the f*** they are means that it's major? A couple of hundred people are you serious lol? And a major increase in people asking about it on this site of 100 max active same users everyday? lol ok, you convinced me, it must be real safe lol

It's really amazing and stupefying how most of you defend 5ar inhibitors with long term studies done by groups of interests that say it's safe even if an equal or even higher amount of studies are done that say the contrary, but at least you defend it with studies, but in the same time when it comes to off label drugs like dutasteride, minoxidil, ru, cb, estrogen, bica and many others shits, you don't even have long term studies about their efficacy for hair loss or safety profile but still defend them with your life based on anecdotal reports. So any way you take it, with studies or not, if it grows hair or at least promises in theory, you baboons are so desperate that would bypass all the negative long term studies on them and still take them and promote them. I will never get this mentality but what do i expect, i am on the hair loss forum where everything is possible.

No one cares

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it’s up to other people to make their own decision. We can put information out there, but we’re not shoving the minoxidil down their throats.

You are repeating bullshit. If I wanted a broken record, I’d buy one instead of having you go on and on about it being an old drug which was first used orally. My dermatologists are respected dermatologists, and they believe in the effectiveness of oral minoxidil. Maybe it has something to do with all oral medications working better than topicals.

A lot of people don’t like applying topicals, and they find it time consuming, including myself. It’s much easier to take something orally rather than apply it topically, especially if your hair is longer. Topical minoxidil also has skin-irritating agents such as alcohol, which will sensitise your scalp over time, along with potentially irritating the follicles. And then after that, they apply a retinoids to their scalp? I can sense the irritation, and I don’t even use the combination.

The only one repeating none sense here is you. First you tell that your
Irritation from the alcohols is the reason why many have a negative reaction to the topical. And then applying a retinoid to your scalp can lead to further irritation. It might be safer than taking oral minoxidil, but it doesn’t change that it will have negative effects on your scalp and it’s an inconvenience to apply.

You have no idea, no idea at all of what are you talking.

gonetoday

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thought the hypotension went away since I felt fine for half a day, but it’s still here. Been off minoxidil for 2 weeks, not sure if I should be concerned or just wait a bit longer. It does seem less severe than before though

Have you measured your blood pressure? Minoxidil does not lead to permanent lowering of blood pressure. It is possible you were already on the lower end before starting and are more aware of it as a result of going even lower, but that's just speculation.

https://www.rxlist.com/minoxidil-drug.htm#clinpharm
(Recommended read for anyone taking the drug.)

"The extent and time-course of blood pressure reduction by minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil tablets) tablets) tablets) do not correspond closely to its concentration in plasma. After an effective single oral dose, blood pressure usually starts to decline within one-half hour, reaches a minimum between 2 and 3 hours and recovers at an arithmetically linear rate of about 30%/day. The total duration of effect is approximately 75 hours. When minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil tablets) tablets) tablets) is administered chronically, once or twice a day, the time required to achieve maximum effect on blood pressure with a given daily dose is inversely related to the size of the dose. Thus, maximum effect is achieved on 10 mg/day within 7 days, on 20 mg/day within 5 days, and on 40 mg/day within 3 days.

The blood pressure response to minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil tablets) tablets) tablets) is linearly related to the logarithm of the dose administered. The slope of this log-linear dose-response relationship is proportional to the extent of hypertension and approaches zero at a supine diastolic blood pressure of approximately 85 mm Hg.

When used in severely hypertensive patients resistant to other therapy, frequently with an accompanying diuretic and beta-blocker, minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil tablets) tablets) tablets) tablets usually decreased the blood pressure and reversed encephalopathy and retinopathy."

gonetoday

My Regimen
Reaction score
I never said taking that dose under supervision is stupid, just that drinking high concentrated rogaine is. I'm for one glad that minoxidil is getting a second look by researchers and physicians. If you have the enzymatic prerequisites its almost like the perfect hair loss medication. Problem was they learned that its a pro drug that not everyone has the capacity to activate in the hair and the active form is too large and unstable to mass produce. Its sad to think that we know that minoxidil sulfate is powerful but we cant feasibly get it into the DP without lab equipment and micro particles.

There is a lot of suspicion that the drug that follica is using with its new applicator is primarily minoxidil, so maybe they have figured something out. Though if I'm honest the results look eerily similar (aprox. 4x increase to 5% minoxidil) to the Microneedling study released a while back with the method being almost identical, so am curious how many in office visits will be required.

There has been a lot of arguing going on in this thread regarding oral vs topical. Fact is, topical is safer than oral minoxidil unless you have a higher blood pressure in which case it could be beneficial. With the dosages the majority of people are taking for hair loss, I don't see it being a major issue unless you have a low blood pressure to begin with, and yes there are studies on the effect of low dosage minoxidil on the blood pressure, with participants dropping out as a result of this, have a look at this threads topic and you will see this to be true.

There are other side effects of taking oral minoxidil outside of hypotension, and for hairy reasons i'd probably recommend women avoid the drug.
https://www.rxlist.com/minoxidil-drug.htm#side_effects

The ones I personally am concerned about is number 1 and 2 on that list, which could be potentially solved with a diuretic but then you have to take into account the risks of diuretics. So yes, Topical one point. That isn't to say though that a low dose of oral minoxidil doesn't have an acceptable safety profile for most people, just that topical is safer. If it goes systemic regardless of it passing the GI tract fluid retention is still a thing, I just don't think the risk is as large.

In animal studies, there was liver damage with oral administration, however in autopsies done on humans, they didn't find anything but is definitely something to be aware of.

Now there are potentially benefits outside of lower blood pressure by going the oral route, and that is an increase in the production of Elastin, but since it's has not been proven in humans to work nor do we know the ideal dosage if it did work, you can judge that one for yourself, it definitely shouldn't be a reason to take oral minoxidil but I find it interesting none the less.

This is the link regarding Elastin : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28056723

Next is how effective it is for hair loss, since we don't all have sufficient sulfotransferase enzymes in the hair follicles, if you took 100 people and compared oral is going to show better results. That isn't saying there aren't people out there who are excellent responders to topical minoxidil, because they do exist.

In comes tretinoin, the only study I could find showed 43% of suspected non responders were converted after 5 days of tretinoin applications, that still leaves 57%.. and it doesn't even state how effective it was for the newly converted 43%. There is definitely more research required for that one, as maybe that number increases over time, if you find the best case study for minoxidil, and then divided the non responders by 2 and added it to the responders pile, you would still be unable to find a study which showed worse results for oral minoxidil at 2.5mg or higher and that is not even taking into account the significant difference in the results of the responders, though as that is harder to compare cross study, it is fairer to just use percentage of responders. So for now oral is more effective but in the future that may not always be the case.

Then lastly convenience, this one is pretty obvious.

TLDR if you respond to topical minoxidil and are getting the results you want, great! If not adding tretinoin, dermarolling or taking it orally is a possible alternative, just be aware of what the drug actually does. End of the day it's your body, it's not like we go up to strangers in the bar and lecture them on alcohol consumption.

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is alcohol irritating to the skin, or not?
It all depend at what % !!!!!!!!!
Do your educated yourself, do you read ?! Cause you sound like an average Joe, that have no idea of what is talking , and what is worst, you are proud of it . lol

Vannacci

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is my testimony. I started Oral minoxidil (6 drops of kirkland minoxidil in the morning) in May 2019 (First picture) because I was scary of hairloss even if it wasn't too bad. Im 20yo

So I had a huge shedding first month but then guys, it was incredible, I passed from 80 hairs/day to 5/hairs and i'm not lying. My hair was thicker than ever I was getting regrowth everywhere.

I can say that I had body hair growth, even my mom told me that I was getting hairy wtf. I didn't stop until 6 month because I had to muche fatigue and darck circles (October 2019), I have still no hairloss until these days because the hairs that growed are in the terminal phase but I maybe should get back on treatment in my life, as my dad doesn"t have a lot for hairs.

Good luck

Attachments

• Image-2.jpg
    Image-2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 66469364_372238233429025_4386443669838757888_n.jpg
    66469364_372238233429025_4386443669838757888_n.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 66147433_707806662983681_5919395043415687168_n.jpg
    66147433_707806662983681_5919395043415687168_n.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 302

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is a lot of suspicion that the drug that follica is using with its new applicator is primarily minoxidil, so maybe they have figured something out. Though if I'm honest the results look eerily similar (aprox. 4x increase to 5% minoxidil) to the Microneedling study released a while back with the method being almost identical, so am curious how many in office visits will be required.

There has been a lot of arguing going on in this thread regarding oral vs topical. Fact is, topical is safer than oral minoxidil unless you have a higher blood pressure in which case it could be beneficial. With the dosages the majority of people are taking for hair loss, I don't see it being a major issue unless you have a low blood pressure to begin with, and yes there are studies on the effect of low dosage minoxidil on the blood pressure, with participants dropping out as a result of this, have a look at this threads topic and you will see this to be true.

There are other side effects of taking oral minoxidil outside of hypotension, and for hairy reasons i'd probably recommend women avoid the drug.
https://www.rxlist.com/minoxidil-drug.htm#side_effects

The ones I personally am concerned about is number 1 and 2 on that list, which could be potentially solved with a diuretic but then you have to take into account the risks of diuretics. So yes, Topical one point. That isn't to say though that a low dose of oral minoxidil doesn't have an acceptable safety profile for most people, just that topical is safer. If it goes systemic regardless of it passing the GI tract fluid retention is still a thing, I just don't think the risk is as large.

In animal studies, there was liver damage with oral administration, however in autopsies done on humans, they didn't find anything but is definitely something to be aware of.

Now there are potentially benefits outside of lower blood pressure by going the oral route, and that is an increase in the production of Elastin, but since it's has not been proven in humans to work nor do we know the ideal dosage if it did work, you can judge that one for yourself, it definitely shouldn't be a reason to take oral minoxidil but I find it interesting none the less.

This is the link regarding Elastin : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28056723

Next is how effective it is for hair loss, since we don't all have sufficient sulfotransferase enzymes in the hair follicles, if you took 100 people and compared oral is going to show better results. That isn't saying there aren't people out there who are excellent responders to topical minoxidil, because they do exist.

In comes tretinoin, the only study I could find showed 43% of suspected non responders were converted after 5 days of tretinoin applications, that still leaves 57%.. and it doesn't even state how effective it was for the newly converted 43%. There is definitely more research required for that one, as maybe that number increases over time, if you find the best case study for minoxidil, and then divided the non responders by 2 and added it to the responders pile, you would still be unable to find a study which showed worse results for oral minoxidil at 2.5mg or higher and that is not even taking into account the significant difference in the results of the responders, though as that is harder to compare cross study, it is fairer to just use percentage of responders. So for now oral is more effective but in the future that may not always be the case.

Then lastly convenience, this one is pretty obvious.

TLDR if you respond to topical minoxidil and are getting the results you want, great! If not adding tretinoin, dermarolling or taking it orally is a possible alternative, just be aware of what the drug actually does. End of the day it's your body, it's not like we go up to strangers in the bar and lecture them on alcohol consumption.
Basically this, the only advantage to taking oral vs topical is 1. If you don't respond to topical that doesn't mean you wont respond to oral and 2. convenience, man its so much easier to just swallow something then to make a routine out of greasing your scalp.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is my testimony. I started Oral minoxidil (6 drops of kirkland minoxidil in the morning) in May 2019 (First picture) because I was scary of hairloss even if it wasn't too bad. Im 20yo

So I had a huge shedding first month but then guys, it was incredible, I passed from 80 hairs/day to 5/hairs and i'm not lying. My hair was thicker than ever I was getting regrowth everywhere.

I can say that I had body hair growth, even my mom told me that I was getting hairy wtf. I didn't stop until 6 month because I had to muche fatigue and darck circles (October 2019), I have still no hairloss until these days because the hairs that growed are in the terminal phase but I maybe should get back on treatment in my life, as my dad doesn"t have a lot for hairs.

Good luck

Lol , you can easily get that results with topical minoxidil, not even mention if you add tretinoin.
20 years old and using oral minoxidil, lol.
What is even better, you have no idea what dose are you really using. Please don't tell me " 6 drops "

Vannacci

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol , you can easily get that results with topical minoxidil, not even mention if you add tretinoin.
20 years old and using oral minoxidil, lol.
What is even better, you have no idea what dose are you really using. Please don't tell me " 6 drops "

Don't talk like that you don't know my story.

I tried topical and it was sh*t, I was losing more hairs than ever, I did it the right way for 2 months, but then I stop as it was doing nothing except give a lot of "crust on my "skull" it was horrible.

Here you can only see my hairline, but the whole density is now better than ever, even on the sides, on the back, on the vertex, I can't really see my scalp now, before it was a complex. The pictures are not the best ones but the little hairs are grown now.

Also don't think I'm stupid, I compt the number of drops to make 1ml in my graduette pipette and it was around 40 (I did 10 counts to be sure
and it was the average)
As I know that there is 50mg in 1ml, 6 drops would make 8mg. And it worked.

I dont tell anyone to make someting I just come back and try to help so don't be embittered like that ...

Thank you

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't talk like that you don't know my story.

I tried topical and it was sh*t, I was losing more hairs than ever, I did it the right way for 2 months, but then I stop as it was doing nothing except give a lot of "crust on my "skull" it was horrible.

Here you can only see my hairline, but the whole density is now better than ever, even on the sides, on the back, on the vertex, I can't really see my scalp now, before it was a complex. The pictures are not the best ones but the little hairs are grown now.

Also don't think I'm stupid, I compt the number of drops to make 1ml in my graduette pipette and it was around 40 (I did 10 counts to be sure
and it was the average)
As I know that there is 50mg in 1ml, 6 drops would make 8mg. And it worked.

I dont tell anyone to make someting I just come back and try to help so don't be embittered like that ...

Thank you
2 month ?! lol .

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does anyone here know the answer to this medical question: if my systolic BP drops 10 points from a day or two of using topical minoxidil OR onion juice (because both caused this not joking I used bp measuring device and was getting lightheaded etc), does this mean I have heart issues?