Hypotension From Oral Minoxidil (urgent)

j4r0d

Reaction score
What has your results been like?

when I first tried oral minoxidil, I think I had the best response ever, probably 20% density improvment. In just 2 months you will see a difference.
BTW I think I am poor responder to fina or duta. Today I still take duta .5mg ED. I believe it doesn't make a big difference according to the rate I am shedding ATM.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
when I first tried oral minoxidil, I think I had the best response ever, probably 20% density improvment. In just 2 months you will see a difference.
BTW I think I am poor responder to fina or duta. Today I still take duta .5mg ED. I believe it doesn't make a big difference according to the rate I am shedding ATM.

I take a vast amount of medications for my hair, but it reached a significant point before I treated it, which means minoxidil is needed. I’m hoping to see my hair thicken... :(

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
if you have sleep issue like me on this med, I would recommend to reduce the dose. The only issue is that if you already on the med and having a very positive response at high dose, and you try to reduce to balance the side effect, you are very much likely to face a shed... and that's quite depressing!
I will probably try another time oral minoxidil with maybe 1mg a day, as my condition is really worsening now.
Good luck and watch for your sleep.

which sides effects did you experience exactly? insomnia? What about; arrhythmia? low blood pressure?

j4r0d

Reaction score
which sides effects did you experience exactly? insomnia? What about; arrhythmia? low blood pressure?

No arrhythmia. Blood pressure was ok at such low dose. Though I would not recommend go beyond 5mg.
The only issue for me was insomnia and the ugly dark circles that goes with it.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
No arrhythmia. Blood pressure was ok at such low dose. Though I would not recommend go beyond 5mg.

Yeah i think 5mg is the optimal dosage after experimenting with oral minoxidil since october 2018, tried upwards of 20mg before, no difference to 10mg, i don't think lowering to 5mg will make any difference either which is why im lowering it and will hopefully not get any heart sides, i have had exactly one heart palpitation since starting oral minoxidil and that was only just recently at 10mg but it scared the sh*t out of me lol My heart rate and blood pressure are fine though. Im on spironolactone too so i need to be even more careful with oral min.

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

dark circles underneath your eyes? how long were you on oral minoxidil?

Unacknowledged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’ve been taking oral minoxidil for around 4 months now to combat my diffuse thinning. Although it’s somewhat working, recently my blood pressure has gone way down & I’ve developed hypotension from it. Has anyone else experienced this? I haven’t seen a doctor yet, because my parents think it’ll get better soon now that I’m off it & that I’m overreacting.

I do want to hear feedback from people who have experienced this firsthand though. I feel faint, dizzy, lightheaded, tired, & can feel my heart beating very heavily at times. I think I’ve been experiencing this for around 6 days now & have been off minoxidil for 5.

Yes same here but from the foam. Did go away though.

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but topical medications bypass "first pass effect" meaning that if 2.5-5mg goes systematic it doesn't all get metabolized by the liver. The liver has the highest concentration of sulfotransferase enzymes. Its still a piss poor way to take the medication and i wouldn't recommend it. I wish more research was put into increasing SULT activity in the follicles because yeah the enzyme does specifically exist there. Just most of us poor saps don't have enough of it.

Edit: Swallowing topical minoxidil is probably a pretty stupid idea.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but topical medications bypass "first pass effect" meaning that if 2.5-5mg goes systematic it doesn't all get metabolized by the liver. The liver has the highest concentration of sulfotransferase enzymes. Its still a piss poor way to take the medication and i wouldn't recommend it. I wish more research was put into increasing SULT activity in the follicles because yeah the enzyme does specifically exist there. Just most of us poor saps don't have enough of it.

Edit: Swallowing topical minoxidil is probably a pretty stupid idea.

Why is it stupid to drink topical minoxidil? When oral minoxidil was tested in rats, they couldn't consume a pill so it was consumed in liquid form (mixed into water).

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why is it stupid to drink topical minoxidil? When oral minoxidil was tested in rats, they couldn't consume a pill so it was consumed in liquid form (mixed into water).
"Why is it stupid to drink topical minoxidil?" Is this a real question? Oral minoxidil is rarely used for blood pressure because its a pretty serious medication. Even so it is titrated from 5mg up. Thats 1/10th of a ml of 5% topical. Swallowing any measurable amount of it and you're basically taking the upper limit used to treat blood pressure. The drug has been proposed to exacerbate or possibly cause heart failure, this is especially dangerous if anyone has an undiagnosed heart condition. This kid is 17 years old and he took alot of this stuff. Its a STUPID idea.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
"Why is it stupid to drink topical minoxidil?" Is this a real question? Oral minoxidil is rarely used for blood pressure because its a pretty serious medication. Even so it is titrated from 5mg up. Thats 1/10th of a ml of 5% topical. Swallowing any measurable amount of it and you're basically taking the upper limit used to treat blood pressure. The drug has been proposed to exacerbate or possibly cause heart failure, this is especially dangerous if anyone has an undiagnosed heart condition. This kid is 17 years old and he took alot of this stuff. Its a STUPID idea.

Oral minoxidil is becoming more and more used to treat hair loss by dermatologists, as long as you have no heart problems you will be fine with a dosage of 2.5mg or 5mg.

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral minoxidil is becoming more and more used to treat hair loss by dermatologists, as long as you have no heart problems you will be fine with a dosage of 2.5mg or 5mg.
I never said taking that dose under supervision is stupid, just that drinking high concentrated rogaine is. I'm for one glad that minoxidil is getting a second look by researchers and physicians. If you have the enzymatic prerequisites its almost like the perfect hair loss medication. Problem was they learned that its a pro drug that not everyone has the capacity to activate in the hair and the active form is too large and unstable to mass produce. Its sad to think that we know that minoxidil sulfate is powerful but we cant feasibly get it into the DP without lab equipment and micro particles.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Actually, the dosages for blood pressure range from 5 to 40mg; the dose used for hair loss would be used at doses of 2.5mg/5mg. I am under supervision, I have regular blood pressure/blood tests to check my bodily function. I can purchase a blood pressure device from the internet, and they're inexpensive. I didn't want to resort to this method, but I have been requesting oral minoxidil from my dermatologists for around nine months and they won't give it because it's an off-label medication, which is no excuse since they prescribed me spironolactone which is also an off-label medication which has worse side effects.

I am swallowing around 3mg, using a pipette which contains 50 drops per ml.

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Ikarus is there a reason why you are drinking topical minoxidil instead of just popping a Loniten? less chance of getting hit by the negative side effects?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stop repeteing bushit . THIS IS A 40 years old drug !!! ! That was first used as oral !!!!!! cause side effects they went topical route. Just some dumb doctors use it as oral , The want ot be """""gurus """"""" . Use google, this all stupidity plus oral spironolactones was already tested in early 2000s for many hair loss suffers ( me included ) from hairsite and hairloss .

In the same scenario, there a new study showing that people who don't respond to topical minoxidil, start to respond after they add tretinoin and the paper show that it increase the enzyme that convert minoxidil into minoxidil sulphate !!! Real doctor have being using this formula since ealy 90s, for example Dr Lee and his popular Xandrox ( the real one, not the crap you can buy online now ) . That is science, that is prove.

All this dumb oral minoxidil is better will regrowth all our hair back, is brocience .

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stop repeteing bushit . THIS IS A 40 years old drug !!! ! That was first used as oral !!!!!! cause side effects they went topical route. Just some dumb doctors use it as oral , The want ot be """""gurus """"""" . Use google, this all stupidity plus oral spironolactones was already tested in early 2000s for many hair loss suffers ( me included ) from hairsite and hairloss .

In the same scenario, there a new study showing that people who don't respond to topical minoxidil, start to respond after they add tretinoin and the paper show that it increase the enzyme that convert minoxidil into minoxidil sulphate !!! Real doctor have being using this formula since ealy 90s, for example Dr Lee and his popular Xandrox ( the real one, not the crap you can buy online now ) . That is science, that is prove.

All this dumb oral minoxidil is better will regrowth all our hair back, is brocience .

You need to get over your fixation on berating people who use oral minoxidil, if you are happy with topical and it's helping you then im glad, no need to put down people who use oral. I already know about tretinoin increasing the efficacy of topical.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to get over your fixation on berating people who use oral minoxidil, if you are happy with topical and it's helping you then im glad, no need to put down people who use oral. I already know about tretinoin increasing the efficacy of topical.
Problem is , very young people, believe the sh*t and ignorant people that post here. Are you going to be responsable for the side effects of a 17 years old guy who use oral minoxidil cause you say , without any prove, that it is safe and it give better results than oral ?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Problem is , very young people, believe the sh*t and ignorant people that post here. Are you going to be responsable for the side effects of a 17 years old guy who use oral minoxidil cause you say , without any prove, that it is safe and it give better results than oral ?

Im overall pretty happy with oral minoxidil, no amazing regrowth but enough to make a difference, i have no need to use topical anymore. I was using topical+dermarolling for nearly a year alongside the oral and my hair hasn't gotten any worse since stopping the topical, no more hassle involved, just pop a pill at night and im good. Im reducing my dosage from 10mg to 5mg though, i think that's the optimal dosage. I have never actually tried tretinoin alongside minoxidil but i know it helps.

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually, the dosages for blood pressure range from 5 to 40mg; the dose used for hair loss would be used at doses of 2.5mg/5mg. I am under supervision, I have regular blood pressure/blood tests to check my bodily function. I can purchase a blood pressure device from the internet, and they're inexpensive. I didn't want to resort to this method, but I have been requesting oral minoxidil from my dermatologists for around nine months and they won't give it because it's an off-label medication, which is no excuse since they prescribed me spironolactone which is also an off-label medication which has worse side effects.

I am swallowing around 3mg, using a pipette which contains 50 drops per ml.
Well sounds like you're aware of what you're doing. Hope you see results.