Hypotension From Oral Minoxidil (urgent)

Analogies

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah i just restarted spironolactone at 100mg, was on 200mg for 5 months but stopped due to gyno concerns, no sensitive chest or anything at 100mg so i think i am safe from gyno at that dosage. Definitely helps with water retntion, i put on about 11lbs of water weight with oral minoxidil. If you want to use it just to get rid of water retention use a lower dose than 100mg. I don't know how effective natural diuretics like dandelion root are for water weight from oral min.
Be sure keep an eye on your kidney function while on Spironolactone, you can really f*** yourself up without knowing it. After I took it for a few months my urine began sinking to the bottom of the bowl, indicating that I was dehydrated. I stopped taking it and it's still a problem, meaning I may have permanently damaged my kidneys. A lot of people don't even get symptoms until they find out their kidneys are running at 50%. Get a test done, if you haven't already. Personally, I wouldn't take it...

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Be sure keep an eye on your kidney function while on Spironolactone, you can really f*** yourself up without knowing it. After I took it for a few months my urine began sinking to the bottom of the bowl, indicating that I was dehydrated. I stopped taking it and it's still a problem, meaning I may have permanently damaged my kidneys. A lot of people don't even get symptoms until they find out their kidneys are running at 50%. Get a test done, if you haven't already. Personally, I wouldn't take it...

Thanks for the warning, i don't think i have any problems currently but i will keep an eye out.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical minoxidil is useless for the majority of men thats the truth here.Oral minoxidil is the best thing there, excluding tranny drugs or chopping your balls off.
Lol, useless cause you say so . Studies show the opositive . But what they know, don't ? lol

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is coming from someone with spironolactone cream in their regimen...
So ? It don't go systemic.

What it is really amazing , People like you, that think that internet was invented yesterday and Minoxidil is the new thing. Lol. In fact, Spironolactone oral plus minoxidil oral was a popular combo in 2000s , check old post from hairsite. With time, people understood the side effect and that, it was not safer or more effective than topical .

gonetoday

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, one person, really ? I can show you people that regain all his har with topical minoxidil .

It does seem like you are on a warpath against oral minoxidil, not entirely sure why. If it is out of concern for our health, thank you it is appreciated. Saying that, does topical minoxidil go systemic? Some have said it does but I personally can't find anything on google. That would bring in to question the safety of either delivery method.

My personal take is that it is personally working better than topical did for me, this could be because of the lack of enzyme which could possibly be remedied by tretinoin as you said, can't say for certain. For me the biggest selling factor for oral vs topical is pure convenience. I would always miss dosages of topical as would be heading out and didn't want my head to look like a greasy mess, that is the biggest factor for me why I take oral. I am unaware if topical is as effective as oral outside of that fact, though oral is superior for me it is due to the fact i take it consistently.

You do have to take into account peoples lifestyles when it comes to delivery method.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It does seem like you are on a warpath against oral minoxidil, not entirely sure why. If it is out of concern for our health, thank you it is appreciated. Saying that, does topical minoxidil go systemic? Some have said it does but I personally can't find anything on google. That would bring in to question the safety of either delivery method.

My personal take is that it is personally working better than topical did for me, this could be because of the lack of enzyme which could possibly be remedied by tretinoin as you said, can't say for certain. For me the biggest selling factor for oral vs topical is pure convenience. I would always miss dosages of topical as would be heading out and didn't want my head to look like a greasy mess, that is the biggest factor for me why I take oral. I am unaware if topical is as effective as oral outside of that fact, though oral is superior for me it is due to the fact i take it consistently.

You do have to take into account peoples lifestyles when it comes to delivery method.

It’s a strange one. He really doesn’t like oral minoxidil. It’s good that people are aware of sides but he just ignores what everyone says and goes on about ‘how good topical is’. Its success rate is about 35%.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score

Topical minoxidil does go systematic, study showed that between 2.5 or so and 5mg goes systemic when 5% is applied to the whole of the scalp.But i agree with you not everyone responds to topical, then some do but only get mild regrowth then you have the crazy amazing results from some people. Im sticking with oral, simpler, and at 5mg i doubt i will have any serious sides.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So ? It don't go systemic.

What it is really amazing , People like you, that think that internet was invented yesterday and Minoxidil is the new thing. Lol. In fact, Spironolactone oral plus minoxidil oral was a popular combo in 2000s , check old post from hairsite. With time, people understood the side effect and that, it was not safer or more effective than topical .

I’m mentioning your use of spironolactone cream because it’s a gimmick.

Oral spironolactone was not used within men who had hair loss within the 2000s because it’s an anti-androgen which poses de-masculinising side effects. It was probably popular within women, but women have an entirely different response rate to males. No one is claiming that it’s safer than topical minoxidil, but it’s definitely more effective than topical minoxidil. Again, oral medications are less of a hassle and require significantly less time, whilst avoiding the irritation the topical can have on the follicles and scalp (due to alcohols).

Lol, one person, really ? I can show you people that regain all his har with topical minoxidil .

I would like you to show me someone who had the same results and starting point as Bridge whilst using topical minoxidil.

It’s a strange one. He really doesn’t like oral minoxidil. It’s good that people are aware of sides but he just ignores what everyone says and goes on about ‘how good topical is’. Its success rate is about 35%.

It’s success rate is mentioned as being ‘high’ because of people who have managed to maintain, otherwise the legitimate success rate of regrowth is around 30%, and the levels of regrowth can be insignificant to us.

Topical minoxidil does go systematic, study showed that between 2.5 or so and 5mg goes systemic when 5% is applied to the whole of the scalp.But i agree with you not everyone responds to topical, then some do but only get mild regrowth then you have the crazy amazing results from some people. Im sticking with oral, simpler, and at 5mg i doubt i will have any serious sides.

I doubt that much goes systematically, otherwise people would be experience the same effects as oral minoxidil, such as increased body hair.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m mentioning your use of spironolactone cream because it’s a gimmick.

Oral spironolactone was not used within men who had hair loss within the 2000s because it’s an anti-androgen which poses de-masculinising side effects. It was probably popular within women, but women have an entirely different response rate to males. No one is claiming that it’s safer than topical minoxidil, but it’s definitely more effective than topical minoxidil. Again, oral medications are less of a hassle and require significantly less time, whilst avoiding the irritation the topical can have on the follicles and scalp (due to alcohols).

I would like you to show me someone who had the same results and starting point as Bridge whilst using topical minoxidil.

It’s success rate is mentioned as being ‘high’ because of people who have managed to maintain, otherwise the legitimate success rate of regrowth is around 30%, and the levels of regrowth can be insignificant to us.

I doubt that much goes systematically, otherwise people would be experience the same effects as oral minoxidil, such as increased body hair.

It was a study done, it's definitely between 2 and 5mg but it was just one study mind you and i can't seem to find it lol Plus you are right if that much was going systemic people even without the enyzme on their scalp would be getting regrowth, weird.

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like this thread turnt into something else

Update: Postural Hypotension is now almost gone & hardly noticeable. I’ve been off oral minoxidil for 10 days? I’ll be resuming it Sunday on 5 mg/day

I think the problem before was I was taking 10 MGs most days & a few times shot up to 20 MGs while on oral + used 1 ml topically. Didn’t measure my doses too well

gonetoday

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like this thread turnt into something else

Update: Postural Hypotension is now almost gone & hardly noticeable. I’ve been off oral minoxidil for 10 days? I’ll be resuming it Sunday on 5 mg/day

I think the problem before was I was taking 10 MGs most days & a few times shot up to 20 MGs while on oral + used 1 ml topically. Didn’t measure my doses too well

Hey sorry Dhldan for going off topic. Do you have anyway of measuring your blood pressure at home? If not possibly look into purchasing one, alternatively my GP had a blood pressure monitor in the lobby which was accessible to all without an appointment, it's possible yours might as well.

Regarding dosing, I am not sure what your sleep schedule is like, but if it is consistent you could just do it in the morning when you wake up that way it will be more reliable. As mentioned in this thread it is possible that topical also goes systemic so you could be receiving internally far more minoxidil than you are aware of. As you had problems before, I can only suggest waiting till you receive your blood pressure monitor before restarting.

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@gonetoday do you think it would be okay for me to take oral minoxidil (2.5mg/daily) given that I have a very mild heart condition (mitral valve prolapse)? I hate, hate & hate topical minoxidil. It's greasy, hard to apply, it always drips down my face, gives me acne, etc...

gonetoday

My Regimen
Reaction score
@gonetoday do you think it would be okay for me to take oral minoxidil (2.5mg/daily) given that I have a very mild heart condition (mitral valve prolapse)? I hate, hate & hate topical minoxidil. It's greasy, hard to apply, it always drips down my face, gives me acne, etc...

Asking the wrong person mate :/

Think you would be far more aware of the risks than me, logical answer is to ask your doctor but frankly the answer from them would be to avoid it as they have a lot to lose by being wrong on that one.

If topical truly does go systemic, then I personally don't see what the difference is but I haven' t read that study only seen it referenced. If that is the case though question is should you be taking minoxidil at all.

j4r0d

Reaction score
When you had to quit, did you maintain the regrowth since you went straight to topical?

I do not maintain on topical twice a day. It is not shedding all a sudden, but about 1-2 month later I switch from oral to topical, I can really tell that my hair density is fucked up.
I also tried needling using derminator once a week (length between 1 and 2mm) + minoxidil topical twice a day. Barely makes a difference. If it does, it is usually followed by a periodical shed. So for me this is not efficient. Been trying this for 7 month.

Oral minoxidil result is rapidly visible, my hair switch from blond to brown. And the density is rapidly better. It is definitely the med for diffuse thinners... if only I haven't had the fuckin side effect I would stay on it.

Last edited:

j4r0d

Reaction score
What dose?

2.5mg per day is enough. 5mg would be really the max dose. More than that would give me hypotension effect and heart pounding.
The issue is that even at a low dosage of 2.5mg I experience sleeplessness. Thats a deal breaker for me.

j4r0d

Reaction score
Im having problems with sleep even with lots of stuff to make you sleepy, im dealing with other problems right now i put it down to but oral min might also be hindering my sleep if you are having problems with it in that regard. I don't think it's the culprit tbh but something i will keep an eye on. I take 10mg, going to cut it down to 5mg.

if you have sleep issue like me on this med, I would recommend to reduce the dose. The only issue is that if you already on the med and having a very positive response at high dose, and you try to reduce to balance the side effect, you are very much likely to face a shed... and that's quite depressing!
I will probably try another time oral minoxidil with maybe 1mg a day, as my condition is really worsening now.
Good luck and watch for your sleep.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do not maintain on topical twice a day. It is not shedding all a sudden, but about 1-2 month later I switch from oral to topical, I can really tell that my hair density is fucked up.
I also tried needling using derminator once a week (length between 1 and 2mm) + minoxidil topical twice a day. Barely makes a difference. If it does, it is usually followed by a periodical shed. So for my this is not efficient. Been trying this about 7 month.

Oral minoxidil result is rapidly visible, my hair switch from blond to brown. And the density is rapidly better. It is definitely the med for diffuse thinners... if only I haven't had the fuckin side effect I would stay on it.

I’m a diffuse thinner; hopefully I’ll respond recently to it.

2.5mg per day is enough. 5mg would be really the max dose. More than that would give me hypotension effect and heart pounding.
The issue is that even at a low dosage of 2.5mg I experience sleeplessness. Thats a deal breaker for me.

I used 5mg accidentally today, I’m going to reduce it down to 2.5mg tomorrow. What time would you recommend using it? I used it at nighttime today, but I think I’m going to start using it in the morning instead...

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
if you have sleep issue like me on this med, I would recommend to reduce the dose. The only issue is that if you already on the med and having a very positive response at high dose, and you try to reduce to balance the side effect, you are very much likely to face a shed... and that's quite depressing!
I will probably try another time oral minoxidil with maybe 1mg a day, as my condition is really worsening now.
Good luck and watch for your sleep.

What has your results been like?

j4r0d

Reaction score
I’m a diffuse thinner; hopefully I’ll respond recently to it.

I used 5mg accidentally today, I’m going to reduce it down to 2.5mg tomorrow. What time would you recommend using it? I used it at nighttime today, but I think I’m going to start using it in the morning instead...

I tried morning, evening, half/half... didn't change the sleeplessness issue. I guess it's only a matter of dose.