Human Hair Vs. Mix With Synthetic: Advantages?

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Still trying to learn to love my unit. Solved a lot of the problems I had with it--lightened the color so it's a better match with my bio hair and skin tone, finally thinned out the density enough so that it's more natural and age-appropriate, etc. But something that continues to bother me is the feel of it. The unit (which has no grey in it, btw) is apparently made from a mix of human hair and fiber. It feels a little "costume-ish"--I compared it today to a human hair wig and the difference in feel was obvious--and it tends to not work well with some products.

Are hybrids like this unusual? Are there any advantages to using synthetic hair--longer life, less shedding, etc.?

Noah

Reaction score
I have never heard of that before, except for systems with a percentage of grey hair, where they grey is normally synthetic.

The big advantage of synthetic hair is that it doesn't fade - the colour always remain fixed. That is a big plus, but it is hard to see how it works if there is human hair in the same hairpiece - it seems like some of the hair would be fading and some not. The big disadvantage of synthetic hair is (the opposite side of the same coin) that you can't bleach the knots.

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm. That's an interesting point, because my understanding like yours is that one can't bleach fiber. But a few days ago I bleached the hair (not the knots--it's a poly base) to lift it one level. It appears that it all lightened the same way. Perhaps it's too subtle a color shift to notice that some of it didn't lighten?

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It seemed to survive the blow dryer okay. Never tried straighteners. Something I've noticed: after the unit is washed and blotted dry, it sometimes starts to matt up. Is that normal?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah f*** synthetic hair it would melt if styled with heat,hair straightners,etc

There are a number of reasons why someone would use synthetic hair in a hair system.

1. Grey: Human grey is hard to come by, which also limits available length. The new synthetics can be better, and more natural looking than over-processed Indian hair, that is stipped and dyed.

2. Length: The longer the hair, the more expensive, and the harder to source. There is more of a likelihood for shedding, breakage and tangling with human hair, as the hair gets longer. Synthetic hair can help to minimize this.

3. Longevity: Because synthetic does not fade, you can get longer life out of a system.

Some of the drawbacks are you can't bleach the knots, or use high heat for styling (which ruins human hair, as well). You also can't color it, which requires you to order the correct color from the get go.

Both of my current systems are a mix of human/synthetic (roughly 25%/75%), and I challenge anyone to tell the difference.

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It seemed to survive the blow dryer okay. Never tried straighteners. Something I've noticed: after the unit is washed and blotted dry, it sometimes starts to matt up. Is that normal?

It depends on the quality of the hair, and the length.

Noah

Reaction score
Yes, there are big differences in the quality and price of synthetic hair. The best stuff is Toupelon or Kanakelon from Japan, and it's a lot more expensive than natural hair, but it does look very realistic, and it doesn't fade. There is also some very cheap unrealistic stuff. You wouldn't want to stand too close to a naked flame if you're wearing that LOL.

I can't explain how yours has faded, NYCHairGuy. That is something new to me.

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Noah, I can't explain it either. One possible explanation is that we don't know what the hair/fiber ratio is on this unit. If the vast majority is in fact human hair, perhaps I just can't see the fibers that are still the original color.

lace

Reaction score
I have written previously about my ventilating experience with heat resistant synthetic hair. Since this post mentions issues with heat I am posting a copy of a post I made on another forum. I deleted the various screen names of the posters, but, I include in Italics their comments. My comments are not in italic.

Post from another forum......
I started experimenting with synthetic hair about 3 1/2 years ago as a substitute for human hair when I add (ventilate) hair into an existing hairpiece. Eventually a couple of my hairpieces were converted into all synthetic hairpieces, 98% to 100% synthetic. I now have extensive experience with synthetic hair in a wide variety of real world environments which I will comment on in this post.
"Does it last longer?" Yes. See my comments below. When I say "yes" I mean the synthetic hair lasts longer. The condition of the lace also affects longevity. If the lace goes bad then longevity is shortened, human or synthetic.
"Does the sheen and color last longer?" Yes. See my comments below.
" I think they've improved synthetics more recently than my experience of it a few years ago." One cannot compare the synthetic hair of the past with what is available now. High quality heat resistant synthetic is nothing like the older versions.
" My experience with synthetic was that it didn't behave quite like human hair and became out of shape." You are correct about it not behaving quite like human hair. It does not. But then the human hair in a hairpiece during the first month behaves differently than the behavior in subsequent months. Proper conditioning helps, but change happens. No way to avoid the change.
" It (the synthetic hair) bent and crinkled over night as I slept or if I wore a hat." I have never experienced "crinkling." One of the most positive characteristics of synthetic hair for me is that it almost always looks the same when I get up in the morning. I rarely even touch the hair after I get up. At most a quick adjustment with my fingers or a comb. That is it. Not so with human hair. As for a hat.....hats tend to flatten the hair whether human or synthetic.
"... my head gets particularly hot and synthetic hair reshapes under heat." I spend a lot of time in SE Asia, usually 3 to 4 months yearly between the months of March and July. The latitude where I visit varies between 12-14 degrees north. The sun is either directly over head, or, slightly to the south or north. It is hot, the sun is brutal, the humidity is extreme. I observe no "reshaping" other than that caused by severe thunderstorms. In the USA I live in the desert SW. Summertime temps can reach 115F +. Whether 115F in the summer or 32F or below in the winter I observe no difference.
".... that means it can be re-straightened and tamed using a hairdryer or steam." A hairdryer will alter the shape of heat resistant synthetic hair (same with human hair). I have never used steam. No reason for steam. Steam became popular with the "old" synthetic hair because it tended to frizz. High quality heat resistant synthetic in my experience does not frizz. Also, non heat resistant synthetic hair can also "melt" under excessive heat. I have tested the synthetic hair that I use at over 300 degrees F (almost 150 C), the temp at the exit point of the nozzle of my hair dryer measured with a digital heat thermometer. Zero effect on the hair other than for styling purposes.
" Its biggest advantage is that it never changes colour, so you can dye the rest of your hair and the synthetic grey remains unaffected." I agree that this is an advantage. Not that it is the biggest advantage. Anyone who wears human hair experiences color change. Often severe change. I mentioned above my experience in SE Asia. I once wore a human hair piece for almost 4 months in SE Asia. The hair was fried. Destroyed. Beyond repair. Likewise the swiss lace (I now only use french lace). With synthetic hair I can easily go 4 months without any color change. None. To me.....this is the "biggest" advantage. I should also add that I do 10-11 one mile swims each month in a chlorinated swimming pool. The chlorine has no effect on the synthetic. Human hair....expect a big color shift.
One additional point not mentioned in the above post. Hair length. I think everyone would agree that longer hair requires more care. It is more prone to tangling. Long synthetic hair tangles more easily than human hair. My source for synthetic hair is synthetic hair extensions. The hair length is typically 18" to 24". Tangling is a problem. Before I ventilate I lay out the extension, spray a 50-50 solution of Infusion 21 and water onto the hair. This eliminates most static electricity and thus significantly reduces tangling thus facilitating ventilation. I then cut off hair from the clips per what I plan to use. Once I cut the ventilated hair to my hair length which ranges from 1 1/2" to about 3" tangling is a non issue.
I am not suggesting that synthetic is the perfect solution. It is not. Neither is human hair. The perfect hair piece does not exist. Probably never will. Issues will likely always exist. I have both types of pieces. I remain hopeful that technological advances will make the hair pieces of tomorrow better....... End of post from the other forum.

When I use a hair dryer I typically hold the nozzle between 1" to 3" from the hair which makes styling quite easy. Since the nozzle is very close to the scalp I can only maintain this position for a few seconds without running the risk of a scalp burn. (The minimum temperature that can cause a skin burn in a finite amount of time is 44 °C (111 °F). From 44° to 51 °C (111° to 124 °F), the rate of burn increases by a factor of approximately four with each Celsius degree risen or twice per Fahrenheit degree risen, from six hours down to six seconds.) Since synthetic hair does not absorb moisture drying time is measured in seconds as opposed to human hair which requires more time.

Noah.......you mention that you believe that the Japanese make the best synthetic hair. How did you arrive at that conclusion? I have no idea where the synthetic hair I use (various suppliers) is made. I order through China, but, that does not mean the hair was manufactured in China. Perhaps it comes from Japan.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Lace, it was just from talking to various suppliers. The company which has invested the money in synthetic hair technology is called Aderans, which is Japan's biggest hair replacement company, and quite innovative. Hair replacement is quite a big business here.

lace

Reaction score
Hi Lace, it was just from talking to various suppliers. The company which has invested the money in synthetic hair technology is called Aderans, which is Japan's biggest hair replacement company, and quite innovative. Hair replacement is quite a big business here.

Thanks.....Aderans is a huge international company. I will try to find out if they sell bulk synthetic hair.

Because of labor costs, like many hair piece companies, Aderans has opened factories in other countries. Aderans has a couple factories in the Philippines, 2 in Thailand and 1 in Laos. However, Thailand is now becoming a problem because of rising labor costs. I suspect Aderans will expand more into Laos. Cambodia may also become an option.

Most hair piece wearers think that their "Chinese" pieces are made in China. In fact they are distributed through China but are likely made in other countries. Labor rates in China are now too high when manufacturing highly labor intensive hair pieces (40 hours for a topper). Outsourcing now big in China. I suspect Vietnam's production of hair pieces is also on the rise.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very informative post! I have 80% grey in my piece.the first year I wore a system, I insisted on bying human grey hair. My experience was not all good. Lots of sheding ( a light density piece would last me 5 to 6 weeks), yellowing of grey hair in the sun, texture issues such as fizzing or coarse dry hair..always was trying different conditioners... the company I buy pieces from suggested I try synthetic grey, so tried it out (was same price, kanakelon is what it is supposed to be..) actually like synthetic grey better. Color is whiter, sheen is nicer, does not break ( or shed) as much ...I like the way the hair behaves...better texture, less frizzy, curly than human or yakhair. NOT afraid to wash the piece anymore, with just dish soap..

rme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dear All.

What you recommend for me, that I get bleach knots option all hair ?
Currently, unfortunatel I get just at hairline.
Because I want to cut 1 piece into 3 parts.
Idea?

Noah

Reaction score
If you are going to cut smaller partial pieces out of a larger system, then ideally you need one on which all the knots are bleached. Otherwise you will have to do the bleaching yourself.

rme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are going to cut smaller partial pieces out of a larger system, then ideally you need one on which all the knots are bleached. Otherwise you will have to do the bleaching yourself.
Yeh, I know, but how do I do it? My hair color is 1B# off black. (lordhair)
Just hairline all parts.

rme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I bought a S7M system. But, I want to bleach knots on my off black (#1B) hair, around the line of system.

What exactly do I need to buy?