How young is too young?

Trog

Reaction score
I'm 21, and I've probably been shedding for about a year. It's not bad yet - probably not even noticeable to anyone but me. But it'll get there, so I'm eager to get started on a regimen. Finasteride seems like the best way to go (simplest, most effective) but I'm kind of terrified of screwing around with my hormone levels, and especially at my age. I'm basically done growing, but my body might well still be finishing out some developmental stuff, so I'm wary about something like finasteride.

Am I being too nervous? It just seems that when you're talking about fiddling with body chemistry, more is unknown than known, so why take extra risks? There has to be a reliable age where it becomes definitely safe, so when is that?

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It depends how serious you are about keeping your hair. If it really bothers you to lose it, there is no point in wasting time. Plus finasteride doesn't really screw you that much (contrary to what a lot of people believe), its not like you're doing a powerful anabolic steroid cycle.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I thought you were talking about girls.. I was going to say 15.

or if there's grass on the wicket, let's play cricket :)

Umm, I'd say 21 was pretty safe, I can't imagine you're still growing/developing at that age.. but there are other things you can take if you want to play it safe for another year (Nizoral, spironolactone, etc).

abcdefg

Reaction score
Dont be dumb taking a drug is never 100 percent safe any doctor will tell you that. Everyone is a little different.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Dont be dumb taking a drug is never 100 percent safe any doctor will tell you that. Everyone is a little different.

I agree with you, however to save the hair, you gotta take some risk.

barcafan

Reaction score
I thought the only thing finasteride changes is DHT levels which doesnt ever find its way into the skeletal/muscular system. I started taking it at 18 and i dont think its one of those drugs which will f*** up your growth process unless you take it when you're like 10.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Finasteride does more than block DHT, it also:

- block numerous neurosteroid pathways -- such as 5AR-reduction of Progesterone -> Allopregnanolone (via 5a-DHP)

- blocks 5AR reduction of Deoxycorticosterone -> 5aTHDOC (via 5a-DHDOC)

- blocks 5AR reduction of Androstenedione/Testosterone -> Androstanediol (via 5a-DHT)

- interferes with the brain’s GABA-A receptor, due to depleted Allopregnanolone

Don't believe me, research it yourself. But by taking Finasteride and inhibiting 5AR, you ARE doing more than just "blocking DHT".

Pondle

Reaction score
Bill Rassman at baldingblog.com has stated several times that finasteride would not affect growth, and we know from various studies that DHT is not needed for muscle mass or bone density.

Finasteride's effects on neurosteroids in humans are largely unknown - studies were conducted on rodents, using very large doses, and in rodents finasteride inhibits both types of 5AR. We do not know the relative importance of the two types of 5AR in the metabolism of progesterone to allopregnanolone, but I think it is reasonable to assume that type 1 is more important in this, because unlike type 2 it is actually found in brain tissue.

CCS

Reaction score
The only reason to wait before getting on finasteride is if you dick is smaller than you want and you think you are young enough that it still might get bigger. If you are still going through puberty, I'd use Eucapil or spironolactone or and revivogen.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
14 is too young. Personally I wont hit any chick under 21.

G

RaginDemon said:
14 is too young. Personally I wont hit any chick under 21.

Lol, for me the critical age would be 15 and younger. 16+ is fine. Guess, I am just a sick pervert.

Trog,

21 is the perfect age, I wish I had started Finasteride at 20.....

IBM

Reaction score
If i had a crush on a 15 years old i would date her if she had the same feelings. Love have no age, religion or color.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
IBM said:
If i had a crush on a 15 years old i would date her if she had the same feelings. Love have no age, religion or color.

HOLY f***, YOU'RE ONE SICK MOFO!

dude you got issues, I am dead serious!

Pondle

Reaction score
IBM said:

:freaked:

As it says on the monopoly board, "go to jail".

RaginDemon

Reaction score
believe me, some of these fellas were actually serious about what they said.

Dannie

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
The only reason to wait before getting on finasteride is if you dick is smaller than you want and you think you are young enough that it still might get bigger. If you are still going through puberty, I'd use Eucapil or spironolactone or and revivogen.

can your dick really shrink from propecia?

Pondle

Reaction score
Dannie said:
can your dick really shrink from propecia?

There is no evidence of this in humans. One study in rats (where finasteride inhibits both 5AR isoenzymes) seems to suggest that finasteride treatment can alter penile tissue. But that's a far cry from suggesting that Proscar or Propecia at normal doses can shrink a human penis.

abcdefg

Reaction score
The body isnt simple ask any scientist if we understand it completely im sure they will laugh and say of course not. The drug like any carries some decent amount of risk. If your hairloss bothers you a lot it might be worth it. No one can really tell you for sure what lowering dht to unnatural levels really does to us. We have educated guesses that say it seems to be safe, but that might not be true. There are most likely some things we dont know about yet hopefully nothing to serious.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Certainly you arent serious about love having no age. Age difference matters. Come on you think a 15 year old makes decisions the same way a 25 year old does? give me a break.