How To Tell If You Have Diffuse Thinning?

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a suspicion that I'm diffuse thinning. Hair feels thinner when I run my hands through it, and when I come my hair back when wet I can see more scalp. However to everyone else it still appears as if I have a full head of hair, and I heard it only becomes really noticeable once you've lost >50% of your density.

Now with that said, how can you tell early on if you're diffuse thinning? Of course it could be some weird onset of Telogen Effluvium, but I doubt it. I saw a derm a while ago who looked at the center of my scalp for a second, said I have plenty of hair and to carry on with my day.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
you can tell when you cant style your hair the same as you did when you had full density

simple

Seeker988

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just checked all of your threads. I think you just have a mature hairline. Your hair has hardly changed over the years. You've had a bit of temporal recession but maybe that's just because of puberty. You're fine IMO

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Add Ciptures
Of which part of my scalp exactly? It's hard to showcase it in pictures.

you can tell when you cant style your hair the same as you did when you had full density

simple

I can style it the same for the most part. Looks a little less full, but I'm not sure if that's due to thinning or if my barber just tinned my hair too much.

Just checked all of your threads. I think you just have a mature hairline. Your hair has hardly changed over the years. You've had a bit of temporal recession but maybe that's just because of puberty. You're fine IMO
Thank you, I've definitely noticed my temples going further and further back as the years go, which worries me because I'm only in my early 20's. I'll post an update thread with new pictures in a month or two. Trying to stay off the forums for my sanity haha.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You know you're diffusing when the hair on top is noticeably thinner than the hair on the back and sides.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
You know you're diffusing when the hair on top is noticeably thinner than the hair on the back and sides.

Yes that's the problem, I can't tell if I'm suddenly losing hair, seeing things, or just got a bad haircut. My derm and people I've asked for opinions say it's nothing, but they aren't exactly hair experts (aside form the derm who barely took a look). I feel like maybe it's early enough so that only I notice it, which is what makes it tricky to tell.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Bro, you been posting these kind of threads for years. Just get on finasteride for a piece of mind already.
You're right, but if I get on finasteride I know I'm going to be just as worried about sides (even if I don't get any). It's lose lose.

Seeker988

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're right, but if I get on finasteride I know I'm going to be just as worried about sides (even if I don't get any). It's lose lose.
I know just how you feel. On some days,you feel that your hair is perfect and doesn't need any meditation but on other days you find some stray hairs and begin worrying again. Your mind wants to stay at peace by being convinced that you don't have male pattern baldness. But after you realise that you have male pattern baldness,an entire new ball game of worries. Checking the progress with finasteride,rogaine etc,worrying about the shedding phase, constantly monitoring whether you're gaining or losing mark. Shits fucked up on either side

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
very hard to say in the beginning stages indeed

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

exactly... buzz it all down to a 3-4 guard and you will notice this horseshoe. f*****g horryfing.