how to switch from topical to oral minoxidil

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
i've been on topical for many years ( + dutasteride) ,and i also tried 1.25 mg for short terms but get hypertrichosis.
however i am too tired of appplying this topical sh*t daily, moreover i apply crazy amount like 8-10 ml daily to cover whole diffuse and retrograde alopecia

so i wonder what could be a proper dosage to switch cold turkey? maybe 2.5 mg ? is it better than massive dosage of topical? does the fact of having hypertrichosis correlate with good scalp hair result? i am afraid that my scalp might feel underdose with 2.5 mg ( its dr donovan theory), because of the massive amount of topical i used to apply ... thanks
i wish there was oral minoxidil trend years ago when i started, like this i would just have taken 2.5 mg and not this topical sh*t

Nodonor2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Enjoy the hypertrichosis bro ,also if your getting hair every here your head hair will probbly respond .but your on too low a dose I'm on 5mg a day for 4 months with no results not sure if I need to take 10mg a day to get some results

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Enjoy the hypertrichosis bro ,also if your getting hair every here your head hair will probbly respond .but your on too low a dose I'm on 5mg a day for 4 months with no results not sure if I need to take 10mg a day to get some results
you get hypertrichosis from 5 mg???

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
just don't know if the fact that i get such hypertrichosis from only topical dosage ( 8 ml a day) means it works for the scalp hair too
maybe just taking 2.5 mg oraly would be more beneficial for the scalp, with less irritation, flaking and maybe less hypertrichosis/ unwanted hair, so a win win situation. i might switch cold turkey

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought you had zero hypertrichosis after years of topical min and then only experienced it after trying oral min?

Lurker otto

My Regimen
Reaction score
just don't know if the fact that i get such hypertrichosis from only topical dosage ( 8 ml a day) means it works for the scalp hair too
maybe just taking 2.5 mg oraly would be more beneficial for the scalp, with less irritation, flaking and maybe less hypertrichosis/ unwanted hair, so a win win situation. i might switch cold turkey
Do you have better results with 8ml of topical minoxidil daily than with 1 or 2ml?

dodgePT

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stop complicating guys, if topical doesn't work, try oral. 1.5mg might be enough, but I use 12mg and I've no side effects with this dosage.
Still, consult with a physician, they know better, as long as they're experienced with hairloss, which by the way, they're rare.
Still, they know your heart history, or should, because this drug has cardiovascular implications.
minoxidil is a potassium channel opener, wich causes vasodilation and consequent increase in blood flow. So, be careful.

MrClean1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stop complicating guys, if topical doesn't work, try oral. 1.5mg might be enough, but I use 12mg and I've no side effects with this dosage.
Still, consult with a physician, they know better, as long as they're experienced with hairloss, which by the way, they're rare.
Still, they know your heart history, or should, because this drug has cardiovascular implications.
minoxidil is a potassium channel opener, wich causes vasodilation and consequent increase in blood flow. So, be careful.
What kind of results are you getting?

Nodonor2

My Regimen
Reaction score
you get hypertrichosis from 5 mg???
I think so yeah, I'm using topical minoxidil foam once a week on monday after dermarolling session.but oral minoxidil every day 7 days a week along with dutasteride and finasteride I've never heard of anyone using topical minoxidil only once a week so I thought it would compliment using the microneedling

Last edited:

Nodonor2

My Regimen
Reaction score
more hypertrichosis on face and body but no more scalp result. i don't know if there is a correlation
Well I'm not sure because 5mg after 4.5 months is not working for my scalp hair,no shedding and no regrowth or thickening, topical daily never did a thing for me either but had no hyperticissis on topical but I think it's made my once thin almost bald arm hair longer and denser I dont like it but it will go after stopping,I think I'll continue with 5mg for maybe 1 or 2 more months if no results I can assume I'm a non responder and up the dose to 10mg

Last edited:

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I'm not sure because 5mg after 4.5 months is not working for my scalp hair,no shedding and no regrowth or thickening, but I think it's made my once thin almost bald arm hair longer and denser I dont like it but it will go after stopping imo as it will no longer be stimulated,if I get no results on scalp.im trying to decide if I should try 10mg a day long with my pretty hardcore regimen.
u gotta use it twice a day man. Study used 5mg twice a day man man man man man.

Nodonor2

My Regimen
Reaction score
u gotta use it twice a day man. Study used 5mg twice a day man man man man man.
Maybe if I dont get any results around month 5 or 6 I'll add another 5mg so total 10 mg a day oral minoxidil
Along with 0.5 mg dutas 3 times a week and finasteride 1 mg on the other days,dermarolling once a week 2.5 depth not 1.5 with topical minoxidil. And prey for results

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe if I dont get any results around month 5 or 6 I'll add another 5mg so total 10 mg a day oral minoxidil
Along with 0.5 mg dutas 3 times a week and finasteride 1 mg on the other days,dermarolling once a week 2.5 depth not 1.5 with topical minoxidil. And prey for results
so with oral you have no more scalp result but more unwanted body hair?

Nodonor2

My Regimen
Reaction score
so with oral you have no more scalp result but more unwanted body hair?
Correct I'm around 4.5 months in so far when do we generally see results of oral min?I would have thought around 4 months i should see some gains but unfortunately I'm not, I feels it's way over hyped on here hella overrated and I'm also getting a weird side effect in my left eye like irritation

Last edited:

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Correct I'm around 4.5 months in so far when do we generally see results of oral min?I would have thought around 4 months i should see some gains but unfortunately I'm not, I feels it's way over hyped on here hella overrated and I'm also getting a weird side effect in my left eye like irritation
weird, i thought that if you get unwanted body hair you might get scalp hair result?

Nodonor2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no idea mate so far I feel oral minoxidil is rubbish over hyped sh*t I will continue though the studys all say 4 months you would see gains

Last edited:

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been taking oral minoxidil for a few weeks, there has been some shedding but no improvements and I'm starting to get impatient.