How To Safely Switch From Topical minoxidil To Oral?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on topical min for 5 years, using huge dosage, but my scalp and face can't handle this sh*t anymore. So i had a consultation with sergio vano recommending oral min ( 5 mg), but i would rather take 1.25 mg . Can i swtich cold turkey? the 1.25 mg will be stronger than the topical at huge dosage? thanks

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I have been on topical min for 5 years, using huge dosage, but my scalp and face can't handle this sh*t anymore. So i had a consultation with sergio vano recommending oral min ( 5 mg), but i would rather take 1.25 mg . Can i swtich cold turkey? the 1.25 mg will be stronger than the topical at huge dosage? thanks
I don't see why not. You do realize most people on oral minoxidil seem to complain more about massive shedding than those on topical.

hoko

My Regimen
Reaction score
I take 2.5mg in liquid form. I didn’t experience any shedding, but I didn’t on the topical foam, either. I’d recommend slowly cutting back on the topical minoxidil until at least 2 weeks on oral, just to make sure you don’t get any shedding from the changeover. Have a diuretic on hand. 1.25-2.5 mg is probably too low a dose to induce any significant water retention, but it pays to be cautious.

lawyeah

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see why not. You do realize most people on oral minoxidil seem to complain more about massive shedding than those on topical.
i'm still waiting for the shedding... no regrowth also for me (maybe because of scalp irritation)

doflamingo

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
OYrp4vy
fap6seb.png

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I take 2.5mg in liquid form. I didn’t experience any shedding, but I didn’t on the topical foam, either. I’d recommend slowly cutting back on the topical minoxidil until at least 2 weeks on oral, just to make sure you don’t get any shedding from the changeover. Have a diuretic on hand. 1.25-2.5 mg is probably too low a dose to induce any significant water retention, but it pays to be cautious.

1.25 mg need a diuretic? This side scared me as hell. this past years i have been heavily onto weight lifting, I have a full six packs , but since i am getting older, i find it hard to maintain low bodyfat all year round... maybe my metabolism is slowing don with dutasteride , and i don't want to get water retention or belly fat.

hoko

My Regimen
Reaction score
1.25 mg need a diuretic? This side scared me as hell. this past years i have been heavily onto weight lifting, I have a full six packs , but since i am getting older, i find it hard to maintain low bodyfat all year round... maybe my metabolism is slowing don with dutasteride , and i don't want to get water retention or belly fat.

what I mean is that it’s good to have one on hand, just in case you need it. But, chances are you won’t need one.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How did dutasteride work for you? You have to use minoxidil even with dutasteride?

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any general knowledge you can share on using minoxidil? Ive been on finasteride for a year, it didnt work, so thinking which way to approach minoxidil now, whether oral from the get-go or start with topical. And if topical, then whether foam or liquid.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Any general knowledge you can share on using minoxidil? Ive been on finasteride for a year, it didnt work, so thinking which way to approach minoxidil now, whether oral from the get-go or start with topical. And if topical, then whether foam or liquid.
I would go with topical. The only benefit to the liquid vs foam is that its easy to get into the scalp. However, the foam is cosmetically better and dries fast. If you don't want the hassle of the topical application then oral would be better. Why do you think finasteride did not work? If I were in your shoes I would get a topical that has a combo of minoxidil and finasteride. Finasteride works better with minoxidil than by itself.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would go with topical. The only benefit to the liquid vs foam is that its easy to get into the scalp. However, the foam is cosmetically better and dries fast. If you don't want the hassle of the topical application then oral would be better. Why do you think finasteride did not work? If I were in your shoes I would get a topical that has a combo of minoxidil and finasteride. Finasteride works better with minoxidil than by itself.
To be frank i dont think i can keep up with such ruthless regimen of having to apply it twice daily every single day of my life, specially when winter will come and i will have wet hair and head from min in the morning and i have to rush to work. Plus my skin is easily irritated and i think alcohol minoxidil will destroy my facial skin also, since it will inevitable spill from the hair scalp.

Are sides from oral more prominent? Will my lashes and brows grow long as f***? Have you tried minoxidil yourself?

Well, i took finasteride and im still losing around 200-300 hairs a wash. It's scary as hell.

I went back to dermatologist and made a trichoscopy and compared it with the base line i had when i just started. It didnt change seems like. Which i guess in some way means finasteride is working, but im still losing insane amount of hairs and trichoscopy wasnt mathematical, its not like when they calculate hairs per square cm on your scalp prior to transplant, here she just visually compared the pictures up to her view, which is subjective, so realistically it could be worsening. I saw the pictures too and they looked very identical. Problem also is that my dick became rubbery, erections weakened by 65% and i lost libido, so now im on 2 weeks pause, to see how i feel without fina.

Im not sure what to do tbh. It seems like my solutions are either fina or dota, both are kinda scary.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
To be frank i dont think i can keep up with such ruthless regimen of having to apply it twice daily every single day of my life, specially when winter will come and i will have wet hair and head from min in the morning and i have to rush to work. Plus my skin is easily irritated and i think alcohol minoxidil will destroy my facial skin also, since it will inevitable spill from the hair scalp.

Are sides from oral more prominent? Will my lashes and brows grow long as f***? Have you tried minoxidil yourself?

Well, i took finasteride and im still losing around 200-300 hairs a wash. It's scary as hell.

I went back to dermatologist and made a trichoscopy and compared it with the base line i had when i just started. It didnt change seems like. Which i guess in some way means finasteride is working, but im still losing insane amount of hairs and trichoscopy wasnt mathematical, its not like when they calculate hairs per square cm on your scalp prior to transplant, here she just visually compared the pictures up to her view, which is subjective, so realistically it could be worsening. I saw the pictures too and they looked very identical. Problem also is that my dick became rubbery, erections weakened by 65% and i lost libido, so now im on 2 weeks pause, to see how i feel without fina.

Im not sure what to do tbh. It seems like my solutions are either fina or dota, both are kinda scary.
Sounds like you would be better off using oral minoxidil. Never used it orally. Minoxidil is a growth stimulant and can induce more shedding so people tend to use it with caution. If you remain stable with finasteride, it is working.

Hairguru

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sure Topical is better as that targets the main area? Where as oral would target other hairs right?