How to remove tape having flowed into hair?

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I use 0.03mm poly unit, which I attach using Walker Signature tapes around the whole perimeter. The last time, I didn't have time to do the usual 2 week maintenance because of a trip and let the system sit on my head 3 more days than usual. Unfortunately, even these 3 extra days have caused the tape to seep into the hair system hair around the whole perimeter.
Now, I am unable to get that sticky substance out of the hair system hair. Before attaching the hair system again I have tried:
- spraying isopropyl alcohol and combing with a densely toothed comb and a tooth brush, but I was pulling out too much hair
- applying Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover and Goo Gone and these didn't help either even though they help to clean the poly base quite well
- apply washing-up liquid (Fairy), but the glue turned just white
- washing the system with Prolabs hair system shampoo

after I was done with all these methods I had to attach the system as it was too late and I had to go to work the next day but my hair looks weird and I'm unable to comb it without pulling out more hair out of the system.

What else could I try?

Noah

Reaction score
I can't quite understand how this happened. Poly bases are impermeable, so how did the adhesive get onto the hairs?

Neat acetone would get rid of the glue, but it could also damage your poly base, so I wouldn't recommend that. I would try smearing Autoglym or Swarfega onto the gummed-up areas one by one, and rubbing it in between your thumb and fingers to free up the hairs, washing it out with washing-up liquid, and repeating. I think if you persevere you will eventually get rid of it with these, but it will take a while. Be ready to give your system a LOT of conditioning afterwards. You might want to use rubber gloves for the task.

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, poly bases are impermeable, of course, but this happened the way the tape started to seep through from under the base and into the hair and as I was sleeping I would then push the hair system hair onto the seeped through tape.
Thanks for your advice but don't forget I already have the sytem back on my head. Should I really wash it with washing-up liqued even if I have it already attached?

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I use 0.03mm poly unit, which I attach using Walker Signature tapes around the whole perimeter. The last time, I didn't have time to do the usual 2 week maintenance because of a trip and let the system sit on my head 3 more days than usual. Unfortunately, even these 3 extra days have caused the tape to seep into the hair system hair around the whole perimeter.
Now, I am unable to get that sticky substance out of the hair system hair. Before attaching the hair system again I have tried:
- spraying isopropyl alcohol and combing with a densely toothed comb and a tooth brush, but I was pulling out too much hair
- applying Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover and Goo Gone and these didn't help either even though they help to clean the poly base quite well
- apply washing-up liquid (Fairy), but the glue turned just white
- washing the system with Prolabs hair system shampoo

after I was done with all these methods I had to attach the system as it was too late and I had to go to work the next day but my hair looks weird and I'm unable to comb it without pulling out more hair out of the system.

What else could I try?

Can you get hold of some walkers rapid release? I had glue in the hair and soaked it in this stuff for a few hours and it came right off. My bigger problem was getting it out of the knots. Sounds like you've tried all the usual stuff and if it doesn't work then may need a soak? With the solvents if you can get the residue to soften somewhat you can just spray the hair with a water flosser & that should break up the glue without pulling out the hair.

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
If Walker Rapid Release is the same as MHE Adhesive Remover, then yes, I can. Didn't it remove the hair colour after that soak?

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If Walker Rapid Release is the same as MHE Adhesive Remover, then yes, I can. Didn't it remove the hair colour after that soak?
I'm not sure if it's the same but I'm talking about this stuff: https://walkertapeco.com/product/rapid-release/

My supplier said it's the best for getting glue out of knots and when it goes through the lace etc (I get your system is different but I can only talk about what I know) but he doesn't recommend a soak as it can be quite hard on the system. But if you've tried everything else then might be worth a shot. I did a soak before asking him how to use the rapid release the way he recommends unfortunately. But that's what he uses to get the glue out. The walker tape website and usage instructions specifically say you can soak your system for 15 mins minimum and I haven't noticed any significant discolouration. I have read that washing up liquid can have quite a detrimental effect on hair colour though. Rapid release is very strong stuff and would recommend you use gloves. In the UK there are lots of cheap water flossers you can pick up which are amazing for cleaning. Not sure if it's the same in your part of the world but hope some combination of all that works for you.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't quite understand how this happened. Poly bases are impermeable, so how did the adhesive get onto the hairs?

Neat acetone would get rid of the glue, but it could also damage your poly base, so I wouldn't recommend that. I would try smearing Autoglym or Swarfega onto the gummed-up areas one by one, and rubbing it in between your thumb and fingers to free up the hairs, washing it out with washing-up liquid, and repeating. I think if you persevere you will eventually get rid of it with these, but it will take a while. Be ready to give your system a LOT of conditioning afterwards. You might want to use rubber gloves for the task.
They are not impermeable!

A poly system inserts hair through a premade base. Each hair creates 2 holes during v-loop ventilation, and 1 with injection.

Once all the hair has been inserted into the base, they apply (spread) a thick liquid poly onto the bottom... inorder to seal the hair and holes created by them.

Just like a hole on your belt, they get oblonged and open up, albeit minimally, but more than enough for sweat and broken down adhesive to pass through.

Brushing, washing, removal, and installation all contribute to how much you "stretch the 2 holes" around each hair.

I personally, play a balancing act with this issue. The longer I leave the system on the easier it is to remove the tape from the base. However, if you missed the "opportune time" it will break down too much, and pass through into the hair. This leads to losing hair at a more rapid rate.

Acetone is absolutely the worst thing you could possibly put anywhere near a thin skin poly. I learned this early on. If you saturate a Q tip and touch it to a thin skin base, It will inevitably melt through instantly.

My advice would be isopropyl alcohol, to remove adhesive from the hair. I am not a fan of oil based removers, such as c22, as they will lubricate the V loops and encourage the hair to slide out of the base prematurely.

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score

Acetone is a bad idea (been there, done that).

Autoglym (or C-22) is the best bet.

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's the same but I'm talking about this stuff: https://walkertapeco.com/product/rapid-release/

My supplier said it's the best for getting glue out of knots and when it goes through the lace etc (I get your system is different but I can only talk about what I know) but he doesn't recommend a soak as it can be quite hard on the system. But if you've tried everything else then might be worth a shot. I did a soak before asking him how to use the rapid release the way he recommends unfortunately. But that's what he uses to get the glue out. The walker tape website and usage instructions specifically say you can soak your system for 15 mins minimum and I haven't noticed any significant discolouration. I have read that washing up liquid can have quite a detrimental effect on hair colour though. Rapid release is very strong stuff and would recommend you use gloves. In the UK there are lots of cheap water flossers you can pick up which are amazing for cleaning. Not sure if it's the same in your part of the world but hope some combination of all that works for you.
Thanks. When it comes to the water flossers, have you tried that?

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
They are not impermeable!

A poly system inserts hair through a premade base. Each hair creates 2 holes during v-loop ventilation, and 1 with injection.

Once all the hair has been inserted into the base, they apply (spread) a thick liquid poly onto the bottom... inorder to seal the hair and holes created by them.

Just like a hole on your belt, they get oblonged and open up, albeit minimally, but more than enough for sweat and broken down adhesive to pass through.

Brushing, washing, removal, and installation all contribute to how much you "stretch the 2 holes" around each hair.

I personally, play a balancing act with this issue. The longer I leave the system on the easier it is to remove the tape from the base. However, if you missed the "opportune time" it will break down too much, and pass through into the hair. This leads to losing hair at a more rapid rate.

Acetone is absolutely the worst thing you could possibly put anywhere near a thin skin poly. I learned this early on. If you saturate a Q tip and touch it to a thin skin base, It will inevitably melt through instantly.

My advice would be isopropyl alcohol, to remove adhesive from the hair. I am not a fan of oil based removers, such as c22, as they will lubricate the V loops and encourage the hair to slide out of the base prematurely.
Thanks for a detailed advice. I agree with the oils causing V-loops to loss hair. However, how exactly should I go about removing the glue using only the isopropyl alcohol if I already have tried it and it didn't work?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for a detailed advice. I agree with the oils causing V-loops to loss hair. However, how exactly should I go about removing the glue using only the isopropyl alcohol if I already have tried it and it didn't work?
It has to work. I would saturate a cotton ball and hold it on the area of concern for 5+ seconds then lightly start wiping it out.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. When it comes to the water flossers, have you tried that?
Yes, now I never soak it. Just use alcohol or solvents and work it into the knots purely in the problem areas (the front 1cm). Then just spray it with my water flosser and everything comes out. Have to do it a few times but works a treat, would highly recommend it. The key is just to loosen the glue with something then the pressure of the water just gets rid of the glue. I 'think' soaking can lead to hairs getting pulled through the wrong way on lace units as well so I will only use in emergencies going forward. I'm not sure if the pressured water leads to more shedding, would be interested to know anyone's opinion but I haven't noticed anything excessive. But this seems to the best way to clean the unit for me.

I use something like this:

it's AMAZING for dental hygiene as well. I use it daily. Basically does a mini 'deep clean' every time you use it. The ones that dentists use just have a lot more pressure but this does a good job for daily use.

Last edited:

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
It has to work. I would saturate a cotton ball and hold it on the area of concern for 5+ seconds then lightly start wiping it out.
Ok, thanks, I will try it.
Yes, now I never soak it. Just use alcohol or solvents and work it into the knots purely in the problem areas (the front 1cm). Then just spray it with my water flosser and everything comes out. Have to do it a few times but works a treat, would highly recommend it. The key is just to loosen the glue with something then the pressure of the water just gets rid of the glue. I 'think' soaking can lead to hairs getting pulled through the wrong way on lace units as well so I will only use in emergencies going forward. I'm not sure if the pressured water leads to more shedding, would be interested to know anyone's opinion but I haven't noticed anything excessive. But this seems to the best way to clean the unit for me.

I use something like this:

it's AMAZING for dental hygiene as well. I use it daily. Basically does a mini 'deep clean' every time you use it. The ones that dentists use just have a lot more pressure but this does a good job for daily use.
This idea of water flosser really intrigues me. I may buy it to try.
By the way, isn't it harsh on your gums?

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know for the first time in forever I stretched out my wearing time to 3 weeks but that was too much. The front hairline tends to get very gummy if the if the tape is not changed every three to four days. You can wash and condition all you want while it's on your head but truth be known you need to take it off and clean the system inside out.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, I will try it.

This idea of water flosser really intrigues me. I may buy it to try.
By the way, isn't it harsh on your gums?
I've read it's really good for your gums. You may get a little bleeding initially but that's just sentivity that improves over time and it just strengthens them. Same thing happens when I go for a deep clean to the dentist. It really makes the clean-up process a breeze on my lace unit.

I know for the first time in forever I stretched out my wearing time to 3 weeks but that was too much. The front hairline tends to get very gummy if the if the tape is not changed every three to four days. You can wash and condition all you want while it's on your head but truth be known you need to take it off and clean the system inside out.
I've stretched tape to about two weeks and got a little seepage but was the blue lace front. But I guess the hold time is always down to the weakest link. If you use ultrahold tape on sides and back and something thinner on the front then GB platinum then the ultra hold time matters less than the hold time for the tape on the front and the glue.

Last edited:

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, this is how I finally got rid of the liquefied tape from the hair system hair:
I didn't have time to actually try any of the advice given above, so I just let be and carried on as if it weren't there. After 1 week the time came to wash my hair system, so I applied the Pro Hair Labs Shampoo, let it sit for 15 minutes, then applied Pro Hair Labs Conditioner, let it sit for 30 minutes and rinsed away. I think that after that 1 week the liquefied tape had further disintegrated and washing my hair just helped removed it.