How To Minimise Hair Loss When Removing Tape?

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a good way to minimise hair loss from the system when removing old tape during maintenance?
I’m sure I’ve seen people applying something (possibly lace release) to tape before peeling it off to minimise loss - any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Noah

Reaction score
If it is a lace base, the usual method is to soak the area of the mesh to which the tape is stuck with 99% isopropyl alcohol (applying it on the hair side, so that it runs through to the side of the tape stuck to the hairpiece). Given a few minutes to work, the alcohol will break the adhesive bond, and the tape should come off without resistance.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I soak the tape, on both sides, with 99% alcohol, in a sealed container for 15 minutes. More than 15 minutes makes the adhesive dissolve too much, and get stick in the lace.

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it is a lace base, the usual method is to soak the area of the mesh to which the tape is stuck with 99% isopropyl alcohol (applying it on the hair side, so that it runs through to the side of the tape stuck to the hairpiece). Given a few minutes to work, the alcohol will break the adhesive bond, and the tape should come off without resistance.
I’ve always assumed that isopropyl would damage the hair or the bond, at the very least diminishing the hair colour - is that not the case?

Noah

Reaction score
Well you want it to break the bond - that is the whole point. As for the hair, yes alcohol would dry the hair out, so the aim should be to get the alcohol where it needs to be on the lace while getting the minimum amount on the hair. I find a squeezable bottle with a long narrow nozzle is best for that - like an American mustard or Sriratcha bottle.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Taking tape off of hair is damaging. If you have your tape on top of Poly, you'll be fine. Otherise, except to have damage to your unit.

The people who write above me are in some fantasy world.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The trick is to use enough alcohol and time so the tape stays stuck to your head, and the piece just comes off. It took me several years to realize this.