How to Keep Your Hair After Stopping Propecia?

cc2001

Reaction score
Hi everyone
after 10 yrs on propecia i am stopping, just a little scared of developing sides, i realize i probably wont after 10 + years, but nevertheless i am probably stopping the drug. All of the unsettled arguments it just has gotten to me lately, and i am starting to think about it more than i should. Propecia was good for me, it regrew a substantial bit of hair for me and kept it there for the most part, no sides while on the medicine. I am trying to come to terms with my balding but its very hard for me to start considering life with baldness even at 41 yrs old. I remember the days of obsessing about my receding hair in my late 20s early thirties.

I would like everyones opinion that would about keeping my existing hair or as much as possible, i know noone knows what will happen but i have started the 5% minoxidil and nizoral and aside from this is there anything else i can do without a script? Please let me know what has worked for you. I really appreciate it.

chris

cc2001

Reaction score
well its just a personal decision for me, i dont want to go another 5 yrs and something weird show up, i realize its unlikely, and im not here to bash propecia, its work pretty well for me, i just wanted input on keeping existing hair if it were possible

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
well its just a personal decision for me, i dont want to go another 5 yrs and something weird show up, i realize its unlikely, and im not here to bash propecia, its work pretty well for me, i just wanted input on keeping existing hair if it were possible

some kind of topical DHT blocker I suppose is the next best thing

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped Propecia and switched to Topical Spironolactone + Nizoral Shampoo and have maintained ever since.

Admin

Cob984

Established Member
Reaction score
may i ask where you get spironolactone from and whether RU or spironolactone is a better bet

TheEscapist

Established Member
Reaction score
Admin, how often exactly do you apply topical spironolactone and where? What part of your scalp do you use it on?

Irishjim

Reaction score
Admin, that's big news. Was Propecia effective for you, how long we're you on it and have you maintained all growth and how long have you maintained the growth for?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1) I only apply it to my hairline as this was the only area thinning/ miniaturizing / receding.
2) Yes Propecia was very effective for me, but it took 11 months to start and would not work without Nizoral included.
3) I was on it 3.5 years but that was 7-8 years ago that I quit.
4) I have maintained with minor thinning in the front half inch of my hair line.
5) I have reason to believe that my hormones were altered to the extent that they do not match the hormone situation prior to Propecia. This may be why it stopped progressing.

Admin

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
To the original poster: I would cut down to half the dose of finasteride and try topical spironolactone or another topical anti-androgen.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
after 10 yrs on propecia i am stopping, just a little scared of developing sides, i realize i probably wont after 10 + years, but nevertheless i am probably stopping the drug. All of the unsettled arguments it just has gotten to me lately, and i am starting to think about it more than i should. Propecia was good for me, it regrew a substantial bit of hair for me and kept it there for the most part, no sides while on the medicine. I am trying to come to terms with my balding but its very hard for me to start considering life with baldness even at 41 yrs old. I remember the days of obsessing about my receding hair in my late 20s early thirties.

I would like everyones opinion that would about keeping my existing hair or as much as possible, i know noone knows what will happen but i have started the 5% minoxidil and nizoral and aside from this is there anything else i can do without a script? Please let me know what has worked for you. I really appreciate it.

chris

For Goodness sake... What a lod of bullsh*t I can read on these forums...! You have been keeping hair for 10 years, but you want to quit it because of some imaginary "side effects" propagated by internet hypochondriacs? What "side effects"? You mean keeping your hair, clearing up acne or maintaining your prostate size? These are "side effects" by which you are so scared? DHT is a useless, nasty, vile hormone that has no important function in the male body after the age of 18. What do you lose by suppressing its production?

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
DHT is a useless, nasty, vile hormone that has no important function in the male body after the age of 18. What do you lose by suppressing its production?

I beleive this is debated - some say it has important functions for the brain - and balancing other hormones