How to get toppik adhere better to hair

Mane Man

Reaction score
Just wondering whats the best way to get toppik to adhere to hair. I find somedays it holds well and other times it falls everywhere.

I know it works by having a positive charge which is attracted to hairs negative charge, and thus sticking to it.
I dont use conditioners or volumising shampoo when i use toppik. Apparently they contain a positive charge to make the hair more manageable.

So is there any way of increasing the electric charge in your hair (say blow drying) or increasing the charge of the actual toppik, to keep it where it should be??

LeesHair

Established Member
Reaction score
I do use a condtioner most of the time, and found that stopped Toppik from sticking whern I tried it, however if you don't use anything like that I can't see why you're having the problem.

Could it be that you hair isn't that charged or is charged differently? Try all the things that make you static-y (What's the word for having static charge, anyone?) like shuffling your feet on carpet, putting a jumper on etc. then try.

You could also try Nanogen instead, it's the same thing really but I use it and it sticks to my hair when its conditioned for some reason. So maybe as your hair seems to have the same thing as conditioned hair all the time it might work?

Let me know how your experiments get on.. I'm curious :)

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
Most people say not to buy it, but the 'mist' spray (or whatever) sold by Nanogen I think is perfect, I run my hands through my hair and nothing at all, I've had the pleasure (¬_¬) of other people doing the same and thank god nothing there either. Without it I sometimes have a very faint residue between my fingers maybe. I've definitely NEVER had any left on pillows or the like, which I imagine could be a pain. Some people say use hairspray, but I don't want that horrible sticky feeling it leaves, might be ok for someone with shorter hair who wants to add lift.

I've not noticed any difference with conditioners/shampoos, but I rarely change mine. Nor have I ever had many issues with fibres staying put.

LeesHair

Established Member
Reaction score
It's interesting, I think you're the first person I've ever heard recommending that spray! For me it was OK, but didn't really make that much difference day-to-day. I tend to keep a bottle for hurricane-type emergencies when I'm a bit paranoid that I may be walking around in a little cloud of fibres otherwise!

I find it smells quite strong as well though, or is it just me? No-one else seems to notice but I can definitely smell quite a strong scent from it.

ManeMan did you get anywhere charging yourself up? Or have you had an unfortunate accident with plugging yourself into the mains electric in desperation? :shakehead:

Mane Man

Reaction score
LeesHair said:
It's interesting, I think you're the first person I've ever heard recommending that spray! For me it was OK, but didn't really make that much difference day-to-day. I tend to keep a bottle for hurricane-type emergencies when I'm a bit paranoid that I may be walking around in a little cloud of fibres otherwise!

I find it smells quite strong as well though, or is it just me? No-one else seems to notice but I can definitely smell quite a strong scent from it.

ManeMan did you get anywhere charging yourself up? Or have you had an unfortunate accident with plugging yourself into the mains electric in desperation? :shakehead:

Ha. No, need something stronger, might take up flying kytes in thunderstorms(@

Actually, got some nanogen and nanogen spray. The nanogen seems to be slightly better at sticking to hair than toppik. Am using toppik spray maximiser with it, which works great. Noticed the toppik was getting damp, which probally wasnt helping..
The nanogen spray just seems to be very weak hairspray as far as i can see, will give it another try, but on first impressions seem pretty poor.

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. weak hairspray is a good description, but it works for me in that I don't want the hold that a hair spray gives but it makes a huge difference to the hold of the fibres (compared to using no product). Without it they come off on pillows or whatever, after using them they've not come off after I've been out in gale force storms =] I have quite long hair which is why I don't want 'hairspray hold', maybe on shorter hair thats not an issue. I've used some gel sprays before and I find after a short amount of time thse seem to make the fibres clump up on the scalpe and hair shaft.. not a good look.

LeesHair said:
It's interesting, I think you're the first person I've ever heard recommending that spray!

Me neither, it is not good value for money I suppose, I just need to find a similar product. It smells like hairspray.. not strong though IMO.