How To Get Oral minoxidil From Dermatologist

Paulie777

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello there.

Recently, I asked my GP about oral minoxidil for diffuse thinning. He could see that I done some research, but he said that he couldn't prescribe it to me, but he was willing to refer me to a dermatologist, who might be able to.

So, my question is this: How can I get a dermatologist to prescribe oral minoxidil? Is there any specific research papers I could show them? Are there any GPs I could contact for a referral of sorts?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im from the west midlands. For me i contacted my gp and gave them evidence from nhs documentation. I asked to go on 1.25mg daily, gp excepted and prescribed me 1.25mg daily. Im now on 2.5mg twice a day.
Ask to start low to get your foot in the door then ask to increase further down the line. You could also try babalon app, both gp and babalon are private prescriptions.
Also advise them that the maximum recommended dose is 100mg per day. And you only request 1.25mg daily and you will buy a blood pressure machine to monitor your blood pressure. Type in google "nhs oral minoxidil" should be a pdf to download.

Letsdoit

My Regimen
Reaction score
1 drop of 5% minoxidil solution = 2.5mg oral minoxidil. I had capsules with magnesium I used to drop it in, worked perfectly.

Paulie777

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im from the west midlands. For me i contacted my gp and gave them evidence from nhs documentation. I asked to go on 1.25mg daily, gp excepted and prescribed me 1.25mg daily. Im now on 2.5mg twice a day.
Ask to start low to get your foot in the door then ask to increase further down the line. You could also try babalon app, both gp and babalon are private prescriptions.
Also advise them that the maximum recommended dose is 100mg per day. And you only request 1.25mg daily and you will buy a blood pressure machine to monitor your blood pressure. Type in google "nhs oral minoxidil" should be a pdf to download.

Thanks, Warmer82. Appreciate the advice!

What is babalon app?

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, Warmer82. Appreciate the advice!

What is babalon app?

Babylon app is a private health service over the phone, there is a cost tho either monthly or yearly. Would be in the play store on android phone or os phone.

Oral minoxidil is a off label treatment for hairloss. Doctors can prescribe "off label" treatment. They are governed by the GMC. They can prescribe off label treatment if there is evidence that it works (nhs document) and they will look for safety. So hence 100mg is the recommended maximum daily dose. And you ask for 1.25mg daily for now. And its safety is good for use in hypertension.

Also say to them that topical minoxidil irritates your skin so thats not an option

https://www.gmc-uk.org/ethical-guid...-and-devices/prescribing-unlicensed-medicines

Last edited:

Letsdoit

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have good result with it? Any sides?

It seems oral minoxidil is the most powerful weapon against mbp

Just curious, I can't take minoxidil because if the sides

I only did 1 month, too heavy on the heart.

Last edited:

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there.

Recently, I asked my GP about oral minoxidil for diffuse thinning. He could see that I done some research, but he said that he couldn't prescribe it to me, but he was willing to refer me to a dermatologist, who might be able to.

So, my question is this: How can I get a dermatologist to prescribe oral minoxidil? Is there any specific research papers I could show them? Are there any GPs I could contact for a referral of sorts?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Oral minoxidil is usually only prescribed for worst case scenarios of high blood pressure that does not respond to safe drugs. When it is prescribed, there are other drugs added to help prevent heart damage. In other words, this is a dangerous path. And if you're ingesting a topical solution, then I would advise that you research the other non-drug components that are in it. You could be setting yourself up for kidney and or liver failure.

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral minoxidil is definitely a powerful drug at high doses. For me at 2.5mg in day and 2.5mg at night is definitely tolerable. I had water retention in the first week but the body soon adapts. Ive been on loniten since december and i can say i have NOT progressed any further with hairloss. I think when I started 1.25mg daily it halted my hairloss. Now im on 2.5mg 2x daily its thickening my fine hair and looking more dense.
My conclusion is i have better improvement on 2.5mg twice daily but at 1.25mg it just slowed or even stopped my hairloss, but my hairloss isn't aggressive, so at this dose this may not be a treatment for any one with aggressive hair loss.