How To Get Dermmatch Right? It Just Looks Like Paint

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
I tried some dermmatch and wanted to get it like this.

The problem is that it just looks like paint. It doesn't look like hair, as it does in that video there. I tried it with the applicator dry and I tried it with the applicator wet. Every time it looks like paint. How can this paint stuff ever look like hair? It looks nothing like that on my head...

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
This drives me nuts, but I had the same issue with fiber concealers

oBMwIfg.jpg

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some tips I've found since my hair is similar color:

I use light brown and medium brown. I basically do a few circles in one, a few circles in the other, then apply on scalp. This has helped blend in.
Put some of the dermmatch on your hair thats actually thick (like on the sides or front/mid scalp). This way it doesn't look like it's just on the crown but your whole hair has that kinda color.

I asked my girlfriend about the lighter streaks and she says it just looks like I've been in the sun a lot; I'll take it over thinning hair.

If anyone asks about the color difference, and you're insecure about it and don't want to say the sun, just say you tried dying it and it got a little lighter than expected.

DiffThinner35

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have this little trick I use..

After you apply Dermmatch to your hair, wait a few minutes till it's full dried.

Then use a piece of paper towel (kitchen roll) and slightly brush over your hair a few times till it matches your hair. Works for me every time.. Please report back if it worked for you.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

After you apply Dermmatch to your hair, wait a few minutes till it's full dried.

Then use a piece of paper towel (kitchen roll) and slightly brush over your hair a few times till it matches your hair. Works for me every time.. Please report back if it worked for you.
I'll try this this weekend, thank you.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

This worked a bit. Better than nothing! Thanks for the tip.

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
It's the camera and the effect of direct sunlight. My hair is brown, as is the dermmatch, but light reflects off the product very differently then hair, and makes it very noticeable.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I tried some dermmatch and wanted to get it like this.

The problem is that it just looks like paint. It doesn't look like hair, as it does in that video there. I tried it with the applicator dry and I tried it with the applicator wet. Every time it looks like paint. How can this paint stuff ever look like hair? It looks nothing like that on my head...
It can't look like hair unless you have a fair amount still, The video you show still shows his scalp with a lot of shine to it. But instead of scalp shine it's browner. You have to put fibres on after to get more of a 'hair' look. I'd like to know why the Derm in that video is so dark and thick though. The ones I buy fulfilled by Amazon are very watery and thin and don't go on with that thick colour straight away, it's much more watery looking.

Khanne01

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I was still using Dermmatch, I also found less was more. If I used too much it wasn't as convincing. I'd just wet the applicator, do a few swipes in the dermmatch and then try to apply more to the existing hair rather than all on the scalp.

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you need it? Hair looks OK to me...

I have diffuse thinning, but when using a volumizing shampoo and blown dry it can look very full.

dK7h4zB.png

jTUgIrf.png

I generally just need touch one of two thin spots. Of course, once I do that it I have spots that no longer blend in with the rest of the hair, so I end up with situations as above.

Parity07

My Regimen
Reaction score
Blimey, I wish I had your problems . It looks fine to me mate, but I get each case has its own issues and insecurities.

Have you tried a root concealer spray? They're ever so cheap and a quick blast (if you get a good match) can work wonders. Of course you don't get the fullness of hair fibres, but they're not a bad alternative.

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This drives me nuts, but I had the same issue with fiber concealers

View attachment 102004
I use toppik with the pump applicator. I have a spray water bottle with water that I use when hair is dry. Slightly spray water on thinning areas so the hair and scalp is slightly damp. Then holding toppik pump at like 6 inches from target , pump lightly onto thinning areas. Works wonders. The water once dries helps hold toppik in place. Can also use hairspray instead of water for more hold.

Last edited: