How To Get Combed Back/slicked Back Exposed Hairline Like Curtis Etc Without The Front Lace Lifting?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a question about exposed hairlines. I've noticed that people like Curtis from MHE comb their hair system back to expose the hairline, and it looks great. However I've tried doing that and when I comb the hair back, the lace at the front of the hairline pulls off slightly and the hair doesn't seem to stay back as easily as Curtis's hair does. He actually has his hair shorter than mine too so you'd think it'd be easier for me with longer hair.

His hair just effortlessly seems to flow back and stay there. I wonder what the secret is? Is it just a case of making sure the adhesive is strong enough at the front of the hairline (with more than 2 coats), and then 'training' the hair until it stays back? Perhaps it'd be easier to do with wet hair?

Noah

Reaction score
I don't know how Curtis does it (you could ask him, of course), but clearly the key is getting a hold which is strong enough to take the strain the hair is putting on it. The longer your hair is, the more strain is going on the hairline glue.

In my experience adding more than 2 layers of glue doesn't make much difference to the hold strength. I would try running a line of strong tape about half-an-inch behind your hairline, and then glueing just that last half-inch of lace up to the hairline. The strong tape will take most of the weight, and the glue will only have to bear the weight of the half-inch of hair at the front.

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I did it for nine months, with hair longer than yours.

1. A tiny bit of lace was left at the hairline.
2. I used Ghostbond XL, at first, 4 layers, then switched to GhostbondXL/Ultrahold tape about 1 cm behind the hairline.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know how Curtis does it (you could ask him, of course),

Ok, so I asked him this same question on one of his videos, and here is his reply:

Hey Neil, good points. Its from blow dry training the hair. Its a little bit different when its brand new but after a week or so its good to go. With any bond the shower is one of the toughest spots for it. I suggest to find the perfect bond first and foremost. This is only done by testing a few. Which I know sucks but its the truth. This is because everyones body chem is different. Im super light with my styling products. Like barely any of the product. I also spray my hair daily with leave in conditioner. Hope that helps!

but clearly the key is getting a hold which is strong enough to take the strain the hair is putting on it. The longer your hair is, the more strain is going on the hairline glue.

Those are really good points, thanks.

Noah

Reaction score
Curtis Mitchell is a guy who owns an internet hair system business called My Hair Experience. He also has an active and interesting YouTube site under the same name.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a question about exposed hairlines. I've noticed that people like Curtis from MHE comb their hair system back to expose the hairline, and it looks great. However I've tried doing that and when I comb the hair back, the lace at the front of the hairline pulls off slightly and the hair doesn't seem to stay back as easily as Curtis's hair does. He actually has his hair shorter than mine too so you'd think it'd be easier for me with longer hair.

His hair just effortlessly seems to flow back and stay there. I wonder what the secret is? Is it just a case of making sure the adhesive is strong enough at the front of the hairline (with more than 2 coats), and then 'training' the hair until it stays back? Perhaps it'd be easier to do with wet hair?

I always thought it was a bit odd that Curtis first needs to blow dry his hair backward then add product.

I just wet my hair and put product (gel) in, brushing it back.

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

If I'm not mistaken, Curtis still uses all skin pieces. Skin has more surface area (no holes) so the bond could be stronger.
Lace should be able to make a good hairline bond too. If you hairline is lifting after a fresh bond from just combing back, your bond isn't sufficient. Either that, or you're doing it right after a warm shower.

Ghost Bond recommends 4 very thin layers for the best bond. If you're not using a scalp protector either, you should do that. It is like a anti-perspirant for your head. It blocks sweat from coming up and weakening the bond.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Curtis still uses all skin pieces. Skin has more surface area (no holes) so the bond could be stronger.
Lace should be able to make a good hairline bond too. If you hairline is lifting after a fresh bond from just combing back, your bond isn't sufficient. Either that, or you're doing it right after a warm shower.

Ghost Bond recommends 4 very thin layers for the best bond. If you're not using a scalp protector either, you should do that. It is like a anti-perspirant for your head. It blocks sweat from coming up and weakening the bond.

Good advice, with one exception. A scalp protector is not an antiperspirant. It's a polymer barrier between the adhesive and your scalp. They do make specific antiperspirants such as prohairlabs no sweat and Pro touch by hair direct has one as well......to stop perspiration.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use BOTH the "No Sweat" from ProHair labs, and the Max Hold Sport, from Walker Tape Co.

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good advice, with one exception. A scalp protector is not an antiperspirant. It's a polymer barrier between the adhesive and your scalp. They do make specific antiperspirants such as prohairlabs no sweat and Pro touch by hair direct has one as well......to stop perspiration.

I guess I never bothered to check out the ingredients on my Scalp Protector. If it doesn't have aluminum zirconium in it, that's a good thing.