How to apply Toppik?

user4101

Reaction score
What I'm not sure about is whether Toppik is designed to stick to the individual hairs and add body, or simply sit on the scalp and reduce the contrast between hair and scalp by making the scalp appear darker.

I have diffuse thinning from the crown of my head to the front. I keep my hair short -- around 1.5 to 2 inches on top. My current routine is thus:

1. Towel dry hair after shower
2. Wait a while so my hair is completely dry
3. Apply styling paste
4. Spread my hair away from the thinning area in the middle so the maximum amount of scalp is visible
5. Apply Toppik with the spray applicator, basically just lightly coating the scalp in the thinning area
6. Style hair, parting it on the side and moving it toward the thinning area in the middle, while avoiding touching my scalp
7. Apply hair spray

Is this the right way to do things? I have enough hair that it seems to work well -- you can no longer see my scalp and my real hair on top is what's visible. The only thing I don't like is that if you look at my hairline up close at an upward angle (i.e. from below), you can kind of see the Toppik particles sitting on my scalp through my thin hair.

I've read others' routines and they seem to apply Toppik and attempt to brush it into their hair. Also, some people apply styling paste after applying Toppik. Others style their hair completely, then apply Toppik (which seems like it would sit on top of their hair).

Anyway, am I doing this wrong? Thanks!

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
What I'm not sure about is whether Toppik is designed to stick to the individual hairs and add body, or simply sit on the scalp and reduce the contrast between hair and scalp by making the scalp appear darker.

I have diffuse thinning from the crown of my head to the front. I keep my hair short -- around 1.5 to 2 inches on top. My current routine is thus:

1. Towel dry hair after shower
2. Wait a while so my hair is completely dry
3. Apply styling paste
4. Spread my hair away from the thinning area in the middle so the maximum amount of scalp is visible
5. Apply Toppik with the spray applicator, basically just lightly coating the scalp in the thinning area
6. Style hair, parting it on the side and moving it toward the thinning area in the middle, while avoiding touching my scalp
7. Apply hair spray

Is this the right way to do things? I have enough hair that it seems to work well -- you can no longer see my scalp and my real hair on top is what's visible. The only thing I don't like is that if you look at my hairline up close at an upward angle (i.e. from below), you can kind of see the Toppik particles sitting on my scalp through my thin hair.

I've read others' routines and they seem to apply Toppik and attempt to brush it into their hair. Also, some people apply styling paste after applying Toppik. Others style their hair completely, then apply Toppik (which seems like it would sit on top of their hair).

Anyway, am I doing this wrong? Thanks!
Great post! Toppik and other concealers are not for everyone typically due to hair coverage and density deficits. Years ago when I was in the early throes of my own recession and frontal thinning it served as a helpful illusion for me. As my loss progressed the less amount I could get a way with. When considering using it try also to anticipate the quality of lighting you'll be under. To be honest in any case poor lighting is our friend. Thanks for your insight as well and best wishes.

HardlyHair

Reaction score
I got some recently. Not sure it really matches my hair colour exactly. But it seems to work. I think "less is more" for a more natural look, even if that means the hair still looks thinner. I've had better luck putting the fibers in before I put hair product in (wax or just the "holding spray"). I've gone for runs with it in my hair and it hasn't run when I sweat.

dexta

Reaction score
I've used Toppik in the past and didn't find the fibers to stick well enough to the hair. I’ve found Dushi to be the best on the market. It’s made from Moroccan Gossypium Herbaceum (plants) and Toppik from synthetic keratin. Not rocket science in deciding which one is natural. I've never had to use sprays with Dushi fibers and even went swimming at the beach (although some fibers came off, majority stayed on and didn't leave my hair area empty) It's not a miracle, it’s a cosmetic concealer, it won’t regrow your hair but it does the job of concealing hair loss and does it well.

Sensie

Reaction score
I find Toppik grabs insanely well, I can dunk my head in water and it wont come off or run. I have to scrub with shampoo to get it out and it takes 2 washes most of the time.

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
I've used Toppik in the past and didn't find the fibers to stick well enough to the hair. I’ve found Dushi to be the best on the market. It’s made from Moroccan Gossypium Herbaceum (plants) and Toppik from synthetic keratin. Not rocket science in deciding which one is natural. I've never had to use sprays with Dushi fibers and even went swimming at the beach (although some fibers came off, majority stayed on and didn't leave my hair area empty) It's not a miracle, it’s a cosmetic concealer, it won’t regrow your hair but it does the job of concealing hair loss and does it well.

I don't know of ANY fiber concealer that will hold up in water.

- - - Updated - - -

I find Toppik grabs insanely well, I can dunk my head in water and it wont come off or run. I have to scrub with shampoo to get it out and it takes 2 washes most of the time.

Are you a troll, or are you mocking dextra and his sales pitch for Dushi, or do you attach your Toppik with super glue? ;)

Sensie

Reaction score
Nope, I just pile it on, rake my hair with my fingers, then spray with regular hair spray.

aj218

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've seen it done on youtube a lot. I heard it runs when you sweat though. Is that true?
Nah, that's not really true. Though it may cause you to sweat more, especially if you end up covering the majority of your scalp.