How Short Can You Go With A System?

Boon

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys - just wondering how short can you go with a system without suspicion, lift, exposed base or hairlines and joins?

as I dont want to go from wet shaved to 4 inch messy look in an hour Haha!

has anyone gone for a slightly longer than buzz cut? with a view to changing the system soon down the line to make the growth look natural?

thanks

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
The shortest I have gone at the line is about 1/2" , which is about 12.7mm. And you don't want to cut the entire system that length, I tried it, it looks terrible. The hair does not lay like your own, growing hair.

Boon

My Regimen
Reaction score
The shortest I have gone at the line is about 1/2" , which is about 12.7mm. And you don't want to cut the entire system that length, I tried it, it looks terrible. The hair does not lay like your own, growing hair.
Thanks - so how can I achieve a natural growth rate with a shorter initial system if I can't cut it short? what is the "acceptable" limit for how short to go do you think?

Noah

Reaction score
Yes, if you want to go very short, the system has to be specially ventilated so that the hair hugs the base and your scalp, otherwise it sticks up like bristles.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks - so how can I achieve a natural growth rate with a shorter initial system if I can't cut it short? what is the "acceptable" limit for how short to go do you think?

It's a good question, I will need to check with my factory, and see what they say.

Mindset

My Regimen
Reaction score

This is a full cap system and as you can see it is quite short on the side and in the back. Not sure what length it is though.

Boon

My Regimen
Reaction score

This is a full cap system and as you can see it is quite short on the side and in the back. Not sure what length it is though.
I guess as it is a full cap it takes away a lot of the bio-hair join "visibility risk"...

what do guys do when trying to achieve a gradual growth appearance over time?

Noah

Reaction score
I honestly don't think there is any significant "biohair join visibility risk" if you get a decent system. I also don't think most wearers bother trying to achieve an appearance of gradual growth. Other people are just not sufficiently interested in your hairdo to notice that the length doesn't change over time. If they thought about it at all, they would just assume you get it cut very frequently.

Boon

My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly don't think there is any significant "biohair join visibility risk" if you get a decent system. I also don't think most wearers bother trying to achieve an appearance of gradual growth. Other people are just not sufficiently interested in your hairdo to notice that the length doesn't change over time. If they thought about it at all, they would just assume you get it cut very frequently.
Good to know about the join Noah

As I currently shave with a wet razor every 2 days, so going to a full mop overnight is not good decision. That is the transition I am trying to mentally get over and wondered what options and routes other people take going from zero to hero. The initial "skin head" to "luscious locks" overnight issue

Noah

Reaction score
Sorry, I understand now - you are referring to a process of easing into wearing a system gradually by starting with low density heavily receded unit, and gradually increasing the density and the coverage till you get the look you want, without people noticing that it is a system.

That is doable, but it will be quite a long process for someone who is shaved slick bald - maybe 18 months. I think the initial change would have to come after a period when people are not seeing you every day - a fortnight’s holiday or a period of working from home perhaps. You would use that time to grow out your back and side hair, and then at the end of the period put on the low density system. It would have to be an undercut style with short sides and more on top, but that is still a popular look, and readily believable. Once you have got to that point, you can take time to get as much density on your natural sides and back as you can, before switching to a full cap.

Depending what your situation is, there are advantages in keeping the natural hair on the nape of your neck (below the bony ridge of your skull) and at your sideburns and wearing a three-quarters unit rather than a full cap. These areas of hair are hard to replicate with a hairpiece. We can discuss this more if you are interested.

Obviously all of this depends on your hair loss pattern and degree. If you want more specific advice, PM me a photo or two confidentially. Blank out your facial features if you prefer, but leave your eyebrows on. The basic point, though, is that you can’t go imperceptibly from zero to a full cap - you have to work up to it.

Noah

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Boon - change other things about your appearance too, to try and confuse people when you get the hair. Grow a beard (or shave it off if you have one), get some glasses, put on some new clothes etc.

Boon

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice tip man thanks - however I already do shave and grow my beard, goatee etc then shave it off and change things frequent anyway

I wear glasses on and off - but I see what you mean .

I am self employed and work from home so its friends and family only really that is my concern

spoke to my partner last night about it and she just said "yes do it why not!" that was a relief!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
This short...
778B9D0D-4F23-4DAF-88F8-FDFBD8D5546D.jpeg

Boon

My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks for that man! do you know anymore about this system? using fibres too?

doesnt look too bad !

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hey BB that is interesting. His hair can't be more than 0.5inch all over. I've always wondered how such a short system works, mainly what kind of base is it, and how does the very short hair cover the edge of the system all the way around.

Can you imagine how easy it must be to maintain that short hair!

My hair system is about 1.5inches to 2 inches all over. I find that I have to be careful that the perimeter of the base doesn't show when I style my hair. It's UTS.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey BB that is interesting. His hair can't be more than 0.5inch all over. I've always wondered how such a short system works, mainly what kind of base is it, and how does the very short hair cover the edge of the system all the way around.

Can you imagine how easy it must be to maintain that short hair!

My hair system is about 1.5inches to 2 inches all over. I find that I have to be careful that the perimeter of the base doesn't show when I style my hair. It's UTS.

Knowing the Salon that does this, and seeing MANY of their attachments on YouTube, and Inst. I am going to guess it's French Lace.