How often do you take your hair system off?

Technologic0280

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice, do you guys glue the lace front? It seems like that's the only part that might be some hassle at least when it comes to cleaning. Also saying this as someone who's learned about hair systems for a year or so but haven't started wearing yet.

Sounds pretty nice to take a hair system on and off like contacts in the morning and at night, I'm guessing in an extreme case like wanting to swim with it on is when you would need an ultra hold

I exclusively use Walker tapes. No glue. Nothing ever touches the lace, I have poly around the entire perimeter of the system, and the tapes go onto that.

I have a pool, a hot tub, and a boat; In the pool & hot tub - if its just me and my spouse, I remove the system and wear a baseball cap. If Im out on the boat, and in that case - we are never alone - I wear the system but try not to go under water. Although we are in clean clear freshwater, I still dont want it smelling like a swamp the next day.

I have swam in our pool with it, and the walker tapes once, and it held fine, didnt affect the tape suprisingly!

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I exclusively use Walker tapes. No glue. Nothing ever touches the lace, I have poly around the entire perimeter of the system, and the tapes go onto that.

I have a pool, a hot tub, and a boat; In the pool & hot tub - if its just me and my spouse, I remove the system and wear a baseball cap. If Im out on the boat, and in that case - we are never alone - I wear the system but try not to go under water. Although we are in clean clear freshwater, I still dont want it smelling like a swamp the next day.

I have swam in our pool with it, and the walker tapes once, and it held fine, didnt affect the tape suprisingly!
Awesome, maybe not an exposed hairline then? I don't have a big thing for needing to expose my hairline so that's good, although glued lace front does seem to look good.

I don't have a private pool to experiment in so sounds great if the tapes hold up for a swim lol, or maybe even beaching at the beach and a wave hits it. Although I haven't been swimming in a long time.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Every.Single.Night.
I tried sleeping with it on, even with silk pillowcases, I woke up with severe bedhead... not wanting to damage or wear it out prematurely, I just started taking it off every night. It feels SO good to let my scalp breathe, wash my scalp before bed, and put new adhesive on, so Im not worried about it coming loose the next day.

Disclaimer: I have a poly perimeter, lace base and use walker tapes ONLY, and only on the perimeter. My last system lasted 15 months, and still is wearable, although its getting thin in spots.
I used do the same when I started & was using tape. It's my favorite method too.

I would just use regular (long lasting) tape & remove the piece at night. Of course, this method is best if you have a thick poly surround.

In the mornings, I'd just spray the tape w alcohol & re-attach.

aqeel6600

My Regimen
Reaction score
7-10 days, usually need a touch up at the front with a weak glue
I use a fully skin base with tape on the perimeter and a line of tape in the center

ChickenStranger

My Regimen
Reaction score

What tape are you using for daily wear? Would it work with lace?
The daily wear tapes I tried won't stick to lace.

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What tape are you using for daily wear? Would it work with lace?
The daily wear tapes I tried won't stick to lace.

I wouldn´t go out with daily wear tapes. Off course I never tried them, but I tried some tapes which they tell they hold for a week. The bonding was so weak, if you brush your hair on day 2 you get the whole system off your head.

ChickenStranger

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn´t go out with daily wear tapes. Off course I never tried them, but I tried some tapes which they tell they hold for a week. The bonding was so weak, if you brush your hair on day 2 you get the whole system off your head.
Have you tried Walker Sensi Tak for daily wear? Says 1-2 week hold. So not the 1-7 day daily wear tape such as Walker 1522 that is incredibly weak. And that was with my previous hybrid base that wore out.
If so, you saved me money and I wont bother buying another hybrid hair system for daily wear.

And will just try Got2b glued for daily wear with my full French lace base.

Also I found out about Walker Tape base tape. If that can be used with a stronger tape to make cleanup easier with much less residue. That's another option I can try.
Also Walker Duo-Tac tape I found out about too. IF that is easy to clean up.

Last edited:

ChickenStranger

My Regimen
Reaction score
Daily wear tapes are junk, don't hold a thing.
True. If you mean like shite such as Walker 1522 tape?

Walker Sensi Tak/Sensi Tak Select is a 1-2 week extended wear tape which could work for me,not the weak 1-7 day daily wear tapes.
However only for poly bases/hybrid as it shines.

Walker Duo Tac tape looks promising though. Says easy clean up. 1 side like Lace Front,1 side like Sensi Tak.

That and Walker Lace Front with Walker Tape Base Tape if it gives easier cleanup.

Last but least I'll try Got2b glued with my full French lace base.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Every.Single.Night.
I tried sleeping with it on, even with silk pillowcases, I woke up with severe bedhead... not wanting to damage or wear it out prematurely, I just started taking it off every night. It feels SO good to let my scalp breathe, wash my scalp before bed, and put new adhesive on, so Im not worried about it coming loose the next day.

Disclaimer: I have a poly perimeter, lace base and use walker tapes ONLY, and only on the perimeter. My last system lasted 15 months, and still is wearable, although its getting thin in spots.
Have you ever tried sleeping with a shower cap on? Sounds crazy but it totally stopped my bed head. It's better than my silk sleeping hat for sure.

ChickenStranger

My Regimen
Reaction score
Every.Single.Night.

15 months is amazing for a hair system to last. Where you get that one from?

I only heard of mono with a thick poly perimeter lasting THAT long.

Currently my full French lace base hair system has lasted 8 months so far.

However the lace is fraying around the edge by 8 months and a bit of shedding too. No noticeable thin spots yet.

It was bought in Nov 2021.
SuperHairPieces M105,full French lace,Indian remy hair,medium light density.
But for a stock piece which cost £180 at the time,it's well worth it.

I'll wear it till it looks like the hair system is balding. lol
As I currently don't have a job,so it's more difficult to afford hair systems.

I don't wear all the time as I've had a huge problem with tapes and glues itching(with a scalp protector) after 3-4 days. And chronic migraines.

Last edited:

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Remember, the more often you take a system off your scalp, especially thin skin, the less it will last. You will just break the base apart, that is what it is. I think if you have a thin skin system 0,04 or whatever you CAN put it on / off maybe 10 - 20 times. You will have shedding, but thats not the problem. Just the base is the problem, and these systems are not designed for putting on / off.
So if you´re are a daily wearer, don´t go with thin skin systems, try something else.

Daffie57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Every.Single.Night.

Just wondering. What do you use to take off your hair system. Alcohol, C22? If you take it off every night, do you not have to wash the system every night? For example, I use all tape around the perimeter of my system and use alcohol to take off the system, but always wash my hair system as I am afraid the alcohol would dry out the hair. Taking it off every night I would have to wash the system as well. Is that what you do?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wish I could use tape and take my piece off at the night the way I used to, for every reason imaginable.

It is such a chore to keep the sh*t on your head for a week+ & then have to clean it, and redo.

The bed head, despite satin head wraps, etc., are just a nuissance.

I really like UTS for its ease of use w white glue & extremely realistic hairline - I used think .06mm was sufficient but the difference is astounnoding - but it's such a b**ch to deal w/, easy to tear & not breathable.