How much of an impact is modern diets/lifestyles on hair loss for men in their early 20s?

Te1963

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have read about exactly the same issues with alopecia occurring a thousand years ago in Europe. Of course, grains like wheat were staples of the diet at that time and the gluten was helping to induce the baldness. I have wondered whether there was baldness prior to agricultural cultivation of grain crops. They were eating nightshade vegetables and fruits but I'm unsure whether they have the same virulence against hair growth which gluten does. There were also likely to have been many more cases of malnutrition induced hair loss back then so it's likely that there may have been a bit of a transitional period between hair loss induced by malnutrition and allergy as the dominant cause of the condition.

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just watch some historic paintings of XV century, pretty much everyone was bald. If anything I would say our current society is less bald because people is more self-aware and trying to fix it since its considered ugly by today standards.

In ancient Rome baldness was actually considered a good quality and associated with wise men lol

"A signifier of wisdom, gravitas (dignity), and severitas (sternness), male pattern baldness was considered an ideal characteristic of an upstanding Roman citizen, and was used to convey venerability on portraits of philosophers."

Uh, wasn't it Julius Caeser who was obsessed about hiding his bald head? Not so sure about Ancient Rome.....

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn weirdo ancestors. Had they considered balding as a bad trait, hair loss genes wouldn’t be this commonly and widely inherited nowadays
Sure it would.....a lot more "pregnancy by rape" then like in the animal kingdom......

mald

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn weirdo ancestors. Had they considered balding as a bad trait, hair loss genes wouldn’t be this commonly and widely inherited nowadays
people used to reproduce earlier