How Much Are You Spending Per Year For Your Hair?

yung recession

My Regimen
Reaction score
As the title says, how much per year are you guys spending on hair systems? And where did you go to get yours? Looking for advice.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As the title says, how much per year are you guys spending on hair systems? And where did you go to get yours? Looking for advice.

I spend between $400-$500 USD per year This is my old posted from few months ago.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...h-would-this-cost-yearly.123503/#post-1810791

I buy per cut hair systems and don't go to salon. One system can lasts me for 5 to 6 months Probably an average of $500 usd or less per year for me. The cost of hair system is cheaper than when I used to have my bio hair and more easy to maintain.

2 per cut systems around $360
2 Got2B (each lasts 6 months) $10
Isopropyl alcohol 3-4 bottles $10
Leave in conditioner 3 bottles $45
Misc (Shampoo, stronger glues) $50

Noah

Reaction score
I reckon about US$800 (= £620) a year. That is about 2.5 systems a year, but with a remote cut-in.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I spend around £1500 a year I reckon. That's for 2 systems including salon fitting and cut-in, a couple of refits at the salon a year (I do maintenance at home normally) and various products.

I did try a remote cut-in with an online supplier but it was horrible, so I've never trusted it again. I can't imagine how a remote stylist would know what looks good on a person's specific face and head shape.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
600 on systems: 3 per year. Some coins on the glue as well: 50 maybe? 20 on conditioner? 20 on adhesive remover?

700 I guess.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I feel like I'm spending too much then! About $1,200 on systems.... $500 on all hair cuts (cut ins and in-between trims). $350 on shampoo, conditioner, leave in's, scalp treatment/prep, scalp protectors, adhesive removers, and styling products. * I do use mainly Redken which adds up quickly.
About $100 for tapes and adhesives.... So a tad over $2k a year for me.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I feel like I'm spending too much then! About $1,200 on systems.... $500 on all hair cuts (cut ins and in-between trims). $350 on shampoo, conditioner, leave in's, scalp treatment/prep, scalp protectors, adhesive removers, and styling products. * I do use mainly Redken which adds up quickly.
About $100 for tapes and adhesives.... So a tad over $2k a year for me.

How do you find doing your own servicing in between visits to the salon? I have watched several videos and getting it done correctly at the back looks complicated, plus I am sorely lacking in dexterity. It has me a bit nervous, not sure if I'll be able to DIY competently.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you find doing your own servicing in between visits to the salon? I have watched several videos and getting it done correctly at the back looks complicated, plus I am sorely lacking in dexterity. It has me a bit nervous, not sure if I'll be able to DIY competently.

I do everything myself, the only time I go in is for haircuts. It's not a problem at all, you'll get into a rhythm. It is very helpful that I have a mirrored medicine cabinet to the left (on side wall) of a large mirror that's in front of me... I open the door to the medicine cabinet to the perfect position and can totally see everything including behind my head since they reflect off each other.... making it very easy.

The most timely and irritating thing is removing all of the tape and adhesive from the base. I wear a thin skin and have oily skin... so after a week it's pure goo, which makes it fairly easy to peel the tape off...but a nuisance to remove the leftover adhesive goo.. I typically peel the tape off with tweezers and then blot any remaining goo with cotton balls.... then roll the gooey cotton off.. Always roll the adhesive away from the hairline... not toward it.. you do not want to get adhesive into the hairline... that will cause you to lose hair. Lastly clean the base with alcohol and apply tape.

I Mark the edge of my hairline so I know how far forward to place it. I then peel back a couple inches of the tape at the temporal area...and attach... I then peel the rest of the perimeter tape backing off... except for the u-shape at the far back. I then carefully roll it back and if by chance it's a tad too short when I approach the far back... I remove the tape backing at the rear and I can stretch the poly a little bit to get it 100% perfect before I press it down.

I then flip up the front applying a coat of adhesive to the base and my scalp wait 3 minutes and press down. The actual install, once it's clean and taped, is under 5 minutes.. and that's including the 3-minute drying time

One thing that makes the attachment at the hairline much easier is.... before you remove the system slick your hair back with little gel or water and dry it so it stays... This way when you're gluing the hairline..... you won't have hair getting in the adhesive or obstructing your view.

Last edited:

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do everything myself, the only time I go in is for haircuts. It's not a problem at all, you'll get into a rhythm. It is very helpful that I have a mirrored medicine cabinet to the left (on side wall) of a large mirror that's in front of me... I open the door to the medicine cabinet to the perfect position and can totally see everything including behind my head since they reflect off each other.... making it very easy.

The most timely and irritating thing is removing all of the tape and adhesive from the base. I wear a thin skin and have oily skin... so after a week it's pure goo, which makes it fairly easy to peel the tape off...but a nuisance to remove the leftover adhesive goo.. I typically peel the tape off with tweezers and then blot any remaining goo with cotton balls.... then roll the gooey cotton off.. Always roll the adhesive away from the hairline... not toward it.. you do not want to get adhesive into the hairline... that will cause you to lose hair. Lastly clean the base with alcohol and apply tape.

I Mark the edge of my hairline so I know how far forward to place it. I then peel back a couple inches of the tape at the temporal area...and attach... I then peel the rest of the perimeter tape backing off... except for the u-shape at the far back. I then carefully roll it back and if by chance it's a tad too Short when I approach the far back... I remove the tape backing at the rear and I can stretch the poly a little bit to get it 100% perfect before I press it down..

I then flip up the front applying coat of adhesive to the base and my scalp wait 3 minutes and press down. The actual install once it's clean and taped is under 5 minutes.. and that's including the 3-minute drying time

Thanks for the tips. I can appreciate the mirror arrangement will be important, frees up both hands. Time for me to go shopping.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I can appreciate the mirror arrangement will be important, frees up both hands. Time for me to go shopping.
No problem. I just edited the reply as I thought of a few more things after posting it.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No problem. I just edited the reply as I thought of a few more things after posting it.

Thanks again. I know I'll be nervous as hell at first but hopefully it will become a breeze after the first few attachments.
I followed the discussion about tapes on the other thread. Are you going to stick with tape for the perimeter or are you planning to switch to liquid adhesive all the way around eventually?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks again. I know I'll be nervous as hell at first but hopefully it will become a breeze after the first few attachments.
I followed the discussion about tapes on the other thread. Are you going to stick with tape for the perimeter or are you planning to switch to liquid adhesive all the way around eventually?

Probably stick with taped perimeter, and glue hairline. Tape lasts longer.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Probably stick with taped perimeter, and glue hairline. Tape lasts longer.

That's surprising, I had no idea tape lasted longer. Which tape do you use? Do you remove the system to clean it, or can you shampoo and condition while its attached?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's surprising, I had no idea tape lasted longer. Which tape do you use? Do you remove the system to clean it, or can you shampoo and condition while its attached?

I use walker tape ultra hold 3/4 inch. Super tape is comparable. I get anywhere from 7 to 10 days with tape, glue is usually 3 days (hairline). There are many people on this board they get two- plus solid weeks with tape.
I shampoo about once every 7 to 10 days ... it's only needed when styling products build up too much... I condition, when in the shower daily ..... I also use a leave in conditioner one to two times per day.

Actually, I never shampoo or condition it when it's off....Not intentionally (regarding shampoo), it just never seems to align with when it needs to be removed and reinstalled.... I don't think it's a good idea to condition when it's off, because you risk getting conditioner residue on the base which could interfere with next bond.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use walker tape ultra hold 3/4 inch. Super tape is comparable. I get anywhere from 7 to 10 days with tape, glue is usually 3 days (hairline). There are many people on this board they get two- plus solid weeks with tape.
I shampoo about once every 7 to 10 days ... it's only needed when styling products build up too much... I condition, when in the shower daily ..... I also use a leave in conditioner one to two times per day.

Actually, I never shampoo or condition it when it's off....Not intentionally (regarding shampoo), it just never seems to align with when it needs to be removed and reinstalled.... I don't think it's a good idea to condition when it's off, because you risk getting conditioner residue on the base which could interfere with next bond.

Just need to make one comment. Getting conditioner on the base is not a good idea because it can loosen the knots, it has not effect on the bond, since you rinse it out (at least you are supposed to).

Fanjeera

Reaction score
One thing that makes the attachment at the hairline much easier is.... before you remove the system slick your hair back with little gel or water and dry it so it stays... This way when you're gluing the hairline..... you won't have hair getting in the adhesive or obstructing your view.
You've got only one system? The same you remove you also apply right after?

How does slicking the hair back before removing help your attachment? You're supposed to wash the hair system inbetween.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
You've got only one system? The same you remove you also apply right after?

How does slicking the hair back before removing help your attachment? You're supposed to wash the hair system inbetween.
Yes, I use one system at a time. I shampoo in the shower. After I remove old adhesive for a redo, I clean the base multiple times with alcohol therefore it's 100% clean. Slicking it back lets me see
and align the hairline perfectly. Before doing that hairs would flop forward obstructing my view. Many times it would not go on evenly... one side would be a little higher than the other... or not centered perfectly.

I usually have just shampoo'd a few days before I do a reattachment... or...if not sometimes I do it right before I detach, as step 1. I typically shampoo every 7 to 10 (depending on product build-up) days and reattach every 7-10 days (oily skin)as well,... I condition in the shower daily.... So it's clean. All that needs to be cleaned when I remove is the poly base....Which I do with alcohol.

I find washing and conditioning while on to be easier and more thourough/effective.... I'm able to apply conditioner or shampoo.... and use a wide-tooth comb gently going each direction multiple times, to thoroughly spread the product... this also helps avoid letting soapy water or diluted conditioner seep into the little holes of the poly that the hair comes through... This can easily happen when the entire system is submerged in water/ soap.

I had that happen early on and it will lubricate the hair "V" allowing it to slide out of the base/shed much easier ..

In the year I've been wearing I've been able to go from 2 months to 6 on a .03 poly system.... 98% still looks almost perfect after 6 months... it's just that the graduated hairline has started to thin a bit much for my liking....So I replace it.

Last edited: