How Many Fue Hair Grafts Do I Need Guys?

Alonso

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, i was hoping you could give me a rough estimate on how many FUE grafts i would need to fill this gap in my hairline on both sides (picture attached)... i have a consultation next week but wanted your guys opinion first beforehand just in case...

Also, how much (on average) is the price per graft...?

My hairline has always been like this so no chance of medication growing back what was never there...

I very much appreciate your help.

Many thanks,
Alonso

Attachments

• E6BB4B49-9CBD-49EE-AA8D-322A832CAE9C.jpeg
    E6BB4B49-9CBD-49EE-AA8D-322A832CAE9C.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 1,714

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hey guys, i was hoping you could give me a rough estimate on how many FUE grafts i would need to fill this gap in my hairline on both sides (picture attached)... i have a consultation next week but wanted your guys opinion first beforehand just in case...

Also, how much (on average) is the price per graft...?

My hairline has always been like this so no chance of medication growing back what was never there...

I very much appreciate your help.

Many thanks,
Alonso
How old are you? Do you take finasteride? You have minor hair loss. You would need about 1500 grafts at the most. You have a great head shape and your current style looks great. I understand you seeking perfection in your hairline but most people will think you should wait until you are at least approaching a NW3.

Alonso

My Regimen
Reaction score
How old are you? Do you take finasteride? You have minor hair loss. You would need about 1500 grafts at the most. You have a great head shape and your current style looks great. I understand you seeking perfection in your hairline but most people will think you should wait until you are at least approaching a NW3.

Hey DoctorHouse, many thanks for the kind words... really appreciate it.
I’m 27 and no i do not take Finasteride.
As far as i can see, based on old pictures my hairline has minimally receded from the point it was at when i was 18. It has since stabilised thankfully. I’ve always had a high hairline and i’ve always disliked it. My reasoning for wanting this procedure is for cosmetic purposes only, not so much to fix a problem, but more to make me feel and look better. I appreciate that isn’t the best of reasons and some may dislike that, however i’ve hated my hairline for a very long time and now with FUE technology i feel it’s a viable option.
There is obviously a chance i will continue to recede as the years go on, however i’d rather not wait until i’m an MW3 to do something about it.. this would then cost me double/triple the price to bring it back to the level i’d want it at, and at that point it would make much more financial sense to simply shave it and brave it.

At the moment, if i tackle this now, not only will it be cheaper on the wallet, it would allow me to fully enjoy my little time left as a young adult and not have to worry about hiding it with a fringe or people seeing it when i swim. I fully understand it’s not the worst case of recession ever, but its a big deal to me.

Hope you understand my reasoning :)

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with drhouse I would not go for a hair transplant.to me it looks like this is your mature hairline. but IF male pattern baldness hits you hard in coming years ( even months who knows..) you may regret a hair transplant with such new hairline and because a hair transplant would require extreme density to make it look natural as you don't have hairloss right now. So you can easily imagine what's gonna happen if you hairline starts receiding behind your hair tranplant. It's easier to make hair transplant for more advanced norwood.
but it's a hard choice to make

wc5269

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is obviously a chance i will continue to recede as the years go on, however i’d rather not wait until i’m an MW3 to do something about it.. this would then cost me double/triple the price to bring it back to the level i’d want it at, and at that point it would make much more financial sense to simply shave it and brave it.

At the moment, if i tackle this now, not only will it be cheaper on the wallet, it would allow me to fully enjoy my little time left as a young adult and not have to worry about hiding it with a fringe or people seeing it when i swim. I fully understand it’s not the worst case of recession ever, but its a big deal to me.

Hope you understand my reasoning :)

From my understanding, if you get that filled in and continue to recede, you'll eventually need another procedure anyway. The financial angle you're trying to take doesn't make sense in that case.

Eazy12

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the same dressing gown, ASDA special.
You dont need a transplant, and it would be pointless if you dont use finasteride.
Monitor with pics once a month over the next 6 months, if it gets worse start the big 3.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree. Nobody likes hearing "you don't need a transplant" but in your case I think it's a bad risk.

Many transplants leave people unsatisfied (even sometimes from the good clinics) and at best it still won't quite match your existing hair for density and appearance in general. The grafts just cannot be stacked close enough together and the implanting process causes scarring that affects the skin's appearance. These issues are considered acceptable compromises for guys who already have visible hair loss. Their transplanted hair does not have to line up next to real natural full coverage. But your hair looks pretty darn solid other than the receded hairline shape.

The skin in the transplanted area will be pink looking for about 6-12 months after the surgery. Once that fades, it will remain looking a little more pale than the surrounding skin permanently. That will show if there is any amount of sun tanning on your forehead.

Then there is the hairline issue. It's the most difficult area to re-create and the one that everybody sees most. It consumes a disproportionate amount of grafts (and money, and scarring) for the area it is.

Reactions: br1

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been viewing, reading, and helping people on this topic for 12 years. In your case, I can tell you with confidence that getting an FUE procedure will be a mistake. Main reasons being:
1. It never looks perfectly natural. And there will always be some type of visible scar. If you're self conscious about your nearly perfect hairline now, you will feel even worse after you get the procedure.
2. The line you drew just doesn't have a good look. You have a nice head / hair line now that guys would kill for. Nothing beats a natural hair line, even if it is slightly receding. 2/3 men start to lose their hair to some level in their 20s. Starting to lose IS the norm.
3. You will have to do it again if you only get 1000-1500 grafts, and it's not fun. You would be better off waiting to see what your hair does over the next 5-10 years and doing more grafts all at once. I went through the same thing, and I'm glad I didn't go FUE, because it went a totally different route than expected.
4. Try oral/topicals first. I have been maintaining for 10 years just with topicals.
Best of luck!

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been viewing, reading, and helping people on this topic for 12 years. In your case, I can tell you with confidence that getting an FUE procedure will be a mistake. Main reasons being:
1. It never looks perfectly natural. And there will always be some type of visible scar. If you're self conscious about your nearly perfect hairline now, you will feel even worse after you get the procedure.
2. The line you drew just doesn't have a good look. You have a nice head / hair line now that guys would kill for. Nothing beats a natural hair line, even if it is slightly receding. 2/3 men start to lose their hair to some level in their 20s. Starting to lose IS the norm.
3. You will have to do it again if you only get 1000-1500 grafts, and it's not fun. You would be better off waiting to see what your hair does over the next 5-10 years and doing more grafts all at once. I went through the same thing, and I'm glad I didn't go FUE, because it went a totally different route than expected.
4. Try oral/topicals first. I have been maintaining for 10 years just with topicals.
Best of luck!

yo dude wassup

long time no see

what topicals you using these days?

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
sup! Just using essengen6, nizoral, tricomin, and revita. essengen6 is topical minoxidil/finasteride and its the bomb dot com.
hmm you d recommend essengen eh ? did you take oral finasteride ? any comparison ?

Toby0823

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don’t be stupid op, don’t get hair transplant. That’s for us balding suckers. Enjoy your full head of hair. Don’t f*** up your scalp

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
no more revivogen or topical spironolactone?
Revivogen was the reason I was itching, so I stopped. Nice not having an itchy scalp all the time! I have a whole thread about S5, but basically topical finasteride is superior in reducing scalp DHT, and I got some regrowth from it.

hmm you d recommend essengen eh ? did you take oral finasteride ? any comparison ?
Absolutely, it worked for me. I did take oral finasteride, but got awful sides. The topicals are helping me maintain now years later. I stopped oral finasteride in 2009.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Revivogen was the reason I was itching, so I stopped. Nice not having an itchy scalp all the time! I have a whole thread about S5, but basically topical finasteride is superior in reducing scalp DHT, and I got some regrowth from it.

any sides from the topical finasteride?

i thought the general consensus with this stuff was that even if applied topically it will go systemic and cause sides

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea i wanted to ask about sides basically , you re applying 0.5 mg daily right ?

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
any sides from the topical finasteride?
i thought the general consensus with this stuff was that even if applied topically it will go systemic and cause sides
No. Chances for side effects from topical finasteride are much much lower:
https://donovanmedical.com/hair-blog/topical-finasteride

Yea i wanted to ask about sides basically , you re applying 0.5 mg daily right ?
Its 0.05% finasteride, but I'm not sure what that equals in mg.

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Absolutely, it worked for me. I did take oral finasteride, but got awful sides. The topicals are helping me maintain now years later. I stopped oral finasteride in 2009.
Hi Inland,

I'm planning on going back on finasteride soon. The tablets are the cheapest option and combined with kirkland it's a very affordable solution. However, in the near future I will be starting a family (hopefully) and don't want to be on finasteride tablets for obvious reasons. Am considering options. The Essengen seems like a good one. You've obviously had good results from it? Any drawbacks? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks.