how long to see results from spironolactone (oral)

jlb1177

Reaction score
I have been on spironolactone now for about a month (100mg) i recently just increased it to 150mg a day. I am very aware of all the possible side effects and considered them fully before my decision. I currently have 0 sides and feel exactly the same. Im a weight lifter and have noticed no decrease in strength at all, no gyno, nothing. It might be that my 100mg dose just isn't enough but im not willing to go much higher then 150mg. Any opinions on whether or not a doseage of 150mg will see any regrowth or thickening. Also does anyone one how long I should run this before giving up ( dont want to take it any longer if im not a good responder).

Forgot to mention im on Dutasteride for 15 months and minoxidil foam for a looong while.

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Um, as for hair?...I'm not sure....But breast, yeah, they might kick in soon.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
A weightlifter taking spironolactone? lol

jlb1177

Reaction score
All good still. No tits. Still strong as ****. But I do love the redundancy of the posters who can't help but comment about gyno. As I said I'm very cognizant of it.

Fall

Reaction score
Oral spironolactone is probably for good Akne. For hair loss there may be better treatments. How often are these man boobs everyone is talking about? Seems like it does wonders with that.

jlb1177

Reaction score
I eat nearly 0 potassium in my diet along with No sugar , gluten, wheat or carbs besides occasional inadvertent consumption. So I would assume my levels arnt elevated as i have no symptoms. But you are right and I will have tests done at my next well visit. I appreciate the response.

jlb1177

Reaction score
basically consists of fish, beef, poultry, eggs, cheese and veggies. I haven't broke down my macros per day in a while but its pretty self explanatory. low carb, high fat - protein. usually around 2500-3000 calories per day. Although that varies depending on my fitness goals so its hard to say what an average would be. I do understand there is potassium in meats albeit very little. I would say i get about 30% of my daily potassium from foods at the moment ( because of spironolactone intake).

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you see recedingyts thread? He(now she,after spironolactone use) said that she did work out also and the physique went to hell after 5 or so months if I reccolect it correctly and the boobs started to grow also.

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
At 150-200mg of spironolactone per day, there's no way in hell you can build muscle like a male...no way

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
You are going to regret this decision very soon. Get ready to shell out like 5k to get your tits cut out.

jlb1177

Reaction score
Receding I believe takes more than just spironolactone and at a higher dosage. spironolactone alone at a low dosage won't feminized most males. Also I have very high test naturally. Some docs prescribe spironolactone at 100mg for certain ailments for men.

julien1200

Established Member
Reaction score
Receding I believe takes more than just spironolactone and at a higher dosage. spironolactone alone at a low dosage won't feminized most males. Also I have very high test naturally. Some docs prescribe spironolactone at 100mg for certain ailments for men.

HI JLB117,

How are you doing on your regimen ?
Results / Sides ?

And where do you get your spironolactone please ?

Best

Best

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in since my name came up. Yes spironolactone is considered a weak antiandrogen and typically most trans women take 200mg + 4-8mg estradiol in order to get their hormone levels into acceptable levels. So yeah, with 100-150mg of spironolactone and no estradiol you will most likely not be anywhere near the level to achieve full feminization. Especially if your testosterone was high before. But there is still the possibility of partial feminization (gyno, softer skin, issues with fertility, etc.) and sexual side effects.

It could, and I would argue it most likely will, effect your performance in the gym. I used to do bodybuilding prior to transition and it would pretty much be literally impossible for me now that I'm on HRT. I could still make gains but not even close to what I was doing. For me, my muscle started MELTING off at around 5-6 months. And by that point I wasn't even on my full dosage or in the proper female ranges.

Just doesn't seem worth the risk for a normal cis male to me. Even if you don't get these side effects, it's an unnecessary risk for very little benefit to be honest. If you're already on dutasteride you're already taking care of the androgen related hair loss so I don't see the point in even messing with your primary sex hormones... especially as a body builder! :/ There's no telling how spironolactone will effect your hormone levels long term at that dosage as it takes months for most trans women to get into proper ranges. You can't know how strongly it's going to effect you until you've been on it a while.

Sorry I know you say you've carefully considered the side effects but I always make it a point to try to dissuade men from using oral spironolactone whenever I see this threads pop up because I personally feel it is incredibly irresponsible as a cis male who wishes to remain that way.