How long to find a job before you start to panic?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HLTMod2 said:
powersam said:
I wish my posts in the off topic could be retroactively removed from my post count :)
Already done four days ago :)

Can you get me that information I need?

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
s.a.f said:
Keep trying but in the meantime join an employment agency.

those temp agencies are fast! I put my resume in and they got me $9 per hour temp jobs in a snap!

Sheesh, I'm glad I don't live in the USA. In Norway that hourly wage would be about twice as high.

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
Norsk said:
CCS said:
s.a.f said:

those temp agencies are fast! I put my resume in and they got me $9 per hour temp jobs in a snap!

Sheesh, I'm glad I don't live in the USA. In Norway that hourly wage would be about twice as high.
Agreed man. At 26 years old, a temp gig paying less than 20 bucks an hour would make me feel like a worthless loser. i made 9 bucks an hour when i was 18 and had zero experience

Petchsky

Reaction score
Norsk said:
CCS said:
s.a.f said:

Yeah, but much tax do you pay?

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Yeah, but much tax do you pay?

With that kind of income I'd guess about 30%.

edit: I meant if you earn that kind of wage in a regular job. I'm not sure how much it'd be if you only do odd jobs now and then.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Admin said:
Bryan said:
Can you get me that information I need?
What was it that you needed Bryan?

I need the contents of that thread I started recently in which I described the job a friend of mine needs, and the uncertainty over the "communications skills" they're looking for.

Admin said:
Did you get my PM ('sssssssss) ?

Yes. I'll answer it soon. My inbox was so full, I had to clear some of it out, just to see my new messages! :)

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
Update:
Still not one phone call or positive response to a job that I applied for.
Almost 2 and half months now. :dunno:

Petchsky

Reaction score
I know how you feel. I'm just trying to get a temporary job till January after my contract ended, proving quite hard and i'm registered with three agency's, two weeks now just trying to find a temp job all of which i'm over qualified for, there is just not many companies hiring at the moment unfortunately.

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
mulder said:
This is a very bad time to be on the job market..
i know. but my options are limited. i cant take out even more student loans for an MBA or grad school, ill die paying back just interest...
this recession can last years...am i supposed to sit in my parents house jobless till im in my 30s

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for work for 3 weeks now but it feels like foreever.

Agencies are horrible and take ages to reply. I've had just one call back. I'd rather get something simple like an e-mail saying 'Sorry you're not what we're looking for' than recieve no feedback what so ever.

ali777

Reaction score
mulder said:
how about teaching english overseas?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I seriously thought about this. Having lived in a few countries, I have the skills to translate documents or teach English. I decided against it as I want to work in my own profession but I wouldn't rule it out as a weekend job in the future.

Hammer87 said:
I'd rather get something simple like an e-mail saying 'Sorry you're not what we're looking for' than recieve no feedback what so ever.

I applied for one particular position 3 or 4 consecutive years. I was pretty confident that I was good enough to at least be called for an interview, but I didn't even get an acknowledgment of application. I was so annoyed at the a**hole that I felt like going to his office and telling him off... Obviously, I didn't do that :nono:

I agree with you there Hammer, they should send "We're sorry, but you aren't good enough for us" letters/emails. I want to hear from them but I don't want a politically correct letter telling me that I'm really good but they can't offer me the position at the moment, blah blah blah.

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
mulder said:
how about teaching english overseas?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I seriously thought about this. Having lived in a few countries, I have the skills to translate documents or teach English. I decided against it as I want to work in my own profession but I wouldn't rule it out as a weekend job in the future.

Hammer87 said:
I'd rather get something simple like an e-mail saying 'Sorry you're not what we're looking for' than recieve no feedback what so ever.

I applied for one particular position 3 or 4 consecutive years. I was pretty confident that I was good enough to at least be called for an interview, but I didn't even get an acknowledgment of application. I was so annoyed at the a**hole that I felt like going to his office and telling him off... Obviously, I didn't do that :nono:

I agree with you there Hammer, they should send "We're sorry, but you aren't good enough for us" letters/emails. I want to hear from them but I don't want a politically correct letter telling me that I'm really good but they can't offer me the position at the moment, blah blah blah.
I have gotten around 7 of those automated "while we took your resume into consideration ultimately we have chosen someone whose skill set was more suited for the position".
Believe me, those get just as frustrated as not hearing back from anyone because its a computer thats sending you that email. No personal explanation or reasons why you werent chosen.

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
I look at these jobs posted online and just have to laugh at them. Theres no such thing as a general position requiring standard skill sets anymore. The only posts that can be applied to are for the most absurd technically narrow skill set required of any position.

Its such bullshit how one is supposed to get a job in this economy when these assholes at agencies are trying to attract that 1% of candidates who did the EXACT same thing somewhere else out of the 99% American population who have never been exposed to ridiculous software applications and responsibilities unless they held the exact same job title and position.

I find it funny, and I think in this dog eat dog work environment some changes are required for my current resume to help land me something. I have my doubts that anyone hired for these jobs have the skill set, but rather lie or know someone. Noone else on earth could possibly have such niche skills and be unemployed at the same time and have the sheer luck to come across a posting for their exact previous job somewhere else. I think one has a better chance of entering a parallel universe through a worm hole in space.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Frankly I do think most people lie on their resumes. I know several people who landed decent jobs after laying some pretty huge whoppers on their resumes. After they got the experience the job required it didn't really matter.

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for work for just under a month now, and although not panicing, I am getting frustrated. In that time I've had just one call, passed 2/3 assessments and didn't make it to the interview stage. I do understand however that in this economic climate, and with Xmas/New Years coming up it's not the ideal time to be taking on staff. - Not to mentioned that these days with uni's handing out degrees non stop experience is the most important thing followed by post graduate courses.

I'm going to give it until january before I think f*** it and go and work back in a bar or something until I find a proper career job.

Today I've even completely re-wrote/strucured my CV in an attempt to get a better footing in the job market.

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
Hammer87 said:
I've been looking for work for just under a month now, and although not panicing, I am getting frustrated. In that time I've had just one call, passed 2/3 assessments and didn't make it to the interview stage. I do understand however that in this economic climate, and with Xmas/New Years coming up it's not the ideal time to be taking on staff. - Not to mentioned that these days with uni's handing out degrees non stop experience is the most important thing followed by post graduate courses.

I'm going to give it until january before I think f*ck it and go and work back in a bar or something until I find a proper career job.

Today I've even completely re-wrote/strucured my CV in an attempt to get a better footing in the job market.
this may sound stupid, but what exactly does CV stand for...i always see Resume/CV and wonder to myself...well i got a resume but what the hells a CV