How long to find a job before you start to panic?

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been applying to job after job every single day for 2 months straight now. I have not recieved one phone call back. I try to network by emailing people who work in the companies im applying to, who respond, but then get me in touch with someone else, and the cycle starts anew without any outcome.

how long into the job search would u say is normal to not hear back from anyone until you stop chalking it up to the bad economy, or the "it takes time" babble, before i should start to really get worried.

as it is now, at 2 months, im flat dead broke, no life, and all i do is try to make my situation better to no avail by non stop applying/emailing/networking for a position in the field in looking for. i dont know if i can stand another 2 months longer of doing the same thing with not a shred of outcome.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Keep trying but in the meantime join an employment agency.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you've viewed your job search in this context yet or not, so if you already have, then my point will be redundant... but, the best thing you can do to increase your chances of landing a new job is to concentrate on expanding your social circle. Instead of dedicating endless time to perusing websites and perfecting cover letters, consider dedicating some time to joining some local clubs... toastmasters, junior chamber of commerce, wine tasting groups, beer tasting groups, sports fan groups, WHATEVER group but most importantly it would really help to find a social group or club that caters to people who are in the line of work you are seeking employment in.

Share your job search with all of your family and friends, let them know that you are eager to find a great position in your field of interest, and ask them if they know of any leads or contacts in that field who might be interested in a hard working new employee. Not sure what kind of a personality you have, but when you are in job search mode, it is crucial that you let the EXTROVERT in you flourish. Talk to people. Sell yourself. Be a dragon. Have brass balls, and always be closing, always. Forgive the cliches, but that's the kind of mentality that helps develop the personal "culture of kickass" that will GET you that new job.

MOST of all, try to stay positive. DON'T turn a job search into a bureaucratic search for a new paycheck. If you have this mentality, it will show through in the interview. Instead, consider your job search as an adventure, a personal challenge, a mountain in front of you that you need to overcome. Roll with the ups and downs, know that there will be periods where there will be good luck, and periods where it seems like behind every crest you have overcome is an even higher crest staring you in the face. Don't take rejection too seriously, keep your head up, and just try to stay positive.

Good luck

powersam

Reaction score
BlahBlah12 said:
I have been applying to job after job every single day for 2 months straight now. I have not recieved one phone call back. I try to network by emailing people who work in the companies im applying to, who respond, but then get me in touch with someone else, and the cycle starts anew without any outcome.

how long into the job search would u say is normal to not hear back from anyone until you stop chalking it up to the bad economy, or the "it takes time" babble, before i should start to really get worried.

as it is now, at 2 months, im flat dead broke, no life, and all i do is try to make my situation better to no avail by non stop applying/emailing/networking for a position in the field in looking for. i dont know if i can stand another 2 months longer of doing the same thing with not a shred of outcome.

what career are you in?

downtime is a chance to re-skill, re-educate etc.

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I'm not sure if you've viewed your job search in this context yet or not, so if you already have, then my point will be redundant... but, the best thing you can do to increase your chances of landing a new job is to concentrate on expanding your social circle. Instead of dedicating endless time to perusing websites and perfecting cover letters, consider dedicating some time to joining some local clubs... toastmasters, junior chamber of commerce, wine tasting groups, beer tasting groups, sports fan groups, WHATEVER group but most importantly it would really help to find a social group or club that caters to people who are in the line of work you are seeking employment in.

Share your job search with all of your family and friends, let them know that you are eager to find a great position in your field of interest, and ask them if they know of any leads or contacts in that field who might be interested in a hard working new employee. Not sure what kind of a personality you have, but when you are in job search mode, it is crucial that you let the EXTROVERT in you flourish. Talk to people. Sell yourself. Be a dragon. Have brass balls, and always be closing, always. Forgive the cliches, but that's the kind of mentality that helps develop the personal "culture of kickass" that will GET you that new job.

MOST of all, try to stay positive. DON'T turn a job search into a bureaucratic search for a new paycheck. If you have this mentality, it will show through in the interview. Instead, consider your job search as an adventure, a personal challenge, a mountain in front of you that you need to overcome. Roll with the ups and downs, know that there will be periods where there will be good luck, and periods where it seems like behind every crest you have overcome is an even higher crest staring you in the face. Don't take rejection too seriously, keep your head up, and just try to stay positive.

Good luck
Hey gardner,
thanks for all the advice. I cant say that I am intimidated by job interviews, im a pretty sociable guy. I've gone on many interviews in the past and usually had my choice of which jobs to choose from. But that was years ago before I went back to school for an advanced degree. Now that I am out and have more education, I cannot land an interview for the life of me.

As for connections, I have zero luck there. My parents are teachers. Their connections are worthless being that the only people they know are other teachers. Being a teach is so nice and rewarding, but its the most closed off, low paying, unappreciative profession there is. But im not going to sit here and blame my parents for where I am at, that would be childish and cowardly. I do get angry sometimes that their lack of knowledge and any associations to white collar professions is detrimental in the 21st century, but I am not judging.

So far there have been zero periods of good luck. Just day after day of the seemingly endless same crap. I sit home, wake up. Check my email to see not one response. Look at my cell phone to see not one missed call. Sit in my room on the computer filling out job apps online and uploading resumes, Nightime Sleep Repeat the depressing existence all over again. 2 months straight of this. Im just getting sick of it. Even if I was landing interviews and getting rejected...at least I would have an excuse to put on a damn shirt and tie and feel like I accomplished something for my determination.

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
what career are you in?

downtime is a chance to re-skill, re-educate etc.
my college background is in the sciences and economics. I have previous experience working finance but im trying to get into healthcare finance(pharmaceutical, medical device industry etc)
I have enough education and college loans to pay off to last me years. I cant go back for more schooling without saving and having some sort of income, and LIVING on my own and not in my parents house at 26 years old

pacinom

Reaction score
BlahBlah,

I feel sorry for your situation. I have been through that myself last year and I know exactly what you mean. I did that for 2 months too until luck finally favored me. Patience is your best friend here. Make sure you put in a lot of effort for the job search and are ready for any interview or opportunity that comes your way. October is not exactly a great time to be out of job and the recession doesnt make life easier. Most jobs open up during a new quarter (January)Here is some other steps you can take.

1. Post your resume on monster.com, careerbuilder and dice.com and BROADCAST them all.
2. Make a list of companies in your speciality go to theri websites and get their email AND contact number and cold call them.
3. Socialize and network. Nothing works better than this.
4. Just do some part time non specialty related job if money is an issue until time gets better.
5. Dont be too choosy about the specialty or job you are looking ror.. accept something a level lower for now until things get better.
6. Always stay positive. If you have done all the hardwork and put in all the efforts and you thin kyou deserve a good job then its your time that is bad. Not you. So try to avoid feeling depressed.
I wish you all the best.

ali777

Reaction score
My brother had a very poor start to his career, it took him years to land a proper job. He's been in good jobs for the last few years but before that he had a few really bad jobs and one whole year without a job. I guess, sometimes you can't be too picky and you have to go for whatever is available and get the experience.

As already posted by others, I'd say try to stay positive and use your days in a productive way. Read a useful book or start your own professional project. It might sound strange, but you could treat each day as a working day and do something in your own time. Write a blog about it, post some results to web sites, get some hits and attention to improve your marketability.

Good luck!!! I know how it feels like to be in a crappy situation, I'm still trying to dig myself out of a mess I got into and I'm absolutely broke.

CCS

Reaction score
How long depends on how much savings you have. If you typically spend all your money and don't save a buffer, you should be worried right away. I have 3 or 4 months saved up. I also accepted my friend's old clothes instead of buying new ones. My car has a lot of pealing paint, and has for several months, but I chose not to get a new paint job or spend my money on a newer car. If it ain't broke, don't replace it, at least not till you are rich. I eat lots of rice, which I buy in bulk. I don't know why people still buy crackers and cereal when it is made from the same stuff at a higher price and has chemicals in it. The only thing I have spent money on is laser hair removal, and that is because it is a long term investment and should pay off, and the with the economy low they dropped their price pretty low, so I accepted. Just keep applying, and start boiling some rice. Get a rice cooker so you can just wait till you hear it's done! $10 at walmart.

CCS

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Keep trying but in the meantime join an employment agency.

those temp agencies are fast! I put my resume in and they got me $9 per hour temp jobs in a snap!

CCS

Reaction score
Yeah, if you got a job, do what you got to do to keep it, until you know you got another and can handle it.

You need to do what low gpa engineering grads do: apply everywhere, and don't be picky. Just get some experience, and then leave the lame company 2 years later when you get a better one.

powersam

Reaction score
CCS said:
The only thing I have spent money on is laser hair removal, and that is because it is a long term investment and should pay off, and the with the economy low they dropped their price pretty low, so I accepted.

How in hell could laser hair removal be an investment which could pay off? Are you a chest/leg model?

CCS

Reaction score
powersam said:
CCS said:
The only thing I have spent money on is laser hair removal, and that is because it is a long term investment and should pay off, and the with the economy low they dropped their price pretty low, so I accepted.

How in hell could laser hair removal be an investment which could pay off? Are you a chest/leg model?

Money saved on having to pay for dinners. If women WANT sex with me, instead of just tolerating it for the free food, I can save lots of money that will add up later. And it is not just dinner. I don't know what guys spend their money on, but many have told me that when they have a girlfriend they blow at least $300 per month more than when they are single. Some said $600 more. And they say they don't know where it goes. They just want to make her happy so she keeps liking them.

Saying LHR won't pay off is like saying the only pay off to working out is health. How 'bout confidence, and lots of other stuff? I bet many guys on here been to prostitutes. How much you pay for them? You could have saved that money had she WANTED the sex. Working out does not cost money though, so I'm sure many people would rank it a better investment than the LHR.

Let's not take this off topic though. We were talking about life without a job, and I just mentioned how to live more cheaply so you can save up a big money cushion for the hard times. I have 3 months saved up.

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the motivating words. I try to wake up each day and pretend like its a whole new chance for something good to happen. I just dont want to lose that small shred of optimism i still have.

I used to work temp jobs at great prestigious financial companies. The last temp salary I worked before going back to school was around $24 an hour. ANd that was a couple of years ago. But I was scared of becoming a "serial temp" with temp jobs. My contract would expire and every 6 months, I would go find a new job. I was working with 30 year olds who were still temping, and to me that was an awful way to live. Plus, it looks horrible on a resume to not have any solid work experience but just bouncing around.

Thats why I have refrained from applying to any temp agency whatsoever relating to the field that I want to get in. In the short term it could give me money, but in the long term its detrimental and a terrible cycle to get into especially now that Im no longer a 22 year old, fresh out of college entry level applicant. I feel like Im way too old to start jerking around with an unsteady job. Id rather wait for as long as it takes to get some kind of full time position somewhere that will give me experience and look good on a resume so I have a better chance eventually of transitioning to the position that I really want to be doing. Plus temping gives you no health insurance, youre basically like an indentured servant. And I hate the idea of how rich corporations just hire temps to avoid having to pay employees benefits.

As far as savings go, I have zero savings. Why would I have any savings after being a full time student for the past couple of years...I had a job on campus that paid me 7 dollars an hour doing research. It pretty much paid for my gas to get there and nothing more. So I am flat broke, but I live at home. Which is miserable at 26, absolutely miserable, but I can be homeless which is far worse. At least my parents pay for the things I cannot afford like car insurance and great dinners.

powersam

Reaction score
I wish my posts in the off topic could be retroactively removed from my post count :)

Petchsky

Reaction score
I think he's referring to the post counts being reduced as some off topic threads have been deleted. maybe?

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with me these days. I get angry whenever I am around my family because I am constantly reminded of how my life is most likely going to end up- struggling endlessly to make ends meet, worrying at night over every purchase made, listening to friends describe their awesome vacations, fight and argue constantly over bills, having a 31 year old who still lives at home and has men over the house.

Just hoping for some bit of luck to fall my way here. Doing all I can to help improve my situation feeling that I deserve something to come my way not because of a handout but because of hard work. Sometimes I feel like all I am doing is trying to escape fate. I cant take it sometimes i really can't. 2pac said it best "So complicated to escape fate /And you can never understand til we trade places"
WILL SOME LUCK JUST SHINE ON ME HERE! JUST FOR A MINUTE, PLEASE OVER HERE DONT FORGET ABOUT ME :agree:

CCS

Reaction score
get one more temp job, a night one, that way you can job search during the day. the money will make you happy. Working another temp job can't look worse than being unemployed. I think unemployed makes you look desperate.

As for your family, don't be the baby eagle walking with the ducks. I used to fight with my family, and I just left them. I would not let them try to define me. A-holes. I doubt yours are bad though. And if you don't have savings, forget the resume and get some money first. The economy may get worse with the inflation coming from that bailout. Rice used to be 40 cents a pound a year ago. Now it is 80 cents a pound. The only thing that is the same price is milk, still $1.88 per gallon where I live.