How Long Does It Take Finasteride To Block Dht?

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on this sh*t two months and no slowdown in hairs shed. I lose 100 or less a day but about half of those come from the front where I'm thinning and have far fewer hairs.

If my dht levels had been lowered by the medication then wouldn't the loss stop or slow by now?

I've obsessively searched for answers to this and found nothing. For all the men who've taken finasteride and all the studies done you'd think somebody would've put together an explanation or guide showing what to expect at what point as you take this stuff.

Sadly nobody has any answers other than "Give it a year".

Last edited:

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on this sh*t two months and no slowdown in hairs shed. I lose 100 or less a day but about half of those come from the front where I'm thinning and have far fewer hairs.

If my dht levels had been lowered by the medication then wouldn't the loss stop or slow by now?

I've obsessively searched for answers to this and found nothing. For all the men who've taken finasteride and all the studies done you'd think somebody would've put together an explanation or guide showing what to expect at what point as you take this stuff.

Sadly nobody has any answers other than "Give it a year".
Exactly give it at least a year. You will shed thick and thin hair. Takes a while for the shed to stop and growth to begin. You will most likely go through multiple sheds. Every hair on your head is in a different cycle. If you stop. And start without giving the medication time to do its thing that may be Worse than never taking it. Your messing with your receptors

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly give it at least a year. You will shed thick and thin hair. Takes a while for the shed to stop and growth to begin. You will most likely go through multiple sheds. Every hair on your head is in a different cycle. If you stop. And start without giving the medication time to do its thing that may be Worse than never taking it. Your messing with your receptors

Thanks Shidoin. You're a good and knowledgable guy. If a year goes by and I see nothing I'll pull out the big gun, dutasteride, and see what that can do for me.

But what you're telling me is that this is normal. I read success story after success story where some dude sees something very quickly and think "I must not be responding".

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Shidoin. You're a good and knowledgable guy. If a year goes by and I see nothing I'll pull out the big gun, dutasteride, and see what that can do for me.

But what you're telling me is that this is normal. I read success story after success story where some dude sees something very quickly and think "I must not be responding".
I take dutasteride, I was only on finasteride for 3 years. It works better for me. But what works for me may not work for you.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take dutasteride, I was only on finasteride for 3 years. It works better for me. But what works for me may not work for you.

But basically, does finasteride block dht immediately but for some reason it doesn't stop hair going into the rest phase for months? Is that how it's supposed to work?

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
But basically, does finasteride block dht immediately but for some reason it doesn't stop hair going into the rest phase for months? Is that how it's supposed to work?
It starts working immediately but has to build up in the body. Your hair may go through many cycles before it thickens

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It starts working immediately but has to build up in the body. Your hair may go through many cycles before it thickens

Do you know much about the conversion of testosterone to dht?

I ask because I take Propecia in the morning but I've read in a lot of places that testosterone levels increase during sleep, and if conversion to dht also increases during sleep maybe I should start taking my dose before bed?

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you know much about the conversion of testosterone to dht?

I ask because I take Propecia in the morning but I've read in a lot of places that testosterone levels increase during sleep, and if conversion to dht also increases during sleep maybe I should start taking my dose before bed?
Testosterone is highest in the morning. I forget the half life of finasteride. I think it's 7 hours. But it's still floating around in your system. I think it takes 2 weeks to completely clear out. You could take it anytime. I just take it around noon

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Testosterone is highest in the morning. I forget the half life of finasteride. I think it's 7 hours. But it's still floating around in your system. I think it takes 2 weeks to completely clear out. You could take it anytime. I just take it around noon
You said it builds up? I've read other commenters and heard Spencer Kobren briefly mentioned this.

I hate to bother you with a million questions but nobody has explained this to me, not even my doctor. Please tell me about this build up.

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
Spencer only takes 5 mg once a week
The half-life is between 4 and 6 hours, so (assuming 6 hours) if I take it at 6 am by the time I go to bed around 10 pm it's over 75% gone, and past midnight it's 87.5% gone.

But you said it builds up? I've read other commenters and heard Spencer Kobren briefly mentioned this.

I hate to bother you with a million questions but nobody has explained this to me, not even my doctor. Please tell me about this build up.

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah he said he did that because it had built up in his system from taking it so long, but he didn't explain anything about that.
I wouldn't take that approach personally. But its working for him! I've taken 5mg a day of finasteride plus 0.5 mg to 1.0 mg dutasteride daily for a few month before. Crazy regrowth but a little excessive protocol

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't take that approach personally. But its working for him! I've taken 5mg a day of finasteride plus 0.5 mg to 1.0 mg dutasteride daily for a few month before. Crazy regrowth but a little excessive protocol

Yeah I'm going with the standard 1 mg until I know it not working. Then I'll see about where to get dutasteride.

Yar

My Regimen
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Hairicane, post: 1796919, member: 141586"] Я нахожусь в этом дерьме два месяца. У меня больше всего волос, а у меня больше волос.

Если бы у меня не было уровня лекарств, то потеря не остановилась или не замедлилась к этому времени?

Я одержимо искал ответы на это и ничего не нашел. Для всех мужчин, которые принимают окончательные результаты и все проведенные исследования, можно подумать, что кто-то должен был дать объяснение или руководство, показывающее, чего ожидать в какой-то момент, когда вы принимаете этот материал.

К сожалению, пока у него нет ответов. [/ QUOTE]

[QUOTE = "Hairicane, post: 1796919, member: 141586"] Я нахожусь в этом дерьме два месяца и никакого замедления в потере волос. Я теряю 100 или меньше в день, но около половины из них приходят с фронта, где я худею, и у меня гораздо меньше волос.

Если бы мои уровни dht были снижены лекарством, тогда потеря не остановится или не замедлится к этому времени?

Я одержимо искал ответы на это и ничего не нашел. Для всех мужчин, которые принимали финастерид и все проведенные исследования, можно подумать, что кто-то составил бы объяснение или руководство, показывающее, чего ожидать в какой момент, когда вы принимаете этот материал.

К сожалению, ни у кого нет ответов, кроме как "дай ему год". [/ QUOTE]

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/exploring-the-hormonal-route-hair-life.109288/
if you really need a result, then read our thread. I’m saying that there is a result, for 7 days of using cypro and estradiol, not only the loss decreased, but it also went up on the bald areas! My mode was originally 0.5mg Cypro + Estradio 1mg

alibaba92

My Regimen
Reaction score

Would you mind explaining why hair must go through many cycles before it gets better ? I would guess that once DHT on the scalp is reduced, hair would rise again after 1 cycle ?

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
Would you mind explaining why hair must go through many cycles before it gets better ? I would guess that once DHT on the scalp is reduced, hair would rise again after 1 cycle ?
As explained to me by a doctor. The hair didn't miniaturize on one cycle it took time for them to shrink. And if the 5 ar blockers are working for you it will reverse with the same amount of hair cycles.
That is the reason why you should wait at least a year or more to see results. The hair, if you have Male pattern balding slowly produces thinner shorter hairs until they stop producing. I don't however believe that once they stop producing hair you a finished. We just haven't found a way to fully wake them back up safely and by not becoming transgender. you are born and die with the same amount of hair follicles. They don't dissapeared, just go dormant

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would you mind explaining why hair must go through many cycles before it gets better ? I would guess that once DHT on the scalp is reduced, hair would rise a
As explained to me by a doctor. The hair didn't miniaturize on one cycle it took time for them to shrink. And if the 5 ar blockers are working for you it will reverse with the same amount of hair cycles.
That is the reason why you should wait at least a year or more to see results. The hair, if you have Male pattern balding slowly produces thinner shorter hairs until they stop producing. I don't however believe that once they stop producing hair you a finished. We just haven't found a way to fully wake them back up safely and by not becoming transgender. you are born and die with the same amount of hair follicles. They don't dissapeared, just go dormant

Why would some men fail to respond to finasteride? Is it that even though finasteride eliminates 60-70% of dht the the remaining 30-40% is enough to start the balding process, or does finasteride simply not lower dht for everyone?

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
Why would some men fail to respond to finasteride? Is it that even though finasteride eliminates 60-70% of dht the the remaining 30-40% is enough to start the balding process, or does finasteride simply not lower dht for everyone?
Genetics! Similar to the way some people don't respond to cancer treatment. Or some people could be immune to the antivenom of a black widow bite.

Last edited: