How Long Does Finasteride Work Before It Loses Effectiveness?

bagrationi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm wondering how long Finasteride 1mg will stay effective at maintaining hair for most patients. I've heard around 5 years, but wishing it was longer. When it starts to become less effective, I'm wondering if people switch up to 1.25mg finasteride (do they make this formulation?), or switch to dutasteride. Also, how long on average does dutas work before losing effectiveness? Thank you.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are post on here and other forums where dudes who maintained for well over 8+ years. I'm going on 4 years myself and my hair has maintained.

bagrationi

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are post on here and other forums where dudes who maintained for well over 8+ years. I'm going on 4 years myself and my hair has maintained.
That's reassuring to hear. I assume there's a degree of variation depending on each person's genetic makeup, such as the degree of DHT sensitivity in their tissues as they age. Do you take 1mg currently, and if so would you considering bumping up to 1.25mg down the line if you needed some extra oomph, or switch to dutasteride?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's reassuring to hear. I assume there's a degree of variation depending on each person's genetic makeup, such as the degree of DHT sensitivity in their tissues as they age. Do you take 1mg currently, and if so would you considering bumping up to 1.25mg down the line if you needed some extra oomph, or switch to dutasteride?

Switch to dutasteride, an extra 0.25mg would make no difference.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score

I cut 5 mg pills into 4ths so 1.25 mg. If I lost ground I think I would add in minoxidil and if I was still losing I would switch to dutasteride and start planning a hair transplant. I don't think I would ever dabble with the experimentals (e.g., RU, CB, etc.) as the research on humans is questionable at best in terms of effectiveness and safety profile.

bagrationi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I cut 5 mg pills into 4ths so 1.25 mg. If I lost ground I think I would add in minoxidil and if I was still losing I would switch to dutasteride and start planning a hair transplant. I don't think I would ever dabble with the experimentals (e.g., RU, CB, etc.) as the research on humans is questionable at best in terms of effectiveness and safety profile.
Got it. I've heard dutasteride is more efficacious than finasteride, I'm assuming it would also be able to maintain for another 4-5 years? I'm 28 now, just started 1mg finasteride and would like to maintain thru at least age 40. If the anti-androgen stop working for you altogether, I fear the hair transplant would be a waste because then your body will attack the transplanted follicles too.

Also, I don't really think I could use any topicals because I'm a Norwood 2.5-3 and currently use a sort of forward-comb to create the image of a fuller hairline and use a pigmented keratin powder on my scalp that make it look fuller. I wash my hair 2-3 times a week. So I can't be apply something topically several times a day.

Last edited:

ScienceofHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
The reality is we don't yet know if can have negative impact on the hair when it stops working in so many cases.

GP86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride worked well for me for almost exactly 10 years before I noticed my hair starting to thin again. At 14 years I started Dutasteride. It lasted 5 years before I started to notice it losing effectiveness. Pretty much out of options now. Adding things like saw palmetto to try to gain a few more years but that is just hope. I’ve also been using topical minoxidil for the past 9 years.

Baldy12345

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride worked well for me for almost exactly 10 years before I noticed my hair starting to thin again. At 14 years I started Dutasteride. It lasted 5 years before I started to notice it losing effectiveness. Pretty much out of options now. Adding things like saw palmetto to try to gain a few more years but that is just hope. I’ve also been using topical minoxidil for the past 9 years.

What Norwood r u now?

GP86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Norwood 3. Would be a lot worse if not for those 2 drugs. They got me through the years I needed them. No sides at all on finasteride. Reduced libido on dutasteride.

jazz1

Reaction score
There has been a few guys 22 years and still going good on finesteride. Your life style and diet would also play an effect on the effectiveness.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You started Duta at 14?