How long did you wait?

jeffsss

Reaction score
When did you start your current regemine?

was it as soon as you started your hair line receeding or years down the road etc??

I wonder if there would be less bald old men if propecia was out in the 70's

to answer my own question, I got on propecia within a month of noticable hair loss.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
I went on treatment within two weeks of noticing hair loss. I am still waiting on results. Exercising patience is challenging.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
In my case, the loss was precipitated by something else. Since then, loss has been rapid. I wouldn't necessarily call it "luck" LOL

SE-freak

Reaction score
It's just that I might be too late. I fear that I might not be able to fill my crown. This must be happening slowly for some years now.

briancl

Reaction score
Well, I was just beginning to notice some temple recession and I had no idea what was going on. It just kept getting worse so my last resort was to go on the meds. Started about 8-12 months into the start of the loss.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
I started as soon as I noticed, but at that point I already had pretty bad thinning. My hair was so thick that it took I while for me to see any thinning but I am pretty sure now that it was thinning for atleast a year.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
It's just that I might be too late. I fear that I might not be able to fill my crown. This must be happening slowly for some years now.

No. The sheds are affecting your perception. It is not too late. What you've lost during the shed will grow in, healthy and new. You may not be able to recover what you lost prior to treatment, but you simply don't know.

And no matter what, Do not blame yourself!!! The What If game is baloney, and will get you nowhere. Too many of us here are doing that!! I know I have. But I am trying to be better with myself, and calm down.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
in retrospect I waited mucho longer then I wish I had. but hindsight is 20/20 and I'm just thankfull that I'm internet savy enough to have found this board and figured out what the best hairloss treatments are available to use. Denial is everyone's 1st reaction to hairloss and I'm glad I started when I did.

If I had just listened to my dermatoligist, lord knows how bad my hair situation would be right now. Don't worry about it and don't bother looking back.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
About 2 months after I noticed it. I have almost been on my regime for a year now with very very mild progress.

Idaho X

Reaction score
My girlfriend noticed my crown was thinning in March 2004. She said, as I recall: 'My God! Your hair's thinning. Don't let people stand over your desk at work' Anyway, I ignored her. 8 months later (November) I noticed I had diffuse thinning in the horseshoe. I got on proscar in a month. By then it was too late. It seemed like in November and December I lost half my hair.

The good news is that once the proscar kicked in, my hair loss stopped. I haven't regrown anything in the last 10 months, but at least I have half my hair left. (On the other hand, I can't go swimming anymore...)

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
Idaho X said:
I got on proscar in a month. By then it was too late. It seemed like in November and December I lost half my hair.

If I may ask, do you have a history of male pattern baldness in your family? How long between initiation of treatment and noticable "stop?" When you say "stop," do you mean fewer hairs in shower? Sorry for so many questions.

neotokyo

Reaction score
Noticed my temples receeding 6 years ago, but didn't do anything. Started minoxidil a couple years ago, doesn't seem to do anything.

Now Norwood 2.5

Not sure what's left to do.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
Noticed when I was 19 or 20(I turn 22 in december). It was actually pointed out to me, so it wasn't me being paranoid.

I ignored it for a while, till it got worse and I couldn't deny it anymore. Since then, diffuse has only gotten worse, with the big 3 doing virtually nothing; if anything it has been more rapid. the hair on top compared to the sides and back is <40% thickness and density.

Idaho X

Reaction score
Weepy said:
f I may ask, do you have a history of male pattern baldness in your family?

I have one uncle and one cousin who have lost hair. My dad, my brother, and both my grandfathers have/had healthy hair.

Weepy said:
When you say "stop," do you mean fewer hairs in shower?

My hair stopped getting worse. It's funny, but I never noticed any shedding, I just (alarmingly) noticed I could see more and more scalp. It appears that my hair has now stabilized. I am no longer losing more hair than I am growing.

Weepy said:
How long between initiation of treatment and noticable "stop?"

Somedays, I still think I'm getting worse, but I have taken regular photographs. My hair has been pretty much the same since mid summer, so it took about 7 months to stabilize. However, when I started proscar, I was rapidly losing hair. There was a noticable slowing down of the male pattern baldness in 2-3 months.

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I feel I waited too long b4 I got on my regimen. I hate to think about it but it was almost 10 months . Thats when I got educated on it.

I wonder how many guys with hairloss actually do something about it. What percentage of balding guys actually get products to treat their hairloss? From a NW2 on.

RS

Reaction score
I was around 4 years late with starting finasteride. In pics from 4 years ago, I noticed a bit of a V shape recession, but the idea of it being male pattern baldness never came into my head. The hair on the sides of my head also grew thicker and it had to be cut more. Again, I never thought about it being male pattern baldness.

Then 8 months ago when I buzzed my hair, the V shake shocked me :freaked2: and I had very thin hair in the crown area. damn.

jeffsss

Reaction score
gonna_win said:
About 2 months after I noticed it. I have almost been on my regime for a year now with very very mild progress.

do you think it would help to add things to your regimine>?

jeffsss

Reaction score
neotokyo said:
Noticed my temples receeding 6 years ago, but didn't do anything. Started minoxidil a couple years ago, doesn't seem to do anything.

Now Norwood 2.5

how about trying more than just a topical?

neotokyo

Reaction score
jeffsss said:
neotokyo said:

Now Norwood 2.5

how about trying more than just a topical?

I thought topicals were the only thing that could help the front and temples.