How good are full cap hair systems? Especially for a surfer-boy look?

AFutureChad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no hair. I’m clean-shaven. 100% bald. I’m not much of a fan of my hair texture if I let it grow, and I’m the last stage of Norwood. So I don’t think a topper would work.

I’m a young guy, so I wanted to know how well do full cap hair systems work?

I don’t plan on having a short hairstyle, therefore my planned idea was to give a limited view of the hairline and have the long hair I only dreamed of. Pics of hairstyle I want included.

My questions are:

1. How easy is donning a full cap compared to a regular topper?

2. Is a surfer hairstyle achievable? Which is the best material for this look?

3. Which is the best place to get hair systems?

4. Are full cap hair systems of that length very expensive?

5. Any of you gentlemen have full caps? Tell me about it,

Attachments

• 627A6D0C-C2C8-4D26-8D3B-0F5575BCD49C.jpeg
    627A6D0C-C2C8-4D26-8D3B-0F5575BCD49C.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 106
  • BF775F17-8CE8-4AE6-9EA1-A4467C4CC0E6.jpeg
    BF775F17-8CE8-4AE6-9EA1-A4467C4CC0E6.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 106

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no hair. I’m clean-shaven. 100% bald. I’m not much of a fan of my hair texture if I let it grow, and I’m the last stage of Norwood. So I don’t think a topper would work.

I’m a young guy, so I wanted to know how well do full cap hair systems work?

I don’t plan on having a short hairstyle, therefore my planned idea was to give a limited view of the hairline and have the long hair I only dreamed of. Pics of hairstyle I want included.

My questions are:

1. How easy is donning a full cap compared to a regular topper?

2. Is a surfer hairstyle achievable? Which is the best material for this look?

3. Which is the best place to get hair systems?

4. Are full cap hair systems of that length very expensive?

5. Any of you gentlemen have full caps? Tell me about it,
Are those pics formerly you? Surfers and skate boys have blond hair, lol. I agree with your dream of longer "hair that blows gently around my face" which is a mantra that Goddess gave me about the future of my HRT regrowth.

AFutureChad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are those pics formerly you? Surfers and skate boys have blond hair, lol. I agree with your dream of longer hair that blows gently around my face which is a mantra that Goddess gave me about the future of my HRT regrowth.
No. Those aren’t me in the picture but the hairstyle I’m trying to achieve with a full cap.

My bio hair is a very light brown. Dream big, right? Lol.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
No. Those aren’t me in the picture but the hairstyle I’m trying to achieve with a full cap.

My dream is coming true at 56 with HRT. Who knows what the future holds for you? Maybe you should try my wig too. It's very close to Mick Jagger circa 1972. Wigs move gracefully in the wind too but they aren't for sports. $60 on Amazon.

AFutureChad

My Regimen
Reaction score
My dream is coming true at 56 with HRT. Who knows what the future holds for you? Maybe you should try my wig too. It's very close to Mick Jagger circa 1972. Wigs move gracefully in the wind too but they aren't for sports.
Do you wear a full cap?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you wear a full cap?
No. Just a wig. I don't even use the harness only the top part and it stays on fine. It's worth trying and you can always return it. I used to be bald underneath after a spironolactone shed and it really helped the time pass until it got long enough. I post pics regularly on my thread. I look incredibly young now:

1612674343648.png

AFutureChad

My Regimen
Reaction score
No. Just a wig. I don't even use the harness only the top part and it stays on fine. It's worth trying and you can always return it. I used to be bald underneath after a spironolactone shed and it really helped the time pass until it got long enough. I post pics regularly on my thread. I look incredibly young now:

View attachment 156535
That looks great!

So what’s the difference between a full cap hair system and a wig? I’ve been told full caps were wigs.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
That looks great!

So what’s the difference between a full cap hair system and a wig? I’ve been told full caps were wigs.
I don't know. I just always answer questions when the person has no answers as long as I have something to contribute. I looked at hair systems when I was 20 and then I found polysorbate 60 which saved my hair until Min came out and then finasteride saved my hair for ten years and then I turned 48 and they stopped working and I had terrible dermatitis so I decided to jump ship at that point.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That looks great!

A 'wig' in the sense of what JaneyElizabeth is talking about is hair that goes over the top of your bio hair, and is attached with clips. It is not as secure of customised as a hair system, and the hair underneath is not shaved. Also, it is usually taken off each night. Wigs don't usually look as realistic as a hair system either.

A hair system, on the other hand, is hair that is custom fitted to the size of your balding area, and is attached with glue or tape (by shaving your balding area first) and worn for periods of 1, 2 or sometimes even 3 weeks.

A full cap system is a hair system that covers the entire area where your bio hair used to be, including the back and sides. You shave off all your bio hair and the full cap system covers this area.

In my opinion, a hair system is far superior to a wig, as it will look more realistic and since you can wear it for several weeks then you can put it on and pretty much live your life as normal. The attachment is also much more secure, so no chance of it falling off, unlike a wig.

If you still have a decent amount and quality of bio hair on your back and sides, I would NOT recommend getting a full cap system, but instead just shave off the balding/thinning hair on top and get a partial hair system to cover this area, and blend it in the with the your bio hair to give the look of a full head of hair. Full cap systems are difficult to attach at the nape, so think carefully before going that route.

If you're going to wear a full cap, you'll be shaving all your bio hair anyway so you can have any colour you want. No need to 'dream big', you can just do it.

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
A 'wig' in the sense of what JaneyElizabeth is talking about is hair that goes over the top of your bio hair, and is attached with clips. It is not as secure of customised as a hair system, and the hair underneath is not shaved. Also, it is usually taken off each night. Wigs don't usually look as realistic as a hair system either.

A hair system, on the other hand, is hair that is custom fitted to the size of your balding area, and is attached with glue or tape (by shaving your balding area first) and worn for periods of 1, 2 or sometimes even 3 weeks.

A full cap system is a hair system that covers your entire head (where the hair used to be). You shave off all your hair and the full cap system covers this area.

In my opinion, a hair system is far superior to a wig, as it will look more realistic and since you can wear it for several weeks then you can put it on and pretty much live your life as normal. The attachment is also much more secure, so no change of it falling off, unlike a wig.

If you still have a decent amount and quality of bio hair on your back and sides, I would NOT recommend getting a full cap system, but instead just shave off the balding/thinning hair on top and get a partial hair system to cover this area, and blend it in the with the your bio hair to give the look of a full head of hair. Full cap systems are difficult to attach at the nape, so think carefully before going that route.

If you're going to wear a full cap, you'll be shaving all your bio hair anyway so you can have any colour you want. No need to 'dream big', you can just do it.
Yeah except the clips and hair net grossed me out somehow so I ditched those but somehow wigs stay on more easily than hair pieces I think. I love mine and it became a part of my personality.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

A full cap system is a hair system that covers the entire area where your bio hair used to be, including the back and sides. You shave off all your bio hair and the full cap system covers this area.

In my opinion, a hair system is far superior to a wig, as it will look more realistic and since you can wear it for several weeks then you can put it on and pretty much live your life as normal. The attachment is also much more secure, so no chance of it falling off, unlike a wig.

So I am curious. Do you guys wash the systems? How often do they need to be replaced? I have like washed my wig once in a year and it doesn't smell or get dirty really but for $60, I bought another just like it. I don't usually wear it at home and I have been using my own hair which is close to where it needs to be but in Winter, wigs are warm. I am on the other side of gender but basically the day that I put it on, I had a waitress hit on me and then ahem, a guy that I was smoking cigarettes with (I vape Juuls) and he was all over me and I was like, I think I like this wig! I am sure you guys have probably felt similarly when you feel confident and others get that vibe but mostly you look better.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I am curious. Do you guys wash the systems?

Yes, of course we wash hair systems, however they do not get greasy like bio hair so they can be washed less frequently than bio hair. You also have to be careful when using shampoo with a hair system so as not to cause too much shedding or fading. Some guys just rinse their system with water and only every so often with shampoo. Me personally, I wash my system on average every 2 weeks (when I detach it), usually gently with shampoo and then with a colour depositing conditioner (Back2Natural) to help maintain the colour and softness of the hair.

How often do they need to be replaced?

That depends on the type of base you're using, the quality of the hair system, how well you look after it, etc. Generally, lace base systems last longer than skin bases. I would say that on average, you will get 4 - 6 months out of a lace system, and 3 - 4 months out of a skin system, but it varies between people. It has been known for some people to get 12 months out of a lace system from what I've read on here. My current system is all swiss lace and is in its 7th month and still looking great, and I reckon I could get 12 months out of it. It does help that I have longer hair and I probably have a higher density system than some people. I think people who have lower density systems won't get as long out of them as me.

I am sure you guys have probably felt similarly when you feel confident and others get that vibe but mostly you look better.

I definitely feel more confident with a hair system. I think it's only natural to feel more confident when you look your best, and yes of course, you give off a different vibe when you radiate confidence and get a better response from people as a result. I definitely feel more attractive and get better reactions from women when I am looking and feeling my best.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine how difficult it'd be to deal w/ a fullcap w/ an all-lace/poly base.

I'm actually watching a show on TV where the main character, without explaination, fluctuates between having a fully-shaved head & a really nice full-cap. But, remember, it is a high-budget TV show & people are applying that thing expertly. He doesn't have long hair when he rocks the system but a very stylish shorter cut w/out an exposed hairline.

If I were you, I'd look into front-lace/lace-front wigs on YouTube. IMO, the stock systems are infinitely superior to what men can get. They've realistic, w/ pre-plucked hairlines, baby hairs, etc.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm actually watching a show on TV where the main character, without explaination, fluctuates between having a fully-shaved head & a really nice full-cap. But, remember, it is a high-budget TV show & people are applying that thing expertly

What tv show and episode is that? I'm curious. Although I do think it's a bit silly when people give away the fact that they're wearing hair by suddenly going from being bald to having a full head of hair. I think the whole point is to do it stealth and transition into it naturally, so that nobody knows.

AFutureChad

My Regimen
Reaction score

Ah okay. That makes sense. I understand now. It’s been difficult finding good full cap videos but I’ve seen only a handful of them. Seems guys usually go got toppers.
I see. I don’t have any bio hair at all since I always keep a clean-shaven look. Think Bruce Willis or Vin Diesel.

I wanted to get a color that sort of matches. I’ve been told it also depends on ethnic background, etc. Fortunately I’m able to pull off an array of looks but best suited for me would be a longer, curly style.
Another question is is custom full cap better? Or should I buy a regular full cap and go on from there?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so depends on ethnic background, etc. Fortunately I’m able to pull off an array of looks but best suited for me would be a longer, curly style.
Another question is is custom full cap better? Or should I buy a regular full cap and go on from there?

A custom system will always be better as you can match the size of the base, the density/colour/wave etc of the hair exactly to your size/specs. Stock systems can work, but the base needs to be resized for your head. I don't have any experience with full cap systems myself, but a custom would be best. A stock system is ok to experiment with at first, though. I think your best bet would be to start contacting reputable hair system companies to enquire about price, availability etc. Due to the pandemic, it might be tricky to get a custom system but it depends on the company.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
What tv show and episode is that? I'm curious. Although I do think it's a bit silly when people give away the fact that they're wearing hair by suddenly going from being bald to having a full head of hair. I think the whole point is to do it stealth and transition into it naturally, so that nobody knows.

It's an Iranian series. No, it's impressive IMO. The guy's a highly successful criminal w/ tons of charisma, but he doesn't wear the piece to disguise himself or anything. I wish the reason why he did it was revealed - but it's a mystery!

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
To the OP, you could, of course, just get a standard 8x10 stock piece in whatever color you want & rock an undercut. 8x10 is quite large - way too big for me.

I've done it before. It limits you insofar as you can't have an short haircut, but that's not what you want anyway.

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I clicked a link somebody posted earlier to a company called northwestlace and I saw a picture today of a guy with a full cap that looked pretty cool, reminds me of dexter morgan. I didn't even know full caps were a thing until today

Attachments

• Pete9.jpeg
    Pete9.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 96

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Full caps are great. I've been wearing one for many years. And over the years I have learned to remove it and attach it. There is definitely a learning curve to that. I am partial to all lace with a taped perimeter and that works out just fine. I normally will detach and attached every two weeks for cleaning.