How fast or slow do you run a mile?

Joey Ramone

Reaction score
The time to beat is 3 minutes, 43 seconds so you're all a bunch of pussies.

I was watching the olympics and it looked like a blast for the athletes so I plan to get awesome at something and shoot for the London games. I don't reckon this'll be my sport though, middle distance runners look too much like skinny maths teachers - this is no good for ladytown.

I reckon ping pong's the go.

It's just a post. It's just a post about ping pong.

ali777

Reaction score
dudemon said:
The question is: "How fast can you run a mile after smoking 1 to 2 packs per day for 10 years?"

Not very fast I bet.

I do alright for myself... I think I can run faster than most non-smokers.

CCS

Reaction score
smoking just gives you cancer. You have to really have a lot of tar build up to reduce your lung capacity. Even then, just cough it up and you are ready to take on the non-smokers. The long time smokers in the marines ran circles around me easily. Not all of them, just a few, but the cigarettes were definitely not the issue.

Cassin

Reaction score
CCS said:
smoking just gives you cancer. You have to really have a lot of tar build up to reduce your lung capacity. Even then, just cough it up and you are ready to take on the non-smokers. The long time smokers in the marines ran circles around me easily. Not all of them, just a few, but the cigarettes were definitely not the issue.

Seriously....stop talking about what you haven't a clue about.

CCS

Reaction score
Cassin said:
CCS said:

Seriously....stop talking about what you haven't a clue about.

I can out run non smokers just as easily as I out run smokers. If they are into athletics, they can out do me. But if they are video game players and decide to show up to the indoor running track, I lap them many many times throughout my whole workout.

I think many smokers don't exercise because they don't care enough. So when they do show up to exercise, they can't do anything, and blame it on the cigarettes. I seriously know lots of smokers who can run circles around me, and they are not on an athletics team or anything. And they jog and smoke at the same time.

I'm sure smoking has to hurt athletics and lungs to a point, but not as much as people think. The main reason you should not start is once you start, you feel really bad unless you have another cigarrette. And feeling bad can last months. Not worth getting dependent on something like that. Very important never to start. And Hookah is where a lot of people start.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
CCS said:
I seriously know lots of smokers who can run circles around me, and they are not on an athletics team or anything. And they jog and smoke at the same time.

That's some committed nicotine freaks right there: won't even go for a run without lighting up - if any of them are pipe smokers I'm massively impressed....

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Did a (slow) eight miles yesterday. Furthest I've ever run.

Only hurts when I walk. Or stand.

Any other masochistic runners out there?

ali777

Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
Did a (slow) eight miles yesterday. Furthest I've ever run.

Only hurts when I walk. Or stand.

Any other masochistic runners out there?

Nah... Did only 2-3 miles yesterday, it's enough to keep me going :dunno:

I used to do 6 miles (10k) 3 times a week back in 2006. Once I got used to it, it was piece of cake.

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
I have run a mile in about 8 minutes. I think the only way to lower my time would be to run everyday. Otherwise, I am going to be around the 8 minute mark, which would be considered ok.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
No need to jog every day, a good half hour run about every three days is working well for me. Unfortunately if I pound the pavements any more than that my shins start to suffer - this is me to a tee: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cyber ... plints.htm

Going to be moving to the coast fairly soon, miles of sandy beach to ease the strain.

ali, why such a lazy approach compared to '06? Old age? :)

charlesezell

Reaction score
I agree with your ideas,more or less.I think its easy days easy,hard days hard.Always leave your best running for the races.Its rather than doing that last rep all out, or an extra rep just because people think they can,they also know when to call it a day and save that last bit in the tank for race day when they need it.