How fast or slow do you run a mile?

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
i just ran a mile in 6.55,just wondering what other peoples times are and what a healthy 28 yr old male should be aiming to do,any ideas?

ive pretty much neglected running for a while and im trying to get healthy.

ali777

Reaction score
I used to time myself, and my aim was to do 8 min miles in average. I've never done just one mile and time myself, my guess is that my time would be around the same as yours.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
Cassin said:
I could be wrong...but shouldn't you be more concerned with your average time over a distance and not just 1 mile?

ahuh probably.....i just wondered as thats what i ran this evening

i used to do 4 miles in about 30 minutes when i was 21 but ive not exactly been healthy since then.........just looking to see what might be expected of me at 28 :)

ali777

Reaction score
It's not that you are less healthy now, it's more about the loss of stamina. I'm sure if you exercise a bit more regularly, 4 miles in 30 mins isn't that difficult.

I cycled to a friend's place today, my guess is that I did a 10 mile round trip. I was really surprised with how tired I was when I got home. The most I've cycled in one day is 35 miles, and now I get tired with 10 miles.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
ali777 said:
It's not that you are less healthy now, it's more about the loss of stamina. I'm sure if you exercise a bit more regularly, 4 miles in 30 mins isn't that difficult.

I cycled to a friend's place today, my guess is that I did a 10 mile round trip. I was really surprised with how tired I was when I got home. The most I've cycled in one day is 35 miles, and now I get tired with 10 miles.

lol im definitely less healthy now than i was ten years ago,but im healthier now than i was last year and the year before that.I wanna be in peak physical condition by the time im 30,everyone else i know is either too lazy or too stoned or too busy working to be healthy,i want at least another 50 years on this planet!

Cassin

Reaction score
Hans Gruber said:
lol im definitely less healthy now than i was ten years ago,but im healthier now than i was last year and the year before that.I wanna be in peak physical condition by the time im 30,everyone else i know is either too lazy or too stoned or too busy working to be healthy,i want at least another 50 years on this planet!

Excellent post...here we are at the heart of the matter!

From what I have observed it would seem right around 30 is when most people start neglecting themselves if they're the type to ever be out of shape and unhealthy in their life.

Its also when all the fun and neglect begins to call in its debt. Bags under the eyes, a few wrinkles around the eyes, suddenly can't bounce back from hang overs like you once could.....:$

I am in awful shape...worst of my life and I am quite tired of it. I am making a appointment with my physician to get everything checked...see where I am at with my health. Its time for wellness to be a top priority and get back to where I was...oh.........8 years ago. I am such a busy person and I have used that as a excuse to not do the simple things to stay healthy like exercise a few times a week and prepare my own food.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Don't know about the mile, not run one for an age, but my thrice weekly 4-mile jog is getting down towards the 28-minute mark. Not exactly stunning, I know, but it's no worse than I could manage a decade ago (at age 20) and I've gained the best part of three stone in the interim. Mainly muscle, I hasten to add.

ali777

Reaction score
Hans Gruber said:
ali777 said:

I'm 30 and I'm the lightest I've been for more than 10 years. When I was your age I was running 6 miles regularly. My thought was that I needed to sort my life out, and I've made some changes. I hardly consume any alcohol now. The only time I drink is when I go clubbing. I don't even have a pint when I watch football, I just have orange juice instead.

For me it's not about being at my peak or whatever. It's more about making it to 40 in a good shape and being happy with my life.

I can see most of my friends are getting fat from sitting in front of the computer, I keep telling them that they should at least try jogging or something but they are too lazy to do it.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Still not attempted the single mile, but I did do a two miler this morning in 13mins 28. My previous attempt at said distance was back in March, in which I ran at 7 minute/mile pace until exhaustion and pain brought me to a shuddering halt with over a quarter mile to go.

Petchsky

Reaction score
No idea, but i can walk a mile in 10 mins, but thats not what your asking now is it :shakehead:

Petchsky

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Petchsky!!!!!!!!!!!

How ya been?

I've been good, not running five minute miles though. Getting a H/T over the next few months so i'll be a sticking around, and doing my best to impart the knowledge i have to help others, and post pointless drivel! :)

ali777

Reaction score
I tried a high tempo mile yesterday, I didn't time it but my guess is that I was at 6-6.30min/mile pace. I'm afraid to say, I couldn't complete the mile and I had to stop.

I think I should aim 7-7.30min/mile first and then try sub 7.

Shall I add that I'm a smoker?

kadosh

Established Member
Reaction score
if you couldnt finish the mile then you definitely started to fast . smoking dosent help but you should be able to finish a mile imo.

what's adding 5Kg got to do with buzzing your hair ?

ali777

Reaction score
kadosh said:
if you couldnt finish the mile then you definitely started to fast . smoking dosent help but you should be able to finish a mile imo.

what's adding 5Kg got to do with buzzing your hair ?

Well, I did finish the mile, but after a bit of a breather... my point was that I didn't finish it at 6min/mile tempo. I probably did it in under 7.30, but I was trying to do a mile at a tempo I thought I might be able to handle.

I'm a bit slim, if my neck was thicker I wouldn't mind very short hair.. But at the moment I don't think short hair suits me.

Reaction score
The best 1 mile time I ever ran was 5 min. 45 sec. but that was back when I was in good cardiovascular shape a few years ago at age 18. It's a relatively good time but it's nothing spectacular. I knew a bunch of kids who ran sub 5 min. miles. I haven't done any running since then and I've been living a pretty unhealthy lifestyle. I would say if I tried to run right now I would get somewhere between 6:30-7 min. being realistic. I don't think I'd ever run a mile in over 7 minutes though unless my leg was injured or if I had a serious breathing problem. I'm still young though (currently 20 y/o).