how effective is finisteride every other day?

Amata

My Regimen
Reaction score
I read about this somewhere on here but can no longer find the thread. What is the difference (research on percentages) in terms of the effectiveness of taking 1mg finisteride every other day as opposed to every day? Do I remember right that it's about 80% as effective? Anyone have any links to research on this? And has anyone personally tried it and can recommend it or not?

Inigo1202

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride DHT reduction lasts for 7-8 hours. But the reduction curve is pretty flat; 0.5 mg almost works as good as 5 mg.

I would rather take 0.5 mg every day than 1 mg every other day. It's quite more effective this way.

corkmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
Finasteride DHT reduction lasts for 7-8 hours. But the reduction curve is pretty flat; 0.5 mg almost works as good as 5 mg.

I would rather take 0.5 mg every day than 1 mg every other day. It's quite more effective this way.
7-8 hours? Nonsense.

INT

Reaction score

No... You are confusing half-life (a couple of hours) vs DHT inhibition (a couple of days).

Taking 0.5 mg ED is definitely not 'quite more effective' than 1 mg EOD.

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I made a thread on this and no one answered. There’s Australian doctors on YouTube who recommend 1mg three times a week, bc one finasteride pill supresses dht for 4 days

Throwaway198

My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience. I actually did a skype consult with one of the docs and took a 1 mg pill - 3 times/week. My hair had improved considerably within a month. The thin curly hair strands thickened up and got straighter and I was able to style it like before.

However, I stopped because I want to get a blood test with it out of my system, and then take it again and take another blood test after to test if it causes any issues with liver function. I've come across numerous articles about people having elevated liver enzymes on and it scared me.

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I made a thread on this and no one answered. There’s Australian doctors on YouTube who recommend 1mg three times a week, bc one finasteride pill supresses dht for 4 days
which is true because as INT user said half life is one thing, but what matters is the time that dht needs to return to the original level (3/4 days)

Amata

My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience. I actually did a skype consult with one of the docs and took a 1 mg pill - 3 times/week. My hair had improved considerably within a month. The thin curly hair strands thickened up and got straighter and I was able to style it like before.

However, I stopped because I want to get a blood test with it out of my system, and then take it again and take another blood test after to test if it causes any issues with liver function. I've come across numerous articles about people having elevated liver enzymes on and it scared me.
improving your hair visibly within a month sounds more like magic than finasteride. but what did you find out about its impact on your liver?

Anthony_smith01

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay- according to those Australian doctors- 3mg per week split into 1mg Mon,We’d,Fri is the minimum dosage for finasteride to work BUT they also stress it would depend on the person, age and level of progression. There’s no magic formula for all and their advice is see what works for you.

Anthony_smith01

My Regimen
Reaction score
What’s also interesting is that they said even at small doses it accumulates in your system over time which can be bad so to avoid that- simply quite for a month up to 2 months at the very most- every 5-6 months then resume again.

Throwaway198

My Regimen
Reaction score
improving your hair visibly within a month sounds more like magic than finasteride. but what did you find out about its impact on your liver?
Not when its slow as mine is. I didn't regrow any hairs, mind you. It thickened my existing hairs to the point where I could style it better. I took it couple of years back and the effect was the same within a month of taking it daily that time.

I'm going to consult a Doctor and take some blood tests this week to ascertain current function. If everything's okay, I'll take it again and retest 3 months later and keep at it if it's okay.