How Does Balding Affect Your Professional Career?

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have decades of achievements in your career, balding is a sign of wisdom, power and respect.

However in the context of this forum, a balding man younger than 45 is likely to have a significantly more difficult time progressing in their career, maintaining employment, and they will likely earn on average less than their full haired peers. This has been shown time and time again, and even factors into political elections.

Fun fact - having a NW0 adolecent hairline may also harm your career slightly (at least in western culture).

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have decades of achievements in your career, balding is a sign of wisdom, power and respect.

However in the context of this forum, a balding man younger than 45 is likely to have a significantly more difficult time progressing in their career, maintaining employment, and they will likely earn on average less than their full haired peers. This has been shown time and time again, and even factors into political elections.

Fun fact - having a NW0 adolecent hairline may also harm your career slightly (at least in western culture).

mind showing a source to where was it shown time and time again that balding men under the age of 45 will have all those issues compared to their full haired peers?

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One of Trump's rules for success is "never get bald". Maybe he knows what he is talking about

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think it really has any lasting effect if you have technical skills in any chosen field along with discipline, good social skills, hygiene, dress sense blah blah blah. Sure you may be passed up on some promotion, but in the end you'll get what you should have, but perhaps in another place. None of us are running for any Presidency or Hollywood actor position it's not really relevant. Balding just affects attraction (in any already attractive person) and/or self esteem with or without bullying. That said, being attractive has it's benefits at work such as having perhaps a nicer role within the place, colleagues are kinder, better grading e.t.c. Nothing that is too dramatic without hair if you fulfil the other criteria. Of course if you have a more standard job, things may be totally different where the human element is stronger and achievements don't matter as much. In that case, it really comes down to who is on good terms with the boss. With actual core technical qualifications, none of this has a significant impact.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends on your line of work. Tech giybthat knows his sheet probably isny going to be affected like the guy or girl who deals with the public on a regular basis. Basically in a nutshell.

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
really because If I remember right I once saw a study that showed that if you're good looking you might have problems getting into certain jobs/passing certain interviews, basically the boss who looks less good than you will not give you the job because of that.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Studies show better looking people are more successful.
My girl is very successful and I always told her it was because when she was younger (when we met) she was insanely hot. She argued this fact to me until we went to a gathering her boss who she praised as giving her her first real shot was at. He openly said to her "I remember when we first interviewed you I told (some name) you better hire this girl shes gorgeous". She also works in hiring herself now and says if two people come in equally qualified but one is good looking the better looking person, even if slightly less qualified, will more than likely get hired because they can train them for the job. I know for a 100% fact I was hired at my early jobs because I was good looking. Losing your hair makes you older and uglier so it impairs your chances at getting hired and also makes you have to work harder than someone who isnt. One of my bosses said when her husband lost his job the first thing they did was dye his hair to make him look younger or he was screwed. Thats just being grey, now add on balding.

now add on any psychological and emotional issues it could cause you.

NAVI

Established Member
Reaction score
Good looks create a halo effect and people associate them with intelligence and desired personality traits. So they definitely help. If the role is client facing or being in public, they have a huge role to play in interviews, in technical roles also , people are perceived to be more intelligent who have good looks. In short ,People want to be with beautiful people, So they definitely help.

ImKaratekid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your in the board room for an important job interview. Two people walk in - the young guy with great hair, and the older NW6 guy. Who are you more scared of.
First of all, look at your question - you literally state that the bald one is the older one. Yes I will probably be more scared of the older one since I would assume he has more experience, but it is because he is older, not because he is bald.
You can say eldery is sign of wisdom maybe, not baldness.
Yes usually older people are more likely be balding, but it doesnt matter, you talking about someone with achievements and career, that we know of, so his look doesnt really matter. I have in my work place several people in high positions, some are bald some are not, I respect each one based on his achievement and talent/wisdom, not based on their hair.

Bottom line, believe me, you can be sure baldness wont bring you anywhere further that you would get to with nw0. In some cases, probably will just limit you - look at Elon Musk for exmample, do you really think he would get to where he is without his hair transplant? never. Again Im not talking about all cases (jeff besos is a different case) depend on the your characteristic and career path.

randolf_faust

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good looks create a halo effect and people associate them with intelligence and desired personality traits. So they definitely help. If the role is client facing or being in public, they have a huge role to play in interviews, in technical roles also , people are perceived to be more intelligent who have good looks. In short ,People want to be with beautiful people, So they definitely help.
yes but on the other hand there is also studies that show that people tend to hire and promote people who look similar to them.and personally i wouldnt like to even to hire a guy who looks like a hearthrob. when you are in sales good looks definitely helps. in other professsion where you surrounded by 95% other men who are in particual well shape either look isnt that important