How Do You Guys Prep Your Scalp For Best Adhesion?

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I want to know the steps for prepping your scalp for best adhesion especially for someone with dandruff problem.

Also, is it normal for the tape to come off with a bit of hard pull if you have just applied it? I put the tape on and it started coming off with a bit of hard pull, I wonder if it's normal? Should I let it cure for a day so it can get sturdy?

I just cleaned the scalp with 70% alcohol pad and put the walker's blue liner tape on.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

A couple of things. First of all, consider using a scalp prep product like Walkers Mac Hold Sport, it prepares. a good base for the adhesive.

Secondly, all adhesives need time to cure. If you pull off the tape if will come off.

Walker doesn't make a product called "Blue Liner", the make "Lace Front Support" that has a blue liner in roll form, along with "Ultra Hold Minis" that have a blue liner. Ultra-hold has a longer hold time than the Lace Front.

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

A couple of things. First of all, consider using a scalp prep product like Walkers Mac Hold Sport, it prepares. a good base for the adhesive.

Secondly, all adhesives need time to cure. If you pull off the tape if will come off.

Walker doesn't make a product called "Blue Liner", the make "Lace Front Support" that has a blue liner in roll form, along with "Ultra Hold Minis" that have a blue liner. Ultra-hold has a longer hold time than the Lace Front.

Thanks for the response BB, could you please tell me how long it takes for the bond to become solid? I am afraid that if I go out while it's still fresh and a jerk friend of mine pulls my hair, it'll come off in public because it did when I pulled after an hour of application.

Also, is it okay to use 70% alcohol swab to clean the scalp?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the response BB, could you please tell me how long it takes for the bond to become solid? I am afraid that if I go out while it's still fresh and a jerk friend of mine pulls my hair, it'll come off in public because it did when I pulled after an hour of application.

Also, is it okay to use 70% alcohol swab to clean the scalp?

If your "jerk friend" pulls your hair, I am going to guess he's not your friend.

We generally tell folks to wait twelve hours before major sweat-inducing activity for twelve hours after attachment. And it can take up to a full 24 hours to cure. A good scalp prep using a scalp protector can shorten that significantly.

It takes a lot to pull these systems off, even after you first bond them. That is why you can style the system with brush and blow-dryer right after attachment. It also depends on the direction the hair is pulled. If you try and peel from the edges, it is possible it can come up. If you just apply tension to the hair, as in styling, it won't.

For example... my system is on for six days now, and I bond exclusively with tape. Last night I peeled back the hairline to adjust a slight crease that was driving me crazy. I adjusted it, and re-positioned the front. This morning, as I write this post, if I pull the hair at the front of my system any direction but straight up, it doesn't move at all. If I pull the hair at the front up, and back, it will come up. It has to do with physics, which I am NOT an expert in.

99% alcohol is better at cleaning than 70%.

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
If your "jerk friend" pulls your hair, I am going to guess he's not your friend.

We generally tell folks to wait twelve hours before major sweat-inducing activity for twelve hours after attachment. And it can take up to a full 24 hours to cure. A good scalp prep using a scalp protector can shorten that significantly.

It takes a lot to pull these systems off, even after you first bond them. That is why you can style the system with brush and blow-dryer right after attachment. It also depends on the direction the hair is pulled. If you try and peel from the edges, it is possible it can come up. If you just apply tension to the hair, as in styling, it won't.

For example... my system is on for six days now, and I bond exclusively with tape. Last night I peeled back the hairline to adjust a slight crease that was driving me crazy. I adjusted it, and re-positioned the front. This morning, as I write this post, if I pull the hair at the front of my system any direction but straight up, it doesn't move at all. If I pull the hair at the front up, and back, it will come up. It has to do with physics, which I am NOT an expert in.

99% alcohol is better at cleaning than 70%.

I see, yes I was pulling the hairs on the edge, I guess i'll have to wait for 12 hours to see how it works out. As for the prep process, here's what i've understood:

1. Wash the scalp with regular shampoo
2. Clean it with 99% alcohol using a clean cloth
3. Put on scalp protector
4. Put on the tape on scalp
5. Carefully place the hair system on it
6. Let it cure for 12 hours at least

Did I get it all?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I see, yes I was pulling the hairs on the edge, I guess i'll have to wait for 12 hours to see how it works out. As for the prep process, here's what i've understood:

1. Wash the scalp with regular shampoo
2. Clean it with 99% alcohol using a clean cloth
3. Put on scalp protector
4. Put on the tape on scalp
5. Carefully place the hair system on it
6. Let it cure for 12 hours at least

Did I get it all?

Almost.

You put the tape on the system, and then put the system on your head.

Also, I use a scalp antiperspirant after the alcohol wipe down.

Noah

Reaction score
Good instructions there from BB. I would just add that you may well be able to get away with a lot less than that. Personally I don't normally use scalp protector or anti-perspirant - I have them in the cupboard but I would only use them if I was going to be doing something exceptionally taxing and sweaty; otherwise I don't need them. Also, I find that my adhesive is totally solid and cured after about 4 hours; I don't have to wait the 12 hours that they say on the bottle. So experiment - by all means start conservatively as BB described (especially if you have jokers pulling your hair) but you will probably find if you experiment that it doesn't have to be that long-winded.

The two points I would make are: (1) for the curing period (4 hours in my case) it is crucial that you keep the adhesive dry - so no sweating, showering, swimming etc. at all during that time, otherwise it really does wreck your bond, and it may also turn the adhesive white and visible, in which case you have to start all over again. And (2) don't just try to extend the period between maintenance by as long as possible. Sure, you can probably keep the system on securely for 3 weeks+, but that is not the aim. The aim should be to get a routine which fits into your lifestyle and balances hygiene with the ability to get on with your life without too much fuss over your hair. Keeping the hair in place for 3 weeks is not hygienic, the glue degrades, mixes with your body oils and gets gunky and hard to remove, and that takes a toll on the system when you come to clean up. 10 - 12 days is a better timeframe to aim for.

Noah