How do you deal with hair growth under the system? + Servicing

TDY2192

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm fairly new here but really appreciate all the tips and insight as someone looking into hair systems. I apologize if this question is redundant, but how do those of you with systems deal with hair growth underneath the system? I realize that you must shave existing hair under the system at each cleaning, but how frequently must this be done, and how do you prevent the hair system from painfully waxing out hair or ripping out the skin underneath upon detachment?

I'm at about a Norwood 2.5 with a pretty thin top (but still have hair all over) and think that an all-lace unit for the top would be appropriate, but am concerned about ripping whatever growth may occur underneath and injuring myself. On that note, I am considering starting at a salon to learn the ropes, and transitioning to DIY. Another question - how frequently can I expect service, and for those of you who have experience with this, what can I expect? I've read on here that many people clean their system weekly, but it seems like a salon service would clean the unit every 2 weeks. I workout about 4-5x a week, but aside from that don't sweat terribly.

Thanks so much for any help; this used to give me a lot of anxiety, as I'm losing my hair pretty young, but am really thankful that this could be a possibility! I hope this question helps others that are in the same boat too.

Jack91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi
If they do a perimiter bond, just abound the sides and the back, the hair can grow underneath the piece without too much problem. The only bit you have to watch out for is the front of the unit, where it needs to be taped down. When the unit is removed they will shave the growing hair and then reattach the unit. The growing hair can cause a bit of itching, however that depends on each individual.

The frequency of a service depends on the security of the bond and how much hair you have under the system. Unfortunately, it is a little to difficult to tell how you will respond to the bond.

Cheers Jack.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Welcome, I have replied to your PM, but just for the general audience I wanted to post a few lines here. DIY is really not that difficult once you know what you need and how and when to use it.

You will save yourself a fortune over time, have more privacy and end up with better results. And thats the main thing. A hair system should be a long term sustainable option and that means for most of us - no clinics. To give you an idea, I spend under £500 ($800) a year including all my hair systems, cut ins, barber visits and products. A clinic will charge that for one visit and often a whole heap more!

These clinics will drag you in as much as they reasonably can and charge you every time. They are not in the business of educating their customers as that means independence.

I have never had an issue with ripping natural hair. Usually a hair system will give signals that its time to remove and clean. At this point, you can lift off. If you need more help then something like C22 makes it even easier to lift off.

You can clipper shave to a number 1 or 2. No need to razor shave.

Generally the amount of time you go between pit stops will be determined by a) bond you use b) your body chemistry c) climate d) lifestyle - some people pit stop every 10-days and others 4-weeks. In time you will find your optimum.

Wearing a system will not make you itch any more than going without (in my experience) and best of all it doesnt inhibit your ability to attack that itch :)

Its really easier than you think. You are on the cust of great hair and an exciting time. Be brave and be bold and take that risk. It will work out fine.

If you want a double insurance, then you will need 2 systems a year but buy them at the same time. You then have an emergency piece and it wont cost any more.

TDY2192

Reaction score
^Thanks again Jack91 and Grincher for all of those tips! This is very helpful! I'm hoping as I get this process started I can update for others in a similar situation.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
4 weeks with a piece attached...isn't that too much?
Think about all the sebum build-up, wouldn't it start to smell badly?
Can't the scalp get infected?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
4 weeks with a piece attached...isn't that too much?
Think about all the sebum build-up, wouldn't it start to smell badly?
Can't the scalp get infected?

personally I go 2 to 3-weeks depending on the weather and my activity, washing 1-2 times a week with shampoo and at other times with warm water.

How would it get infected? Just like any other part of the body, if you have a healthy scalp you wont get any infection? I have never had any scalp issues in all the years.

Eddyhairwanter

My Regimen
Reaction score
Welcome, I have replied to your PM, but just for the general audience I wanted to post a few lines here. DIY is really not that difficult once you know what you need and how and when to use it.

You will save yourself a fortune over time, have more privacy and end up with better results. And thats the main thing. A hair system should be a long term sustainable option and that means for most of us - no clinics. To give you an idea, I spend under £500 ($800) a year including all my hair systems, cut ins, barber visits and products. A clinic will charge that for one visit and often a whole heap more!

These clinics will drag you in as much as they reasonably can and charge you every time. They are not in the business of educating their customers as that means independence.

I have never had an issue with ripping natural hair. Usually a hair system will give signals that its time to remove and clean. At this point, you can lift off. If you need more help then something like C22 makes it even easier to lift off.

You can clipper shave to a number 1 or 2. No need to razor shave.

Generally the amount of time you go between pit stops will be determined by a) bond you use b) your body chemistry c) climate d) lifestyle - some people pit stop every 10-days and others 4-weeks. In time you will find your optimum.

Wearing a system will not make you itch any more than going without (in my experience) and best of all it doesnt inhibit your ability to attack that itch :)

Its really easier than you think. You are on the cust of great hair and an exciting time. Be brave and be bold and take that risk. It will work out fine.

If you want a double insurance, then you will need 2 systems a year but buy them at the same time. You then have an emergency piece and it wont cost any more.

Hey I'm new to this and I don't want to get ripped off.. you say you spend $800 a year, I would love to be able to spend that.. Please fill me in on how you do this? What website do you buy your hair from ? and did you have to go to a clinic your first time? how do you learn how to apply the system ? I have a lot to learn but like I said would love it to be affordable, I'm only 24 and would like to get ontop of it now for the long term. I'm quite an active guy and sweat a lot , is that okay?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Eddy

You can get very high quality custom hair systems on-line for around US$200-250 each. You need to factor in the price of a cut-in - say US$75 each. So let's say $325 per system after cut-in. Each system should last 4 or 5 months, 6 if you're careful, but let's say you need 2.25 systems a year - that's $734 a year, leaving you $66 to spend on adhesives and alcohol, which is more than ample.

Noah

Eddyhairwanter

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tha
Hi Eddy

You can get very high quality custom hair systems on-line for around US$200-250 each. You need to factor in the price of a cut-in - say US$75 each. So let's say $325 per system after cut-in. Each system should last 4 or 5 months, 6 if you're careful, but let's say you need 2.25 systems a year - that's $734 a year, leaving you $66 to spend on adhesives and alcohol, which is more than ample.

Noah

Thanks for that information, is there somewhere that I can learn everything I need to know ? As in- Where to buy, how to apply, how to maintain ect ect
Is it best to get full top system?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Hi Eddy

Noah
Where do you suggest I get a cut-in done in Eastern Europe?

Thanks!