How do I tell, if I'm losing bond?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
When should I panic and run to the local hair studio to get it reattached? What are the symptoms of losing bond, the hair system lifting etc? Thank you!

To me it seems fine right now, but I'm a total beginner.

shookwun

Reaction score
Why would you go to the hair studio to get it re-attached?

Did they teach, and provide you with the right tools to de, and re-attach the system?

Should be routinely doing it yourself to ensure a clean scalp.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Why would you go to the hair studio to get it re-attached?

Did they teach, and provide you with the right tools to de, and re-attach the system?

Should be routinely doing it yourself to ensure a clean scalp.
Because I just got it like yesterday and I'm not firm enough in myself yet. Definitely need support the first few times I'm doing it. Applying it seems really difficult, needs to be done so accurately. I can't imagine myself doing it alone with no help.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
I want to know this too, OP. Any hair piece wearers want to chime in?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A little bit of lift shouldnt require a trip to your salon. That can be easily sorted at home if you have been shown or seen some youtube.

As a rookie, it will take you a few months to understand the combination of adhesive, your own body chemistry and lifestyle - that will eventually give you forewarning of the reattachment period.

Initially, if you need to push it down at back and sides then the adhesive is starting to break down. You will just feel a difference is the adhesive.

As long as you are not planning on swimming, it should be ok for up to a week, but you would probably want to book an appointment.

Ultimately, you should work to DIY so you can do all this at home when you need to

shookwun

Reaction score
@Fanjerra go to hairdirect and their are a video tutorials on all steps involved with hair systems.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
@Fanjerra go to hairdirect and their are a video tutorials on all steps involved with hair systems.
yeah, i've watched most of them several times already, but they don't answer all my question unfortunately. still, the best site around for hair system wearers

- - - Updated - - -

What does a lifted hairpiece look like?

Noah

Reaction score
No need for panic. Hairpiece glue doesn't just suddenly fail. It remains tacky, so that even if you do get a bit of lace-lift, you can just press it down into the glue again and you are good to go.

How long you will get depends on the glue and on your body chemistry, as others have said. Start conservatively - say 4 days - and gradually extend the period between attachments till you find what is right for you.

Most importantly, the lifespan of an attachment should not be based on whether the glue is still strong. You should be taking your system off when the glue is still strong. Don't leave it till the glue is weakening, for two reasons. First, it doesn't feel good if you are walking around knowing that your attachment is weak. Second, if the glue is weakening it is because it is deteriorating - mixing with the oils on your scalp and becoming gummy and messy. If you are wearing a lace base it can start to seep into the lace mesh or into your hair, which makes for a very messy difficult clean-up, and can damage the piece permanently.

I check my hairline attachment every morning after I shave just by giving it a robust tug. If you do notice a bit of lace-lift, you don't have to re-do the whole attachment - you can just repair the bit that is lifting by applying a tiny drop of glue on a toothpick.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
No need for panic. Hairpiece glue doesn't just suddenly fail. It remains tacky, so that even if you do get a bit of lace-lift, you can just press it down into the glue again and you are good to go.

How long you will get depends on the glue and on your body chemistry, as others have said. Start conservatively - say 4 days - and gradually extend the period between attachments till you find what is right for you.

Most importantly, the lifespan of an attachment should not be based on whether the glue is still strong. You should be taking your system off when the glue is still strong. Don't leave it till the glue is weakening, for two reasons. First, it doesn't feel good if you are walking around knowing that your attachment is weak. Second, if the glue is weakening it is because it is deteriorating - mixing with the oils on your scalp and becoming gummy and messy. If you are wearing a lace base it can start to seep into the lace mesh or into your hair, which makes for a very messy difficult clean-up, and can damage the piece permanently.

I check my hairline attachment every morning after I shave just by giving it a robust tug. If you do notice a bit of lace-lift, you don't have to re-do the whole attachment - you can just repair the bit that is lifting by applying a tiny drop of glue on a toothpick.

the glue has seeped inside lace mesh. how do i get remove it from there? even autoglym soak doesn't seem to work

shookwun

Reaction score
Soak the system in citrus solvent to loosen the glue & bond around hair follicles. get a very fine tooth comb and gently comb the hair free of glue strand-by-strand in the affected area

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Soak the system in citrus solvent to loosen the glue & bond around hair follicles. get a very fine tooth comb and gently comb the hair free of glue strand-by-strand in the affected area
it's not in the hair, but inside the mesh holes. perhaps a needle can clean it

Noah

Reaction score
I have seen naphtha (lighter fuel) being suggested as a solution to this. I have never used it myself. I realise it may be unhelpful of me to add: change your system weekly so that this doesn't happen. It is quicker in the long run, and your system will last longer and look better.

tuna123

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have nothing to add to this post, but need a few comments to activate account. Sorry and good luck!

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Bill from HD tells the same thing, but he says the maximum time could even be 3 weeks. But contrary to you he says the less you de- and reattach the longer the system will last (in another video; difficult to find because there are so many with so much random information)

he also says the minimum time, but the video goes to mute in that moment :( (20:20)
http://www.hairdirect.com/video/how-to/webcast-attachment-part7.aspx

at 00:41 he says 10 days or 2 weeks:
http://www.hairdirect.com/video/how-to/webcast-attachment-part3.aspx

also, shouldn't ghostbond last 4 to 6 weeks?