How Different Types Of Estrogen Promote (and Hinder) Hair Growth

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using estriol on hairline with crude oil massages.. my hairline has filled in. I'm on month 4. Very few have gone beyond 1cm.

I was taking it with finasteride and black cohosh and breast tissue started developing. Then I stopped finasteride and tried black cohosh and breast started growing again. Now I just do the estriol on hairline and no breasts.. will occasionally take black cohosh.

Black cohosh seems to be powerful in developing estrogen naturally

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using estriol on hairline with crude oil massages.. my hairline has filled in. I'm on month 4. Very few have gone beyond 1cm.

I was taking it with finasteride and black cohosh and breast tissue started developing. Then I stopped finasteride and tried black cohosh and breast started growing again. Now I just do the estriol on hairline and no breasts.. will occasionally take black cohosh.

Black cohosh seems to be powerful in developing estrogen naturally
Hmm I wonder if black cohosh and finasteride alone can help with hair regrowth

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using estriol on hairline with crude oil massages.. my hairline has filled in. I'm on month 4. Very few have gone beyond 1cm. I have tied many things and the hair just won't take off beyond 1 cm like wtf is going on.

I was taking it with black finasteride and breast tissue started developing. Then I stopped finasteride and tried black cohosh and breast started growing again. Now I just do the estriol on hairline and no breasts.. will occasionally take black cohosh.
Hmm I wonder if black cohosh and finasteride alone can help with hair regrowth
I thought it was the estriol going systematic but.. finasteride and black cohosh give me breast tissue. Estriol alone will not. Black cohosh by itself will even give me bresst tissue I assume because the estriol alone won't.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought it was the estriol going systematic but.. finasteride and black cohosh give me breast tissue. Estriol alone will not. Black cohosh by itself will even give me bresst tissue I assume because the estriol alone won't.
Does estriol give you sexual sides at all? Also, where do you get it, what’s your dosage/frequency of application and how do you apply it?

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
Does estriol give you sexual sides at all? Also, where do you get it, what’s your dosage/frequency of application and how do you apply it?
Nope. I can have sex regularly on finasteride or dutasteride etc. Just not as horny. Not as hard which is ok. When I stopped finasteride I got extremely horny but I don't notice it. I don't want to be a hornball.

I just take like a pea size on both temples and rub it in every day. Minus weekends cause I'm gone. And I use some stuff from in-house or all-day I forget but it's called evalon 15g

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope. I can have sex regularly on finasteride or dutasteride etc. Just not as horny. Not as hard which is ok. When I stopped finasteride I got extremely horny but I don't notice it. I don't want to be a hornball.

I just take like a pea size on both temples and rub it in every day. Minus weekends cause I'm gone. And I use some stuff from in-house or all-day I forget but it's called evalon 15g
Interesting, glad that you’re not experiencing any sides.

how effective is that sort of application on a diffuse thinner? I’d imagine rubbing it all over your scalp might make it go into your system

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score

how effective is that sort of application on a diffuse thinner? I’d imagine rubbing it all over your scalp might make it go into your system
I think there is a chance you won't because I feel more testosterone in me and no breasts unless I take finasteride or black cohosh. I use a lot on my temples. Your temples would absorb the most because i rub it into my forehead just below as well

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

In @pegasus2 success threat, he does mention that using 10mg (per day or per application idk) is side effect free for most, and is a good substitute if you are sensitive to AAs. I think combining topical 5ARI, AA, estriol + progesterone would be a nice combo. Estriol can be bought from china if you trust them enough.

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been using estriol on hairline with crude oil massages.. my hairline has filled in. I'm on month 4. Very few have gone beyond 1cm. I have tied many things and the hair just won't take off beyond 1 cm like wtf is going on.

I was taking it with black finasteride and breast tissue started developing. Then I stopped finasteride and tried black cohosh and breast started growing again. Now I just do the estriol on hairline and no breasts.. will occasionally take black cohosh.

How much estriok do you use per day? Once or twice a day?

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Thats your whole regime btw?

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
How much estriok do you use per day? Once or twice a day?
Once mainly but sometimes twice. I've been using loniten for few years but I stopped and switched to minoxidil. I've used minoxidil or loniten and finasteride for a while but never had a complete hairline fill-in.

Staticwavves

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here to the forum. I’ll try to keep this as brief as possible. Growing up I always had a nice thick head of hair. Balding doesn’t run in my family, however my brother has been balding pretty bad and always had me concerned for my future. At about 23 I started noticing my hair was looking sparse and thinning and had to switch hairstyles to start making things less noticeable. But I figured things were fine and I had hair. Fast forward to now. I’m 34 and about 3 years ago I started dealing with really really bad shedding/thinning. Nobody mentioned anything and just told me you lose hair daily. Which I understand. But between what falls out with brushing, and what comes off when I wash my hair exceeds the normal. Then I began losing my forelocks, the hair right in the middle front of my hairline and really began to get concerned. After much pushback I was able to get Finasteride prescribed about 6 months ago. I’ve also done minoxidil pretty steadily as well as Nizoral. But so far results have been negligible. I’ve yet to really get progress on my forelocks, but I do see some baby hairs coming in through my scalp as the rest of my hair is past my chin. Medically I have found some factors that could be contributing. When I tested my iron few years back my ferritin was so low. At 14. Currently it’s up to 83 so I’ve been able to get that up. Everything else is normal as far as labs go. As well as hormonal labs. The only way thing that is abnormal, is my testosterone is super high. Like through the roof high. Total, available, and free are all on the very very high end and there is no medical explanation as to why. My endocrinologist essentially is going with it’s just how my levels run. I’ve not experienced any side effects from Finasteride. High testosterone came before I started finasteride, so please don’t say finasteride is the cause. It’s not. My school of thought is due to my super high testosterone levels, I’m dealing with a much stronger DHT issue. So much so that I need something stronger like Dutasteride which is what I’m currently trying to persuade my doctor to write for me but so far no luck. Also dealt with dandruff scalp issues that I believe are causing inflammation in my follicles. All this being said, I value my hair number 1. And I’m willing to go to some extreme routes to gain back ground lost in thickness and overall growth. I’ve hovered over these forums a bit after seeing crazy results people were getting by using different hormones. I’m a cis male that’s looking to keep as much manliness that I can while regaining my hair. I understand this is a difficult balance and I’d really like some advice in regards to what hormonal route I could follow that is the least likely to give me side effects such as gyno etc. One other thing I’ll mention is dryness. I deal with really really dry hair which makes me have to lessen how often I can use Nizoral as well as very dry skin. Again not sure if super high testosterone is contributing due to my estrogen not being in balance and maybe I need more?

As far as hormonal routes go, what should I add to the mix besides finasteride, possibly Dutasteride? Would some form of estrogen like pills or cream be strong enough to produce hair growth while avoiding gyno? Thank you for any advice and or help on my journey. Seems like Estriol cream at a low dose is my best option.

ElToso

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been using estriol for 20 days. 40mg is too much for me, now I’m trying 20mg

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think of it this way:

Men may still have better hair growth on certain types of estrogen, but any estrogen is still going to be amazing for male hair. It has been shown time and time again that when men use estrogen, whether it's ethyl E, transdermal estradiol, oral estradiol, estriol, combined bioidentical estrogen's - it will be helpful. It's a different story for women. We see women losing their hair on combined oral contraceptives, bioidentical hormone treatment, and even when women have an excess of their own natural estrogen. The mechanisms behind this are not well understood, but men and women simply cannot apply the same formula to the same problem here. through my own reading, i have come to understand that women must have a very fine balance of natural estrogens. When this is thrown off, sh*t goes haywire. Women must have optimum activation of 17b oestrogen receptors. Men can just take pretty much any estrogen and it's going to be useful apart from the fact that that it turns them into a partial woman.
We have the hormonal site going pretty well again. Would love to see you drop in....

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is all great information, thank you all for your contributions.

I'm currently on oral minoxidil, fluridil, and cycling oral castor oil. I have actually got some regrowth on this regimen. The reason I am avoiding systemic/oral 5ARIs and AAs is because I am also an athlete, and so you can see why I personally want to keep my androgens high, at least systemically. Though I am pleased with the maintenance and slight re-growth (some vellus along with some seemingly random terminal hairs), I still have stubborn temples (my loss is only on the hairline), and so I'm considering CB or possibly RU to help fill in the area better. Reading over some of the people who have gone "the hormonal route", it seems though that adding something like estriol could be a catalyst for regrowth as well. I just want to add something to give these vellus areas a boost without systemic levels of T and DHT to be dropping much, if possible. I realize this is a tall order but I was just wondering what the most viable options would be for a situation like this. Thank you.

Avacado

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@ElToso and @Youcandoit , where are you buying your Estriol from? If you use powder, are you just mixing with a solution and dropping on as if it were minoxidil or any other topical?

ElToso

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I bought it on alibabà. The vehicle I used was 70% ethanol 30% Pg. Soon I will start estriol again at a lower dosage, I think 5-10mg.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am sure that mixing and buying the ingredients is cheaper but if you just want to procure estrogen, Amazon has several types which are nominally for menopause but MtF's look for good deals or reliable quick shipping without the need for a prescription as highly important. They often arrive in one day now but I switched to Estrogel in June of last year.