How close are we to FUE using hair cloning?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nah it's not, the cell cultures happen outside of the body and the risk isn't there according to Stemson.
In fairness what else is Stemson going to say? Are they going to say "it might cause cancer, invest in us so that we can find out"?

That said, I don't think there is much risk either. This could happen in culture and they can remove any bad cells. As long as none sneak through and get implanted then there should be no risk.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
In fairness what else is Stemson going to say? Are they going to say "it might cause cancer, invest in us so that we can find out"?

That said, I don't think there is much risk either. This could happen in culture and they can remove any bad cells. As long as none sneak through and get implanted then there should be no risk.
Not openly no, but they might suggest that a safety profile will have to be established through trials. Alexey point blank just said no it's not an issue, where as he pointed out a lot of other potential issues and roadblocks in the same interview.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not openly no, but they might suggest that a safety profile will have to be established through trials. Alexey point blank just said no it's not an issue, where as he pointed out a lot of other potential issues and roadblocks in the same interview.
None of the other issues he pointed out are things that can't/haven't been overcome. Cancer is a pretty big deal, and he didn't exactly say point blank it's not possible. He hemmed and hawed for a minute before saying "I'm less concerned in humans" and "I don't think this is a real kind of danger".

Milkonos

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The real question is, should we all invest in hair-cloning technologies and get rich in a decade or two ? Are these technologies the new Bitcoin ?

DJC

My Regimen
Reaction score
After watching replicel fail so horribly, I have my doubts these companies will be able to succeed. You have 3 ways this can fail.

1. Cancerous tumors as a side effect. No way the fda approves it.
2. Body rejects the cloned hair and it just falls out.
3. The cloned hair follicles don't grow for multiple cycles.

Lots of research has to be done. Even if phase 1 comes out with excellent results, a lot of tests have to be done before it becomes available to the public (those who can afford it). Stemson is doing trials on pigs now, not humans, the company could run out of money before they hit human trials. I'd give it 10 years assuming successful phase 1. If not successful, I'd say 20 years at least.

When are the pig skin trials suppose to begin? How long until you think we will get an update on whether it worked or not. Do you know were I can find info on these trials so I can stay up to date? I couldn't find anything about it on their websites.

DJC

My Regimen
Reaction score
"During this brief interaction at the conference, Youngjet was told by Dr. Tsuji that the price for Tsuji’s/Organ Technologies’ hair cloning treatment would be around $200,000 to $350,000 per person and that clinical trials were soon to begin."

I would think that this price would be much closer to FUE prices as you do not have to extract the donor hair.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
"During this brief interaction at the conference, Youngjet was told by Dr. Tsuji that the price for Tsuji’s/Organ Technologies’ hair cloning treatment would be around $200,000 to $350,000 per person and that clinical trials were soon to begin."

I would think that this price would be much closer to FUE prices as you do not have to extract the donor hair.
Assuming this actually works, it is more expensive because it sounds like extracting 100 hairs can lead to 10000 cloned hairs. So basically a norwood 7 could get full dense coverage. It costs a premium because of supply and demand. No other clinic could offer this technology.

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Assuming this actually works, it is more expensive because it sounds like extracting 100 hairs can lead to 10000 cloned hairs. So basically a norwood 7 could get full dense coverage. It costs a premium because of supply and demand. No other clinic could offer this technology.
Its cost alot just for the process of the transplant itself. 10k would take days just to transplant. Cloning it would take 2 weeks (based on what tsuji said in the past) . So as long its take that long its will cost alot no matter what.

DJC

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its cost alot just for the process of the transplant itself. 10k would take days just to transplant. Cloning it would take 2 weeks (based on what tsuji said in the past) . So as long its take that long its will cost alot no matter what.
More than a quarter of a million dollars for a hair transplant is ridiculous and over-priced. Looks like it's a FUE from a top notch doctor (over seas) for me.

DJC

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does the patent mean only his clinic can perform it? I assumed the technology would be avail to all FUE doctors to perform, therefor allowing competitive pricing.

H

Reaction score
All the same optimism has been there in the past.

No, not just among the stupider and less-informed people. Many of the smartest & most well-read ones in the hair loss community have believed we were close before. More than once. Today is not the first time we've had highly-educated guys with medical backgrounds breathlessly picking apart every new press release, patent filing, etc. <-- NONE OF THIS is new.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the present. But I'm not dumb enough to think there isn't room for this stuff to fail.

The failures are often unpredictable. That's the whole reason why those past companies were able to raise enough funding to fail. The investors & researchers of 20 years ago were not saying "Well, this stuff is nowhere near a commercial product. But it's our duty to lose money & effort on this for a decade before we cut our losses. The investors & researchers of the future can benefit from it." That's not how it works. 20 years ago the smartest people in the room believed they were within sight of a commercial product, just like today.
This is one of the most clear headed posts I've seen on this site lately. I get being optimistic for your own sanity that's great I'm happy for those people but saying that it is anything more than wishful thinking is unfortunately nonsense. Now I get no one can predict the future so some successful treatment could come out of left field tomorrow but this is unpredictable and no one would be able to discern what variable actually made it successful until after the fact. So for the time being the only thing concrete we can go off of is the past performance of the hair loss industry as a whole which is horrible but reliable thus far. The pace of the research, the novelty of the treatment, the charisma of the researchers, and the promising timelines have meant jack sh*t when it comes to commercialization.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
if stemson will cost 100k for full head of hair for average joe it would be gerat