How Can I Add A Diy Poly Perimeter To A Lace Unit?

David1776

My Regimen
Reaction score
I ordered a stock lace unit without poly perimeter. Is there any way I can add a poly strip to this myself, what do I need, and where can I source it? Thanks!

Noah

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm not sure that's realistically possible.

If you could get hold of the correct poly material, you could try cutting out the right shape (not easy, because it is a 3-D shape), pinning it to a polythene wig head, coating the surface of the poly strip with strong glue, and then applying the unit on top of it. But it could end up a mess. Probably better just to buy one, and keep the rimless one as a back-up.

David1776

My Regimen
Reaction score
Noah, Thank you for your reply. I’m thinking about attaching red tape to unit, then applying no shine tape to attach to scalp. Just looking for options to make lace clean up a little easier. Do you think that is a viable option to remove from lace or just more work with no results.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi David

I'm not sure that will work. You will (if I understand you right) be sticking the adhesive surface of the red tape to the adhesive surface of the No-Shine tape, so you will get a very strong bond between the two strips of tape, and you won't be be able to separate them. The bond between the two tapes will be stronger than the bond between the red tape and the base.

Noah

David1776

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi David

I'm not sure that will work. You will (if I understand you right) be sticking the adhesive surface of the red tape to the adhesive surface of the No-Shine tape, so you will get a very strong bond between the two strips of tape, and you won't be be able to separate them. The bond between the two tapes will be stronger than the bond between the red tape and the base.

Noah
Noah, my hopes for this is to have lighter adhesive touching the base, hopefully, easier to remove from lace and still have a stronger bond on my scalp. I would try to separate the two tapes. So th e red tape wouldn’t stay on like the poly does, but would hopefully clean off the lace easier than long term tape. Of course this is predicated on the red tape making and keeping a better bond to the lace than it would to my scalp. Just trying to think outside the box to reduce cleaning time and effort.

Noah

Reaction score
Understood, but I really don't think you will be able to separate the two layers of tape without pulling the whole lot off the base.

Here's another idea. Get a strong tape like No-shine, take off the backing paper on one side, dab cotton wool on the sticky surface, then use 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean the cotton wool and lint off the tape. Now you have a tape with one glued side and one plain side. Attach the glued side to your piece as if it were a poly strip, and apply glue or a lighter tac tape to it to attach your piece to your scalp. That might work. Worth a try anyway.

Noah

Reaction score
At least even if it doesn't work, it won't destroy your unit.

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think this would work well.

You could get some liquid poly from amidbeauty.com . Then turn the base inside out onto a head block. Then just paint the liquid poly into the lace, like you're painting knot sealer.

But I think it would be messy. It could go too far up and get into the hair roots. I wouldn't do it.

I'd say just order it for your next system.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I sent a few pieces to have the poly added and it only cost like 20 bucks. I really don't know how they did it.

David1776

My Regimen
Reaction score
I sent a few pieces to have the poly added and it only cost like 20 bucks. I really don't know how they did it.
What company did you send the pieces to for this?That sounds like a good option for the system I have now. I’ve got two custom systems with poly on order, but who knows they will arrive.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What company did you send the pieces to for this?That sounds like a good option for the system I have now. I’ve got two custom systems with poly on order, but who knows they will arrive.
Toplace, but I don't know If the owner will do it if your not already a customer. I have been a customer for years. If my supplier can have poly added I don't see why your supplier cannot do the same.

I have a few new pieces with poly on the sides and back that I might sell; I am unable to use them for I lost more hair and they are too small. They are blonde pieces and can easily be dyed