How Can A 18 Y/o Male Regrow Hairs After Initial Shedding From Anti-androgens?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Irrespective of that, the action of Raloxifene on hair is still unknown. And even if it doesn't affect hair growth, a healthy lipid profile and bone density is still important. NSAAs, in my opinion, make the body form healthy estrogen levels to regulate the HPG axis, since androgens are pretty much useless in the body. So, taking NSAAs(Bicalutamide) and SERMs(Raloxifene) together is not very appealing.
I had a post on an already existing Metformin thread where I shared a link to a page that suggested that Metformin could be a possible treatment of breast cancer which is both safe and effective, unlike conventional Aromatase Inhibitors, because Metformin supposedly acts as a breast-specific aromatase inhibitor. Other effects on lipid profile, blood sugar levels and AMPK upregulation are a bonus.
Though Berberine is good for these purposes, there are a few problems with it. Firstly, there hasn't been enough research on it to determine its safety and effectiveness. Secondly, its effects on hair follicles is unknown, just like SERMs. Thirdly, its effects as a breast-specific aromatase inhibitor isn't documented. And finally, its bioavailability is very low.

Metformin's cancer reducing properties is most likely through AMPK activation and not breast aromatase. Numerous people report hair loss being a side effect of Metformin. Point is, don't add a bunch of drugs pointlessly.

Ein

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Metformin's cancer reducing properties is most likely through AMPK activation and not breast aromatase. Numerous people report hair loss being a side effect of Metformin. Point is, don't add a bunch of drugs pointlessly.
AMPK activation does have inhibitory effects on aromatase expression CYP19a1 in breast adipose stromal cells.
Link to the article: https://www.researchgate.net/public..._metformin_on_aromatase_transcript_expression
You should all the citations and you'll get it.
AMPK activation leads to aromatase inhibition, is what I can infer.
And the hair loss reported due to Metformin use must be due to Vitamin B12 deficiency.

Guido

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi how are you ? how is your regime? what do you think about my regimen flutamide 500 mg per day 2.5 mg finasteride, 6 mg estradiol, minoxidil lotion, nirazol 2%
Is there much difference between flutamide and bicalutamide? I read in other post about neotenia hehe ... I'm also neotenic I'm 27 and I look like 22 ...

Maave

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ein hasn't posted in a few weeks. His regimen was 50mg bicalutamide and sometimes tamoxifen.

There's not a lot of difference between bicalutamide and flutamide. Bica has a much longer half life and might have fewer side effects but the results should be the same.

Do you need the estradiol? 6mg estradiol plus anti-androgen will definitely cause some body feminization. If that's your goal then continue but if you only want hair regrowth then consider reducing/removing the estridiol or using a topical E cream instead. The rest of the regimen sounds fine.

Guido

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Maave, post: 1736747, miembro: 136306"] Ein no ha publicado en algunas semanas. Su régimen era 50 mg de bicalutamida y, a veces, tamoxifeno.

No hay mucha diferencia entre la bicalutamida y la flutamida. Bica tiene una vida media mucho más larga y puede tener menos efectos secundarios, pero los resultados deberían ser los mismos.

¿Necesitas el estradiol? 6 mg de estradiol más anti-andrógeno definitivamente causará cierta feminización del cuerpo. Si ese es su objetivo, continúe, pero si solo desea que el cabello vuelva a crecer, considere la posibilidad de reducir / eliminar el estridiol o usar una crema E tópica en su lugar. El resto del régimen suena bien. [/ QUOTE]
How are you doing with bicalutamide?

Maave

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've only been on it for a couple weeks so I haven't seen any results yet

Ein

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm really sorry I wasn't posting for so long. I sure am incredibly busy nowadays.
I'm sensing the two of you were looking for updates about my regimen and results.
Well, there hasn't been a lot of changes. I'm still on 50mg Bicalutamide and added 1mg Finasteride and 1000mg Metformin around 4 months ago. I didn't really observe my hair before the hair loss began, so I'm not totally sure, but I guess my hair is pretty much back to my childhood density. Though my hairline looks kinda asymmetrical and more regrowth is expected owing to the fact that I still have a lot of superfine hairs around my temples and crown that I occasionally shed. It's kinda hard to notice anyway, because my hair is really really long now.
As far as the regimen suggestion was concerned, I'd agree to Maave. Estradiol really sounds absolutely and utterly unnecessary.

spirotrt

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm really sorry I wasn't posting for so long. I sure am incredibly busy nowadays.
I'm sensing the two of you were looking for updates about my regimen and results.
Well, there hasn't been a lot of changes. I'm still on 50mg Bicalutamide and added 1mg Finasteride and 1000mg Metformin around 4 months ago. I didn't really observe my hair before the hair loss began, so I'm not totally sure, but I guess my hair is pretty much back to my childhood density. Though my hairline looks kinda asymmetrical and more regrowth is expected owing to the fact that I still have a lot of superfine hairs around my temples and crown that I occasionally shed. It's kinda hard to notice anyway, because my hair is really really long now.
As far as the regimen suggestion was concerned, I'd agree to Maave. Estradiol really sounds absolutely and utterly unnecessary.

When you switched from spironolactone to bica, did the bica make the shedding worse or improve?

Ein

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It did increase my shedding, but I was also taking isotretnoin at that time, so I'm not really sure what caused the increase in shedding.
Anyway, I'm fine now. My hair is way better than before, I guess (particularly at my hairline).

Ein

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Progress update:
My hair loss has completely stopped, but there are some hairs with extremely less diameter. These hairs grow just as long as the other hairs, but are very difficult to see. My shedding has pretty much been normal, with the exception of a few days in the past six months. My gynecomastia is mild, and barely noticeable in clothes. My regimen has been the same for almost one year, and it includes oral Bicalutamide 50mg and Finasteride 1mg daily. Other things that I take include Metformin 1000mg, and a few nutritional supplements like Vitamins D3, B12, C, E, etc. though not necessarily for androgenic alopecia.

Attachments

• Crown - Dry Hair.jpg
    Crown - Dry Hair.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 725
  • Crown - Wet Hair.jpg
    Crown - Wet Hair.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 669
  • Hairline & Temple - Dry Hair.png
    Hairline & Temple - Dry Hair.png
    672.9 KB · Views: 752
  • Left Temple - Dry Hair.png
    Left Temple - Dry Hair.png
    984.9 KB · Views: 753
  • Right Temple - Dry Hair.png
    Right Temple - Dry Hair.png
    824.3 KB · Views: 747
  • Top Front Scalp - Wet Hair.jpg
    Top Front Scalp - Wet Hair.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 678
  • Top Mid Scalp - Wet Hair.jpg
    Top Mid Scalp - Wet Hair.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 646

Bagels

Established Member
Reaction score
thx for posting. I'll be starting topical bicalutamide soon, not willing to risk worse sides.

What is the metformin for?

Father_of_Shiseido

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Progress update:
My hair loss has completely stopped, but there are some hairs with extremely less diameter. These hairs grow just as long as the other hairs, but are very difficult to see. My shedding has pretty much been normal, with the exception of a few days in the past six months. My gynecomastia is mild, and barely noticeable in clothes. My regimen has been the same for almost one year, and it includes oral Bicalutamide 50mg and Finasteride 1mg daily. Other things that I take include Metformin 1000mg, and a few nutritional supplements like Vitamins D3, B12, C, E, etc. though not necessarily for androgenic alopecia.
Looks good @Ein.