How Are People So Ignorant Of Their Own Hair Loss?

Feelsbadman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
is it a coping mechanism or are they genuinely just ignorant?

i have a friend who is thinning and is just about at NW3.
I've said things to him off hand like 'man i'm depressed my hair is receding'
and he has said things like 'don't worry, my dad is bald i'll probably go bald too'

it's absolutely mind blowing how he doesn't notice it.

I've also seen people online post and say 'is my hair receding? ' then attach a pic of their hair and it's extremely thin/obvious balding or NW3+

it's crazy. how do people not notice this?

byebyehair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

and he has said things like 'don't worry, my dad is bald i'll probably go bald too'

I've also seen people online post and say 'is my hair receding? ' then attach a pic of their hair and it's extremely thin/obvious balding or NW3+

I noticed my hairloss when you could see the scalp in the vrown area when my hair is dry and i had at least NW3 in the front.

I just did not care and therefore did not see it. And I think this is the reason I think it is not that important to others because i m not sure if a fullhead detects a NW3 or lower...

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I think it's denial. For a long time I tried to ignore my hair-loss. I told myself it wasn't so bad. Then every now and then you have an awful photo and it looks a lot worse than you thought. You panic. It's a big step to actually admit it's real and it's going to keep getting worse if you do nothing. For me there was a barrier to going to the shop to buy regaine. I just felt so self-conscious about it. Thank God for the internet as I can order online without fear of embarrassment. Also, the fear of taking a treatment like finasteride was a barrier. You don't want to face it.

Panda89

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always thought my hair loss was going to halt by some point leaving me with a matured hairline and some weird looking vertex. I was in such a weird denial I'm still having a hard time to understand why i was like that.

I love researching stuff and I would sometimes spend hours on a topic just looking up on things. but in the 8+ years i was going through hair loss i never had once searched for anything related to hair loss. When i finally did this April I remember my ears getting hot from embarrassment just from researching and looking up on hair loss treatments online. I felt i was being vain, unmanly, and wasnt going to buzz my hair down like i always said i would.

but once i started researching i booked an appointment with a doctor pretty quickly after that. followed by having that conversation with my family about seeking hair loss treatment. It was weird.. embarrassing to say to least.

If i had to guess it was probably a very depressive state that i was going through for years right when my hair loss started.. when you are depressed you simply stop caring about what is happening to you. I think most people are in denial for something.. we all have flaws and most of us don't make an active effort to change everything we know that is wrong with us. it's definitely a coping mechanism.. if i don't do anything that shows that i care, maybe i'll really start believing that about me too.

a combination of lack of confidence (believing that your effort would make a difference), depression (not caring what happens to your future self), and denial (if i tell myself i don't care and act like it, it might eventually become true).

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's denial. For a long time I tried to ignore my hair-loss. I told myself it wasn't so bad. Then every now and then you have an awful photo and it looks a lot worse than you thought. You panic. It's a big step to actually admit it's real and it's going to keep getting worse if you do nothing. For me there was a barrier to going to the shop to buy regaine. I just felt so self-conscious about it. Thank God for the internet as I can order online without fear of embarrassment. Also, the fear of taking a treatment like finasteride was a barrier. You don't want to face it.

I remember that stage as well, I was also too embarrassed to ask a dermatologist for finasteride for a long time, because I thought it would be vain. It didn’t go well with my self-image...wearing a hair system now, since finasteride has failed me. Funny how that goes.

My advice to balding men is to not wait and take the drugs as soon as possible, if they only have the slightest inclination to do something about their hair loss. Not because I think finasteride is a completely harmless drug, but because I think they will inevitably go down that route at a later stage out of desperation anyways.

So from a pragmatic point of view, PFS or not the only thing you have to lose is hair by waiting longer for the inevitable.

Dan13194

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe it's not something they think about, I wish I didn't. In comparison to your friend you sound kind of like the douche in this situation.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was never like that...I jumped on treatments. Unfortunately my main issue was the top and my hairline was okay and I never noticed it till it was bad enough to see it since you normally cannot see the crown/vertex!!!

g.i joey

Reaction score
i have a really short friend who knows i worry about my hair as i sort of use self deprecating humor when with them talking about my hairline and etc, he always asks me if i think hes gonna go bald, and when i say "yes of course, youre already thinning and receded" he says "nah bro, i think my hair was always like that, but i wouldnt be surprised if it happens in the future"

some poeple like to live in denial, others, like us, dont

g.i joey

Reaction score
Maybe it's not something they think about, I wish I didn't. In comparison to your friend you sound kind of like the douche in this situation.

how is he a douche for identifying a problem and tackling it, its not like he's calling his friend out or anything, hes just throwing it out there in hopes that his friend, who is obviously in a similar situation can empathize

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
I never understood it either. The day I noticed some extra hair fall and slight recession at the hair line I got on finasteride.

Balding Boulder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I totally get where you’re comung from. I was utterly embarrassed about the first time I went up to the pharmacy counter with a Regaine display box I had picked up off the shelf — I was only 20. I did that about six times in a year. On one occassion the lady behind the counter questioned me whilst there was a queue of people behind me. She didn’t believe I should be using the product because I wasn’t bald enough. She obviously knew nothing about male pattern baldness.

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember that stage as well, I was also too embarrassed to ask a dermatologist for finasteride for a long time, because I thought it would be vain. It didn’t go well with my self-image...wearing a hair system now, since finasteride has failed me. Funny how that goes.

My advice to balding men is to not wait and take the drugs as soon as possible, if they only have the slightest inclination to do something about their hair loss. Not because I think finasteride is a completely harmless drug, but because I think they will inevitably go down that route at a later stage out of desperation anyways.

So from a pragmatic point of view, PFS or not the only thing you have to lose is hair by waiting longer for the inevitable.

How does your hair system looks? Can anyone tell?

LosingHairIsNotFair

Established Member
Reaction score
I would tell your friend that he's starting to recede so that he can do something about it. Be a bro. I mean, I don't know what your situation is, but I would tell him.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
2E95F010-B917-4194-A77C-ED92DED832DF.jpeg

How does your hair system looks? Can anyone tell?

No, looks good.

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Get some therapy lad, your anger is off the charts. I’m a Norwood 5, fight me.

handsOn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to post this here, but do any of you guys know when I’d be capable of making my own thread? I wasn’t able to and it said something about becoming a more established member.